Does The Director Of A Movie Influence How Much You Like It?

Tools    

In general, the director is responsible for the finished product. Back in the "olden days", scripts were often so good that almost anybody could have directed a solid one and made a good movie. I just believe that there are far fewer excellent scripts being written nowadays. I don't really think it's arguable either; just look at all the roman numerals in the titles and the recognizable titles being palmed off as "new". On the other hand, I don't believe that Welles or Hitchcock can make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but they can still maybe make something more interesting than a sow director can! When the director also writes the scripts, he's generally going to get more credit and take more blame. That is unless the producer has a cast-iron contract and doesn't trust the guy he gave all that money to to make his movie.
I agree, Mark. It's no coincidence that some of the best directors--Sturges, Huston, Welles, and many others--were also writers. It's true the director has the guiding vision of a film, but sometimes the film editor can distort that vision. The director's work after the movie is filmed is just as important as when the camera is rolling.

Employee of the Month
Absolutely not. Tarantino was responsible for "Death Proof", Scorsese did "Gangs of New York", Michael Bay gave us "Pearl Harbor" and so on. If you like someone, you have to be honest. And honestly, all these movies are far below the quality level the fans are used to. .

A system of cells interlinked
Not sure what your point is with the above post. Gangs of New York is a fantastic film.

True, Michael Bay made Pearl Harbor, but he also made a bunch of other terrible films, because he is an awful director.

So yes, I definitely pay attention to the director of a film when considering whether or not to watch it.

Employee of the Month
As you see, The Departed in one of my Favorite Movies. In fact, apart from T2, it IS my favourite movie. Compared to this masterpiece GONY is just lame.

And Michael Bay? He does only no-brainers, but he has natural intuition for great camera-shots and cool design. Steven Spielberg noticed that and hired him for Transformers. I have just seen the Trailer for Part 2 and can`t wait to enjoy the whole destruction.

But at least, it`s all a matter of taste.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
You know, once someone has impressed me, be it a director or actor (or writer in rare cases such as Charlie Kaufman), I do think it influences my future reactions to their work. Sure I tend to rate a favorite director's work higher. I can't imagine I don't do that. I gather if they direct a particularly crappy movie I can be objective about it, but I tend to be pretty loyal. I like to give my favorite directors benefit of the doubt, similar to what Yoda said.

After LOTR, I will see anything Peter Jackson directs and I remember defending King Kong to people. Yet, if I was really honest about it, I really don't like the movie that much. I enjoyed the beginning and the end -- the New York scenes. But it was important for me to defend him. That's a double edged sword, though, as I expect him to wow me every time. Not sure anyone can do that.

I do with it authors a lot. I read a book, love it, then seek out their other work, usually that "first" book that has been reissued because the author wrote a well-received popular book. Then I burn out on the author, lol, and move to someone else. But usually, even if the other books aren't as good, I still recommend them to people.

I think it's human nature to want to relive that moment when an artist touched you so deeply that you seek out their other work and maybe rate it a tad higher. But, is every Hitchcock or Wilder film brilliant? Of course not.

Interesting question!

I have seen some movies like Jurassic Park and mummy.I like these two series very much.