What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher

This is the Region A edition. I already have the Region B director's cut but read that the US version has a better picture and HD sound, probably because it's spread over two discs, film on one and extras on the other, so they could utilize the space more efficiently (it's running at almost twice the bitrate apparently).

Normally I wouldn't bother with such frippery because the European Zodiac is a stunning looking film - Whenever I want to show someone what Blu Ray can do I whack it on - but I couldn't resist probably my favourite film of the last half decade.

Apparently the US release is region-free. It'd bloody well better be.

Myra Breckinridge Ok ok I know But I it

The Best of the Greatest American Hero (1981)

The first four episodes for $1.99. I loved this show as a kid.
----
The Dark Knight (2008)

It was $4 and I still haven't seen it, so why not?

Waking Sleeping Beauty

Walt & El Grupo

The Nine Lives of Marion Barry

"Parks and Recreation" SEASON TWO
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I just ordered Midnight Madness (1980). My wife has been trying to remember the name of this movie for years. She loved it as a kid and finally remembered what it was. I've never seen it. She's been wanting to see it again for a while, so I broke down and ordered it for her.

Not a wonderful film (KC's wooden earnestness is a bit cloying in a 90 minute movie, let along something that I need to shave mid way through like Wyatt Earp) but it was £4 so, hey.

Much more like it.

I got to order my own Christmas presents. It's gonna be a Frank Capra Christmas.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

Meet John Doe (70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) (1941)

Plus, to qualify for the free shipping (and I got it cheaper than the shipping cost anyway),
The Matinee Idol (1928) - a silent Capra picture, and the DVD also has the documentary Frank Capra's American Dream (1997), which I have been wanting to see.

Can't seem to find the 'What was the last DVD you wanted to buy but couldn't because it's effing (sorry to take The Mark's name in vain ) expensive and unlikely to drop in price any time soon' thread so this'll have to do.

If you listen very carefully you can hear me weeping. A little.

Bloody HBO.

Can't seem to find the 'What was the last DVD you wanted to buy but couldn't because it's effing (sorry to take The Mark's name in vain ) expensive and unlikely to drop in price any time soon' thread so this'll have to do.

If you listen very carefully you can hear me weeping. A little.

Bloody HBO.

I hear you, mate. It was a very well made show.

Too well made, probably. Apparently one of the reasons for its premature demise was that the show cost so much to produce.

Oh, and nobody watched it either because human beings are inherently morons who'd rather watch Celebrity: That's My Arse - Live! than one of the greatest TV dramas ever made.

Bitter? Much? Certainly.

I bought the Lord of War bluray...sorry the editor thought my picture was a link for some reason.

I got this on blu-ray because it was under $10 and I consider it a really good movie which explores a big bad criminal who is by and large only guilty of what the United States government has been doing on a regular basis for years.

Too well made, probably. Apparently one of the reasons for its premature demise was that the show cost so much to produce.

Oh, and nobody watched it either because human beings are inherently morons who'd rather watch Celebrity: That's My Arse - Live! than one of the greatest TV dramas ever made.

Bitter? Much? Certainly.
Hard to justify spending money on gritty thought provoking westerns that doesn't do well ratings wise. It sucks but that's showbiz. I may buy myself a set too, actually, but probably just on DVD.

Do you find Blu Ray makes a big difference to your viewing pleasure, though??

I had to do some long ting to get

Basically, I looked on gumtree to see if anybody was selling it for a reasonable price. No such like. But then my bulb brightened. I came across a bloke selling The L Word entire series boxset for £25. I then went on the website for CEX (Computer Exchange) and checked out the exchange value for the series. It was £40 worth of exchange vouchers for L Word, which meant that I would make a good £15 profit even after using the vouchers to buy Dexter from the store. So I went to get the L Word and to my surprise I met 3 hardcore looking chavs who were more than happy for me to look through the set for a good 10 mins, making sure every disc ws crisp and clean. I found it hard to believe that these guys were fans of the show, so I assume they stole it off one of their relatives or whatever. No biggie, I didn't care, so gave the guy the 25 quid, got went to the Computer Exchange store all the way deep in north London, which is VERY far from me, exchanged the ****er for the vouchers and got Dexter.

Haven't watched an episode yet, I did the manly thing and borrowed the set to my sister, who is becoming a big fan of the show. Plus i've had crap loads of work to do so it's difficult this week. But come the end of the week, i'll be almost up to date

EDIT

Forgot to mention that Dexter was 25 quid in CEX. So made 15 quid profit

Hard to justify spending money on gritty thought provoking westerns that doesn't do well ratings wise. It sucks but that's showbiz. I may buy myself a set too, actually, but probably just on DVD.
I've got the DVD boxset but I'd recommend you get your hands on the R1 discs because there's bugger all extras on the R2 ones.

The Blu Ray set is only available in Region A (we're B) at the moment too.

Do you find Blu Ray makes a big difference to your viewing pleasure, though??
Yes and no. I'll never be someone who'll like something just because it looks nice but when you see stuff you enjoy on HD there really is no going back.

If you don't have an HD telly, though, I wouldn't bother. First Blu Ray I got was the Blade Runner boxset after it had rave reviews - I still had an SD TV at the time and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Then I got an HD set...

BDs are damn nearly as cheap as DVDs now if you shop around online so price isn't really an issue any more (unless it's an HBO number ) either and the PS3 is as good a player as you'll get this side of £400. Criterion use it as their reference player so that's a good enough recommendation for me.