MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

I started off by emphasizing protein and avoiding carbs. I still mostly do that, but I think more of total calories now. But it happens naturally anyway, since most of the things you need to eat to not be hungry while still keeping calories low end up being pretty high in protein.
I love protein. When my blood sugar starts to plunge (because I’m very hungry) protein does the trick quickly.

For example, I know on paper it's supposed to be very important to eat a good breakfast, but I find it very hard to do that and still stick to a good, sustainable diet.
Breakfast is my favorite meal. I have zero interest in dinner so I no longer eat it. As you say, whatever works best for the individual is what works best.

I guess I'd say protein more than fat, but yeah, low carb in general.
I hate fat with a passion. Love carbs. But try to substitute protein instead.

Pssst. @Yoda. You don't have to eat breakfast. That whole thing about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is BALONEY.

Just don't eat late at night. That's the only real rule, tbh. Makes sense because that's when asses are on couches. Lunch. Make a BIG DEAL about lunch. And then eat light af at dinner but not too late.

A system of cells interlinked
*Eats another taco*

I happen to be somebody who is always skinny though, but external looks dont = internal health.

I happen to be somebody who is always skinny though, but external looks dont = internal health.
This is definitely a distinction I've had to make. I dropped a lot of weight, starting a few years ago, but learned quickly there was a difference between losing weight and getting in shape. The latter is coming, but it's much slower.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have zero interest in dinner so I no longer eat it.
Wow - I wake up and go at least 14-15 hours without eating, and I only eat then because I couldn't sleep unless I was really stuffed.

Pssst. @Yoda. You don't have to eat breakfast. That whole thing about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is BALONEY.

Just don't eat late at night. That's the only real rule, tbh. Makes sense because that's when asses are on couches. Lunch. Make a BIG DEAL about lunch. And then eat light af at dinner but not too late.
Interesting. I'm kind of of the opinion that breakfast is an important meal. I always feel when I have a really good breakfast that my system is regulated throughout the day, including my hunger.

That said, there are so many "authority" figures and even non-authority figures telling people contradictory things about health that it's difficult to navigate what's true or not. You kind of just have to find what works for you.

Also re: calories. I'm not personally a fan of counting calories because it unnecessarily overcomplicates things for me. I just try to focus on eating the rights things and eating the appropriate amount i.e. not too much like a lot of people do nowadays.

Most of us have a pretty intuitive sense of how to eat healthier. All the crazy diets and calorie counting can be counterproductive, at least for me.

Yeah, I'd say all the general advice is a good starting point because it usually works for most people, but it makes sense to tweak it based on how it feels.

It does change over time, though. Calorie counting wasn't my thing at all early on, but after a year or so of weight loss I found it helped me break through another weight "plateau," so to speak. Part of it was the math angle, where I knew that if I ate fewer than X calories it was nearly impossible for me not to go down. That uncertainty was the main thing that frustrated me in the past, feeling like I was expending effort without necessarily seeing results, not being certain that effort would be reward, etc.

Anyway, just see what works, and keep reevaluating, since after awhile you really will be a different person, and have different challenges.

Interesting. I'm kind of of the opinion that breakfast is an important meal. I always feel when I have a really good breakfast that my system is regulated throughout the day, including my hunger.

That said, there are so many "authority" figures and even non-authority figures telling people contradictory things about health that it's difficult to navigate what's true or not. You kind of just have to find what works for you.
Yep. Bodies are different. I see it all the time with the natural anti-inflammatories. Some people swear by rosehip, others by curcumin or methylsulfonylmethane. To me it appears as though everyone's bodies have personalities. Things they like and dislike.

Counting calories totally works for me but then I'm a very slow counter so it leaves me relatively little time in which to actually eat anything.

Yeah, I'd say all the general advice is a good starting point because it usually works for most people, but it makes sense to tweak it based on how it feels.

It does change over time, though. Calorie counting wasn't my thing at all early on, but after a year or so of weight loss I found it helped me break through another weight "plateau," so to speak. Part of it was the math angle, where I knew that if I ate fewer than X calories it was nearly impossible for me not to go down. That uncertainty was the main thing that frustrated me in the past, feeling like I was expending effort without necessarily seeing results, not being certain that effort would be reward, etc.

Anyway, just see what works, and keep reevaluating, since after awhile you really will be a different person, and have different challenges.
It's a journey, isn't it? And yeah, there are definitely some common suggestions that work across the board, I agree. Not many will argue that vegetables are bad, for example.

I lost 30 lbs in 4 months just by staying under 1600 xalories for most thd week. Even if i went over 1600 it didnt matter because i work my butt off at my job. Lots of squattind dow, walking, lifting and repetitive movements involving constant repositioning with pivotal ankle movements.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Where is Minio at? I need somebody to vouch for the IF.

I have never done anything that made me feel this good. Not weight gaining, no carb, protein heavy, near vegetarian (or whatever you wanna label it), supplemented to the gills, none of it.

Doing IF is so easy. I don't count anything and I eat before I go to bed every night. I'm eating non-processed food for the most part with no sugar. My book shows my weight being within a 4 lb range for months. The energy is great. Hunger is not an issue and I am a face-stuffer. Better than I have felt in the past 20 years.

I'm not selling anything. I just think it makes things so easy and easy makes things stick.

Where is Minio at? I need somebody to vouch for the IF.

I have never done anything that made me feel this good. Not weight gaining, no carb, protein heavy, near vegetarian (or whatever you wanna label it), supplemented to the gills, none of it.

Doing IF is so easy. I don't count anything and I eat before I go to bed every night. I'm eating non-processed food for the most part with no sugar. My book shows my weight being within a 4 lb range for months. The energy is great. Hunger is not an issue and I am a face-stuffer. Better than I have felt in the past 20 years.

I'm not selling anything. I just think it makes things so easy and easy makes things stick.
ill bite..whats IF?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Beyond the weight benefits it helps with your insulin sensitivity which is a huge benefit. I was initially sold when I heard that George St. Pierre (MMA fighter) uses it and extolled its virtue.

My experience has been that the hunger is a non-issue after the first day or two and my energy is not subject to peaks and valleys now. It just made sense when I thought about how primitive humans wouldn't have had food stores, but still need the energy to hunt even if they hadn't fed recently.

Well, the weight is starting to go down again. I may have lost five pounds since last week, though it's more likely around three.

I remember that month I lost 24 pounds, that was the best month. But I think I charged into it and burnt myself out. Hopefully this time, where it's more of a challenge doing this stuff and I'm not clicking into health mode in a day, will last longer.

Its funny, ive actually been mixing a smi gast in with calorie reduction.

Ie..ill drink a shake morning, eat a bagel noon. Dinner of fish rice.

Next day ill have bagel morning. Shake lunch then chicken dinner.

Not a full fast bug pretty damn close considering my energy oytput at work.