Mentally ill MoFos

Tools    

I remember a john waters movie with johnny knoxville as a sex maniac trying to convince everyone not to take anti depressants because it kills your sex drive.
A Dirty Shame.

So in my beer pong days, throwing a 2.8 oz ball for a $50,000 prize you'd have a dozen of your opponents friends screaming in your face from 2 feet away. really loud obnoxious people from new york and new jersey, etc.

The way I coped with this was not noise canceling headphones or ear muffs, neither of those are as effective at blocking out sound as what I used. I bought special head phones that were like ear plugs you would wear at a shooting range. But the ear plug had a wire going through it and a speaker to play music INSIDE of your ear. It was the most effective by far at removing any audio stimulus.

For Misophonia, the best people can do is develop coping mechanisms as there is no cure or treatment.

Noise cancelling headphones, ear muffs (I use the kind used at firing ranges)

All so he won't have to hear his neighbors' TV.

Originally Posted by Captain Steel
Some studies now suggest it may be more a physical condition having to do with neurological audio pathways that stimulate parts of the brain that cause rage or fear responses.
You know -- I bet it's psychological. Why is it you have no problem hearing fans, stereos and other sources of "white noise" -- but you can't stand hearing your neighbors or people chewing?

Deep psychological reasons sound like the culprit. You people are just deeply angry at others. You can't stand knowing that other people are enjoying television, enjoying their lives.

I've read a lot of the sensitivity has to do with your emotional state and what's going on in your life. The more depressed, unfulfilled or out of control you already feel, the worse the misophonia will be.
Sure. You're pissed off and unhappy with your life. You're looking for ways to take out the anger. Getting angry and getting annoyed at sounds keeps you from thinking about your own problems, your own misery. It gives you an excuse to vent, to feel angry, so you won't feel the depression.

But it you're active, exercise, sleep well, eat right, have positive relationships & friendships, varied interests, hobbies, and most importantly have or are working toward a fulfilling purpose or goal - these are all ways to improve your emotional state & focus on external things which seems to lower sensitivity in some people.
'Cause if you're happy, you won't mind that other people are happy.

My situation improved remarkably this past year due to a few triggers disappearing - a lady with a loud, non-stop, barking dog moved away, the people across the street's kids seemed to lose interest in the basketball hoop they set up (which was right outside my bedroom window), and at another house across the street, I think a girl broke up with her boyfriend who would come there with this horribly rumbling car engine that he'd just park & let run outside my house.
You hated all these people being happy, I think. You hated the lady having a dog. You hated the kids outside playing and being young and happy. You hated the girl's boyfriend because he had a girl and was getting laid and all that. That's my suspicion.

Sorry to go on about this - but I haven't really talked to anyone about it.
Most people haven't heard of it, aren't interested or think you're just describing common disturbance (but you're being an over-sensitive, whiny, little girly-man about it!)
I'm interested, as I've told you. Though -- watch out. People tend to hate what I have to say.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	earmuffs.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	23501  

Well.. if it is truly unbearable.. you can always make yourself deaf.
Plenty of deaf people live happy and productive lives.

Granted it would need to be extreme to take such extreme measures.
As crazy as it sounds, there were times I wished I was deaf.

Although, as described, some sounds are actually vibrations I feel in my chest. If it's at that percussive frequency it really drives me insane - like the car I described. I could "feel" it more than I could "hear" it. So for those vibrations, even being deaf might not help.

I also love music and a lot of other sounds - so there's that.

Ironically, I like the sound of a train that often wakes me up by blowing its whistle at 3:00 in the morning. I don't like being woken up, but I just like the sound of trains - especially the chug-chug sound on the tracks in the distance.

And I live a block away from a firehouse - the siren is annoying, but that's it - it's just loud & annoying. I don't have a misophonic reaction to it (probably because I know its duration when it goes off). I was peeved a few years ago when they changed the siren to sound twice whenever it goes off - a 30 second blast, a 30 second interval, followed by another 30 second blast. It's annoying that it now goes off twice every time. I'm so close to it that it's almost deafening when it goes off, but again, it's simply an annoyance, it's not like the Chinese water torture of my triggers.

Very weird, isn't it?

I liked your theories, Sexy.

I did learn to hate the lady with the dog - because she was inconsiderate & she turned out to be psycho.

But I like the people with the kids & the basketball hoop.

And I'm cool with the people who had the daughters with the boyfriends.
Here's where I have to contest your theory - there were 2 girls in the house across the street and they both had boyfriends come "visit."
So from my POV, both boyfriends were getting laid. So why was the only one that infuriated me the one with the loud car?
And when he stopped coming around, the other boyfriend was still coming there (to get laid), yet I had no feelings of rage toward him even if I'd go out and see his (nice, quiet) car there.

In all seriousness, doctors & psychologists are undecided whether it's a physical or mental condition as there are attributes that seem to suggest both.

I liked your theories, Sexy.

I did learn to hate the lady with the dog - because she was inconsiderate & she turned out to be psycho.

But I like the people with the kids & the basketball hoop.

And I'm cool with the people who had the daughters with the boyfriends.
Here's where I have to contest your theory - there were 2 girls in the house across the street and they both had boyfriends come "visit."
So from my POV, both boyfriends were getting laid. So why was the only one that infuriated me the one with the loud car?
And when he stopped coming around, the other boyfriend was still coming there (to get laid), yet I had no feelings of rage toward him even if I'd go out and see his (nice, quiet) car there.

In all seriousness, doctors & psychologists are undecided whether it's a physical or mental condition as there are attributes that seem to suggest both.
I think because -- and this is kinda based on some stuff I've heard before -- you have selective psychological "excuses" for when you're allowed to feel the rage you have inside you.

Loud car = an excuse to get angry. To vent your anger and have an excuse for why you're doing it. If it's a quiet car, you don't have the excuse. You can't tell people, "That quiet car is driving me crazy!" You have to have the louder car as an excuse to be angry. It could also represent all your frustrations and rage with guys who are coming over to visit their girls. Not just that one guy, but all of them.

With the kids and the basketball hoop... it might be unconscious rage. You aren't really aware of something about it that is frustrating you. Maybe you're envious that you can't go outside and play hoops, too? Maybe you wish you were young again. It might not be a hatred of THEM -- it could be sadness. You're sad that you can't be young and play basketball, be a carefree kid again.

All of these things build up rage inside of you and you vent/express it through this thing called "misophonia." That is my psychological theory about it. Misophonia is an excuse. You can deal just fine with other sounds. The sounds you're angry about -- that drive you crazy -- represent deep psychological issues you have within yourself. Something about those sounds represents an issue you have. Something that makes you angry or sad or something.

Your theories sound good, and I'm not trying to discredit them or say there may not be some truth to them.

But the same kids who got the basketball hoop would play outside before the hoop showed up - yet hearing them play or scream didn't effect me - so if it was a case where I wished I could play, or be young again, or be free, or have friends, or have kids, or be a young dad with a hot wife, or whatever, then I should've had a reaction. I should've turned the sound of little sneakers on the pavement or screaming, or tricycle horns into a trigger - an excuse to feel that latent rage. But I didn't start having a reaction until I heard (or felt) the basketball. When they are still out there playing (something other than basketball) I have no reaction.

How do you apply these theories to the more "typical" misos? Not that there's anything typical about the condition, but for the people who say, can't stand to hear anyone chewing, whether it's their brother who they've lived with all their life or a stranger at the next table in a restaurant?

What intrigues me is the selective nature of it - why some sounds become triggers and others don't.

Not that this has anything to do with it, but you know those mouse repellers that you plug in and they emit a sonic frequency? I've always been able to "hear" those - and I don't blame the mice for leaving because they are quite annoying.

Your theories sound good, and I'm not trying to discredit them or say there may not be some truth to them.

But the same kids who got the basketball hoop would play outside before the hoop showed up - yet hearing them play or scream didn't effect me - so if it was a case where I wished I could play, or be young again, or be free, or have friends, or have kids, or be a young dad with a hot wife, or whatever, then I should've had a reaction. I should've turned the sound of little sneakers on the pavement or screaming, or tricycle horns into a trigger - an excuse to feel that latent rage. But I didn't start having a reaction until I heard (or felt) the basketball. When they are still out there playing (something other than basketball) I have no reaction.
Selective excuses.

It's not acceptable -- psychologically -- in your unconscious mind -- to complain about sneakers, or kids laughing/screaming/playing. Even tricycles aren't something to complain about. But the basketball -- that was acceptable. That was psychologically risk-free to complain about. To be annoyed at. Maybe even the basketball itself represents something in your past that bothers you. It could be related to some other event, something that may have traumatized you.

How do you apply these theories to the more "typical" misos? Not that there's anything typical about the condition, but for the people who say, can't stand to hear anyone chewing, whether it's their brother who they've lived with all their life or a stranger at the next table in a restaurant?
I think we live in a victim oriented culture. I think -- for example, this misophonia thing -- I think a lot of people have issues that are not biologically based, but are actually psychological. I think the mind is a very powerful thing and a lot of times, people's issues are not biological - not something they're born with and can't control -- I believe in psychology and psychological reasons behind things. The "victim oriented culture" are the people who hide behind their issues and use excuses for all their problems -- a common one, I believe, is "I was born this way and I can't change it. I'm a victim of my own genetics. My brain is this way -- I can't change who I am." It's not a popular opinion at all -- in fact, I'm saying something that would probably largely be considered unpopular.

But I think that's what it is. I think you have a psychological need to have misophonia. Now, I'm not saying all mental illness is "all in your head." I don't know what to say about Swan and his schizophrenia. That could very well be real. But this misophonia thing.... I think it's bull. I think your mind and your psyche has been set up to experience these issues.

What intrigues me is the selective nature of it - why some sounds become triggers and others don't.
Think about the sounds that don't bother you. You don't have a misophonic reaction to the firehouse sirens. Firemen are helpful heroes who provide a good service to society. You seem to like heroes. Look at your Superman avatar. Why would you be bothered by good people, heroes like firemen? You're not bothered, because you respect them and they don't make you angry. So you don't have a psychological hangup there.

Not that this has anything to do with it, but you know those mouse repellers that you plug in and they emit a sonic frequency? I've always been able to "hear" those - and I don't blame the mice for leaving because they are quite annoying.
Do you really hear them or do you just imagine it? You don't like the mice repellers. It's a bad service. It's hurting the mice. You don't like that.

Unofrtunately something being in our heads makes it no less real.
As our father who art in zion, morpheus tells us, that what you can see, feel, hear and taste is no more than electrical impulses interpreted by our brain.

So are we all mentally ill?
everyone suffers from some type of mental illness because none of our brains are completely working properly....

everyone has some type of chemical imbalance.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I used to be quite bad when I was about 13-15/16, in that I used to be quite badly depressed and I was very panicky. Luckily though things got better quite quickly, although I still get a little anxious at times, but usually during normal situations like waiting to sit an exam and stuff like that.

I have no idea how I got over it though, I remember my counsellor being a bit of a prick, but I think what I was diagnosed with (Adjustment Disorder/Situational Depression) is only temporary anyway, although looking back, leaving my school probably had quite a bit to do with me getting over it too!

along with my depression .. i do have a bit of a obsessive compulsive disorder.. I will actually count as I do certain things or i will do things the exact same way everyday and nothing better throw me out of sync...

my daughter says I have an adrenaline issue... as well... i have an extremely high heart rate.. not blood pressure but heart rate... even when sitting in a chair resting for 30 minutes or so.... like 188bpm

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I jerk off an insane amount. Does that count?
I always knew you were one kinky bastard.

I jerk off an insane amount. Does that count?
That is still continuing.. you have that for at least 1 year... go to the doctor!!!