Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

Triangle
(Christopher Smith, 2009)

[REWATCH]

I liked this a lot when I first saw it. I always remembered it being a mindf*ck kind of horror movie. I wanted to show it to my friend, who liked Primer and loved Coherence when I showed those to him. I was hoping for a similar experience. Unfortunately, he didn't care for it, and I didn't either this time. In the beginning I was hoping to be able to forgive the poor filmmaking once the mindgame stuff started. But that stuff - which was honestly the main draw for me revisiting it - was underwhelming, too. It's all a bit predictable. Fortunately, the ending is pretty good.

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
(Ari Sandel, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

At it's worst, this film is a very poorly-made way to capitalize on a popular franchise. At it's best, it's at least entertaining and humble about it. I can't get behind the fact that they decided to forgo an anthology type film series built around the stories of the original books and instead chose to just throw a bunch of the creatures from the books into a pretty uninteresting story. Here, they do that - and then include a bunch of creatures that AREN'T in the books. And when they do add something from the books, for example the haunted mask, they do it a great disservice. I don't hate this film, mostly because it's not worth hating and because my best friend, a big Goosebumps fan, had a fun time which in turn made me happy, but I do hate how the studio went about "adapting" the books.

Halloween
(David Gordon Green, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Still need to digest this. I'm inclined to say I was underwhelmed, but I want to give it another chance. I shouldn't have been surprised. Honestly, this film made me realize that it's probably impossible to give the original Halloween a sequel that feels justified. The original is *perfect* in it's simplicity, it's like a folktale and concludes on such a haunting note that continuing the Myers storyline in any fashion would be detrimental, in my opinion. It was competently made, but nothing shined for me.

I also don't know why they called this simply Halloween? Shouldn't it be, like Halloween: Part 2 or something?

Halloween
(Rob Zombie, 2005)

[REWATCH]

Possibly the worst thing to come out of the Myers stuff, at least as bad as 6. Doesn't understand a single thing about what makes the original tick. I hate the origins segment that introduces the film the most. Myers is terrifying partly because he came from an average suburban family in the original, not because he came from a family that would obviously produce a psychopathic murderer.

Also, I want to punch and stab every character in this film as obnoxiously-violently as Michael does in this film. Because, as obnoxious and over the top as the violent is (the stall scene, where Michael bashes Ken Foree into the stall wall so violently it starts to bend and break, might be the funniest scene in the franchise just because of the pure silliness of it), none of that grates my nerves as much as the characters forced vulgarity does. Probably wasn't helped by the fact that most of these actors couldn't act. Especially Sheryl Moon. Man, she was bad.

I can get why a Halloween purist trashes Zombie's take, I found it fun to watch. When I developed my Hallowmas watchlist earlier in the year, it had lots of stuff, including the Zombie Halloween sequel, which I heard people thought was worse than his first one. I bypassed that particular viewing list though.

I can get why a Halloween purist trashes Zombie's take, I found it fun to watch. When I developed my Hallowmas watchlist earlier in the year, it had lots of stuff, including the Zombie Halloween sequel, which I heard people thought was worse than his first one. I bypassed that particular viewing list though.
Cool that you like it, man. I just can't get behind Rob Zombie as a director, and maybe even more so as a writer. To me, everything he writes feels unnatural and forced.

If I had to pick one thing I DID like, it was the theatrical ending...

WARNING: spoilers below
I like when she shoots him in the head and it cuts to her face as she's screaming, covered in blood. I wish it cut to black there, instead of fading to the photograph of her as a baby. That close-up screamed 70's grindhouse.

Welcome to the human race...
lmao did you borrow my colour-coding scheme and reverse the colours

I'll probably re-watch all the Halloween movies at some point before the month's out and I am more than a little curious to see how Zombie's version holds up since whenever I watched it (must be close to a decade at this point), though the fact that I also don't f*ck with his movies (Lords of Salem notwithstanding) could mean I'm just wasting my time. Am curious about his sequel, which I haven't seen and has its defenders (then again, so does The Devil's Rejects. If nothing else, I want to see what the hell Weird Al is doing in it.

lmao did you borrow my colour-coding scheme and reverse the colours
Don't believe so. I was doing that for a while.

So was I - first time I've really noticed you doing it, it seems. In my case, it evolved from my second Top 100 where I used it to denote changes in ranking from the first top 100 where blue meant new and red meant repeats that had dropped in ranking so that's why I use the colours that way. Any reason you picked those colours or not really?

So was I - first time I've really noticed you doing it, it seems. In my case, it evolved from my second Top 100 where I used it to denote changes in ranking from the first top 100 where blue meant new and red meant repeats that had dropped in ranking so that's why I use the colours that way. Any reason you picked those colours or not really?
Great minds and all.

I think it was mostly a gut thing, because blue and red felt the most starkly opposite. I mean, there's black and white, but that wouldn't really work.

You may have been doing it before me, but if there was any influence it was subconscious. Regardless, feel free to take ownership.

I originally thought of red and green as opposing colours (in the top 100, green meant a film had gone up in rank and red meant it had gone down) but you're right about there being a more visible contrast between the default red and blue on this site - the default green looks too dark and the bright "lime" green is an eyesore. Anyway, I first started using red/blue for watch/rewatch purposes in the One Movie A Day thread of 2015 and have stuck to it ever since so that's something. Great minds think alike, fools seldom differ.

Bad Times at the El Royale
(Drew Goddard, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

SO GOOD IT GETS ITS OWN POST

If it helps, I don't think you're alone. Opinions seem to vary greatly with this flick.

I've noticed. It's a shame as it was one of my most anticipated movies of the year and I remembered liking it pretty well as I watched it ,but I don't think it's really held up now that it's had a chance to sink in.

Still, I give it all the props for making fantastically deranged use of "Hush".

Swan, I'm at the cinema right now waiting for Bad Times at the El Royale to start!

I'll let you know what I think to it.

Also, how have you been bro?

Swan, I'm at the cinema right now waiting for Bad Times at the El Royale to start!

I'll let you know what I think to it.

Also, how have you been bro?
Good dude. How have you been? Hope you like it!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
(Shane Black, 2005)

[NEW WATCH]

I am not really a fan of movies breaking the fourth wall, but other than that this was a pretty awesome movie with a script full of great wit. And man, Michelle Monaghan is super foxy in this too.

Free Solo
(Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Since seeing this, I have not been able to think of a stunt that is as terrifying and dangerous as free soloing up El Capitan. The first thing I could think is the Man on Wire stunt, but even then, I think this is more... uh... hardcore. Intense as hell documentary.

The Hunt
(Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)

[NEW WATCH]

Absolutely enthralling story with great performances. The direction is sufficient, but mostly just allows the story to unfold without drawing attention to itself - a good thing.

mid90s
(Jonah Hill, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

I liked this movie quite a bit but it was unfortunate to see it forgo a lot of emotional depth in order to preserve it's admittedly pretty cool slice-of-life feel. It's also clearly a debut film, but there's a lot of good stuff here, including a great use of a lo-fi aesthetic.

Chronicle
(Josh Trank, 2012)

[REWATCH]

Criminally underrated, I love this movie. It's a pretty clever take on a Superhero film - like the origin of Superman told through the lens of Lex Luthor, who really loves video cameras.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
(James Cameron, 1991)

[REWATCH]

My friend hadn't seen this and I was stunned, so we put it on. Pretty awesome movie, back when James Cameron was really good. And the CGI might get all the credit for how revolutionary it is, but the most mindblowing effects are those in the unbelievable set-piece with the helicopter. Unbelievable! Un. Be. Lie. Vable.

The Apartment
(Billy Wilder, 1960)

[REWATCH]

Another film my friend hadn't seen, so I had to show it to him. I remembered Shirley MacLaine stealing the show, and she does, but Jack Lemmon totally holds his own against her. So does Billy Wilder. What a cool writer/director.

Trick 'r Treat
(Michael Dougherty, 2007)

[REWATCH]

Seen this movie so many freaking times at this point. But it's still good.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Re: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, I wish it boosted Kilmer's career as much as it did RDJ.

Suspect's Reviews

If I ever made a list of "movies I should love but seriously don't", Kiss Kiss Bang Bang would be pretty high on that list to the point where I'm honestly a little undecided as to whether or not I'd pick it over The Predator for his weakest movie.

It seems like you use the "forced vulgarity" criticism when talking about all of Zombie's films, but I agree with you in the case of Halloween (2007). I watched the remake in theaters and thought it was okay at the time, but I've never had any desire to re-visit it. I recently caught a few minutes of it on one of the movie channels, during the early white-trash domestic-drama-from-hell stages, and thought it was unwatchable. Everything felt forced to me. I can also see how the expanded backstory saps Myers of his mystique, although I've only seen the original once (back in high school when I doubt I was able to fully appreciate it), and the only sequel I've seen is whichever one had Busta Rhymes busting out kung-fu, so my opinion doesn't mean much.

Triangle was a pretty fun ride, but I'm skeptical that it would play as well on a second viewing. I used to own every single Goosebumps book. I credit the series for establishing my interest in horror at a young age. The first movie felt like it was made by people who had only glanced at the (admittedly awesome) glossy covers without reading the contents within. A shame to hear that the second film can't even get that much right.

Terminator 2 is a movie that I assume everyone has seen, so good of you to finally introduce it to your friend who has apparently been living under a rock. Glad to see positive reactions to The Hunt and The Apartment. I hated Chronicle, but I know I'm in the minority. Still surprised that Trick R' Treat has developed a loyal following. Don't know anything about mid90s, but curious to see what a Jonah Hill-directed film looks like.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?
(Marielle Heller, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Well-crafted and I would say I liked it, but it was a little too muted and one-note for me to appreciate fully. Melissa McCarthy definitely does a good job in a more serious role, though I don't know much about her comedic work.

The Wrestler
(Darren Aronofsky, 2008)

[REWATCH]

Haven't seen this since the year it came out, and it holds up incredibly well. It's a fantastic flick, and made even better when seen as a companion piece to Aronofsky's other film Black Swan. Both are about performance art but one focuses on high-brow performance art while the other focuses on the low-brow. Finding the commonalities in both is what makes them powerful together. As much as I like Black Swan, I think The Wrestler is an even more emotionally potent character study, with a tremendous performance from Rourke.

Suspiria
(Luca Guadagnino, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

I'm not surprised this has been polarizing, but man I loved it. It was a little different that I thought it was going to be, with a lot of unrestrained camerawork and experimentation overall, but I guess it was different from my expectations in the best ways because I thought it was outstanding. I will need to see it more times to fully digest it but I will with pleasure. It's the deformed sibling of the original, has the same blood but is it's own weird f*cked up thing. I don't think there will be a better scene this year than the Volk dance scene. Not sure how other fans of the original will take it, especially if they are going to go into it with a negative attitude. But Luca and co. really delivered on this. Look out for the Jessica Harper cameo! It can't be missed, and it's very emotionally resonant.

Bohemian Rhapsody
(Bryan Singer, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

I had heard this was bad but I was shocked to see how bad it really was. I think I was hoping to like it myself, but man, this is the second worst movie of the year so far for me (first being 15:17 to Paris). Rami Malek is not a bad actor but his performance here is not one for the ages, and he along with the script and direction portray Mercury not as a complex individual but as a hollow caricature of the real man. And that's what the entire movie is - a hollow caricature of the Queen story that focuses on a lot of meaningless BS and nothing of substance. To it's credit, the guy who played Brian May looked uncannily like the original May, though maybe it was the hair.