MoFo Fantasy Football 2012 - Week 5

Tools    

The Bye weeks are upon us. Well, actually, they started last week, but only two teams were on Bye last week and one of them (Indianapolis) has precious few fantasy-relevant players, so it kinda feels like this is the beginning of it, with Dallas, Detroit, Oakland and Tampa Bay all on Bye.

11 Angry Men (2-2) vs. Liquor And Whores (3-1)
Both PW and I got hit by freight trains last week; he put up 101, I put up 123, but it hardly mattered, because both of our opponents put up more than 160. So it goes.

Romo's on Bye, so I'm rolling with Schaub, but he's actually been quite good. Nicks it out again, most likely, so that's a big blow, but I should have the depth to parry a lot of the damage. PW's without both Stafford and Murray this week, which is a big deal, but he's got Ponder in there with a really choice matchup, so he might not miss a beat, especially if Chris Johnson's 140 yards last week as the beginning of a rebound.

That said, I've got both Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez going against one of the softest pass defenses in the NFL, which I think should mitigate the fact that MJD and Charles both have fairly challenging matchups.

PREDICTION: Think I'll take this one.

The Replicants (0-4) vs. Sookie's Suckers (3-1)
Brutal start for Mike, who's now 0-4, but knowing him he'll fight all the way and he's still got a lot of talent to work with. Sookie had a huge week last week, mainly because she's loaded with Pats and they scored over 50 points. She'll have to fish for tight ends for at least one more week, though she survived easily even with a donut from that spot in week 4.

Neither team has particularly great matchups here, except for Seds who has both Eli and Cruz going against a pliable Cleveland pass defense. That's enough to tip the scales, prediction-wise, but I think this could be a modestly scoring affair.

PREDICTION: Replicants.

Team Zissou (2-2) vs. RG3scompany (3-1)
Big Bye week swing potential here; Fiscal's missing V-Jax and LeShoure, and Adam's not missing anyone. And there's lots of head-to-head drama, as Fiscal has both Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, who're playing the Redskins, while Adam has RG3. Moreover, Fiscal's Jackie Battle has been named the starter for San Diego over Adam's Ryan Mathews. So those two games will control a huge portion of this outcome.

Adam's team has held up better than I'd expected so far. I think at some point RG3's gonna have to have to growing pains, but I'm not sure they're happening this week. I think Atlanta might hamper him passing-wise, but Cam Newton ran on them pretty effectively. Then again, maybe that was good practice. Pretty tough call, but...

PREDICTION: ...I'll narrowly go with Adam here.

Big Damn Heroes (3-1) vs. Wyld Stallyns (2-2)
Jay's missing Doug Martin, Sleezy Jason Witten. Both are projected for strong totals (for a Bye week), though.

I really have no clue who's going to win this one. Nothing's jumping out. When in doubt, go with the guy who who's got Arian Foster, I guess. But I won't, because...forget it, I don't have to explain myself to you!

PREDICTION: Sleezy.

show me the money (0-4) vs. Dillon Panthers (2-2)
TONGO's still living or dying with Denver, so far, it's two of one, two of the other. They've got a nice matchup against New England, and Dusty's losing Austin to the Bye and probably Jennings to a groin injury. Fitz had a nice game last week, but the RB situation is still tricky. Yahoo thinks this is going to be a pretty low-scoring game on both sides, which I think is fairly likely. Lynch has a great matchup against the Panthers, though, who've given up the most points to running backs of any team so far, so...

PREDICTION: ...I'll go with TONGO.

I Be Weave (1-3) vs. Beantown Champs (3-1)
Probably the biggest Bye week absences of any of the matchups; Dex is missing Megatron, and Pete's missing McFadden. Dex has a lot of solid RB options but fewer at WR after the two Johnsons--Andre and Calvin--so going without the latter means trusting someone like Jerome Simpson. Pete's got some iffy guys in there, too, but Cobb's the only one that looks particularly likely to disappear.

PREDICTION: Pete.

If I picked against you, don't worry: my record so far this year is freakin' terrible.

First game's tonight; STL-ARI.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Don't worry I will lose yet again. It's sad to say because it looks like I'm not being competitive, yet there's only so much I can do. Oh well. The autopicks really did kill me though.

Larry Fitzgeralds caught 5 for 71 yds so far, but Ryan Williams is looking bleak.

Amendola went out with a serious injury. Looks like his clavicle. 2nd year in a row with a awful crap break. Have him in the Jungle, and he'll be hard to replace.

Yeah, I've got him in another league. Was sitting him, actually, because I have crazy WR depth, but now I guess it's a good thing I didn't trade any of it. Except him, I mean.

Initial tests were inconclusive; doing more today. Poor guy. Real bummer for him, if he's out long.

Meanwhile, big 18 point game for the Rams D last night, which I nabbed and slotted in this week just over Atlanta. Yay. Rough for PW, but since it came against the Cardinals I'm guessing he'll take it.

F*ckin' Cardinals. Couldn't even score a damn TD to at least make your defense have a normal total. It took ball-balls to slot St.Louis in there though. Good call.

Now Im nervous. ESPN is picking the Patriots to win, and McGahee might have trouble. Would be so easy to slap Alf in my RB2 slot, and play Maclin or Smith in the Flex. Ack! We should play a lineup freeze type style where once you hit Lineup Set it cant be changed.

Good grief, Tony Gonzalez is on pace for career highs in catches and TDs, and he's 36 years old.

I made a point to target him just about a week before the draft after largely looking elsewhere before, and I ended up taking him in both my leagues. That offense is pretty potent this year, and they sure look his way a lot.

Mike and LT just posted a picture of themselves on Facebook starting at a laptop.

Mike's got a big edge there right now, thanks to having both Eli and Victor Cruz, who've hooked up for three TDs today. Yowza. Cruz's line is 4 catches for 46 yards and 3 TDs, which is pretty much the WR equivalent of those "4 carries for 5 yards and 3 TDs" lines Jerome Bettis used to have.

Was cruising for a bit against PW but Jones just nabbed a late TD, so he's within 4. Jones only has 4 catches, but amazingly 2 of them are TDs.

I've probably still got an edge given our remaining players, but it's definitely a ball game.

Now trailing thanks to two more catches from Reggie Wayne, who's putting up stupid numbers. Which confirms my suspicion:

PW is Andrew Luck.
Nah, but I did get to see the kid play a bit in the Pac 10 and had a feeling that Wayne could be in for a good year. Luck can play, no doubt.