Realistic Police Movies?

Tools    

Those are some great suggestions.. I personally found Onion Fields interesting.

Hope you making note of all these Earl.. I love it when people look for further suggestions & expect to learn more..
Unlike few who just want to limit to what they know & learn nothing further.

Semper Fooey
Probably the first of the realisitic cop movies and a big influence on Dragnet.

What about Pride & Glory?
It's a hackneyed, tired piece of crap. But thanks for asking!

Without everyone dying I feel that The Departed is sort of an realistic police movie.
I think you an incorrect. Heavily stylized, hardly realistic in any way...even before the fifth act of Hamlet ending.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Another good one is William Wyler's Detective Story (1951). With the exception of a few brief establishing scenes in front of the precinct, one on the roof, and a quick trip around the block in a paddywagon, the entire film takes place in the detective's squad room (adapted from a stage play, which further explains the single set). Instead of looking at the procedural details usually dramatized in film and TV of working a beat, finding evidence and suspects, or car chases and gunplay, Detective Story wanted to show what happened back at the station, how the Detectives work to get confessions and the truth out of the people brought in, and how it effects them, psychologically....especially if it reveals a secret about your own life! Kirk Douglas and William Bendix play the two main Detectives.

For my money, this is THE best police action film ever made, with The Naked City a close second. Both are set in the 1940s-1950s era before Miranda warnings and other niceties, so you see a rougher cop than today--but not that much rougher. Even then, cops who bend the rules and rough up suspects were in a minority, with most officers and particularly those in charge demanding higher standards of performance. Especially in The Naked City, you see the slow grind of the police work in one particular scene when a detective is working a neighborhood, showing a picture of a suspect in hopes of finding a witness. As the officer shows the photo in the foreground, the suspect himself passes a few feet behind him heading in the opposite direction.

Both films illustrate the dangers of not following established police procedure such as calling for backup before bracing a suspect and locking your firearms away in a squad room where police and crooks are in close proximity.

Detective Story has a great plot and a great cast, but watch particularly the fine work of Joseph Wiseman in a key role as the professional criminal facing life on his next conviction having already been convicted of three other felonies.

Another realistic yet comic film set in a police station is any of the makes of The Front Page, or the best of the bunch, His Girl Friday. In this film, the action takes place in the press room of a police station sat aside for reporters covering the police beat. Although the story and action are over the top, it's not all that far from what happens in the press rooms of just about any big city police station even today. Believe me as one who has spent many, many nights in the cop shop press room where hours of boredom can suddenly be punctuated by moments of heart-pounding excitement.

And don't overlook "Barney Miller" (1975-1982). Yes, it is a sitcom, but I've heard cops and former cops (including eighteen-year Chicago Cop turned-actor Dennis Farina) say it is "Barney Miller" that most realistically captures the camaraderie and drudgery of day-to-day life in a squad, where statistically very few Officers ever have to fire their guns...but they all have to do paperwork, and deal with a constant parade of lunatics.
Another good pick, Pike! Back when this program was first on the air, there was another more realistic cop series, Police Story, with Joseph Wambaugh as the writer, maybe even producer--anyway he was closely connected to this very realistic Police Story series. I used to tell folks back then that if you want to see what police work was really like, watch Police Story for the gritty reality in which the good guys don't always win and the good die young, plus Barney Miller to see how cops really act in those long, long hours they spend in the squad room, with all the ambition, personal problems, job politics, wives, kids, girl friends, other cops, politicians, and so many other issues--including occasionally the press--bugging them.

Some times the things that went on in a real detective squad room were nearly as funny as Barney Miller.

Semper Fooey
A pretty good movie, not strictly about cops, is The Enforcer starring Humphrey Bogart which is a lightly fictionalized account of the New York District Attorney's persuit of Murder Inc. The names are all changed, but many plot elements are true like the stoolie who falls to his death while being watched by the police and the effort to kill all the witnesses to an old murder.

Dana Andrews played tough cops in two great film noirs: one as a tough but fair cop investigating the murder of a lovely young woman in Laura (1944) and then as a tough cop known for his use of excess force in Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950). In the latter he confronts a suspect and during the confrontation slugs the guy--a wounded war hero with a silver plate in his skull--killing him. Afraid no one would believe it was unintentional, he tries to hide the body, but of course it's found and Andrews' character is assigned to hunt down the killer--himself. Going through the motions while trying to hide his connection with the killer, he unintentionally shifts suspicion to his girlfriend's father--she was once married to the dead man.

In another film noir, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956), Andrews played not a cop but a guy engaged to a newspaper publisher's daughter. The publisher has a thing about people being convicted for crimes on circumstantial evidence, and he convinces Andrews to leave some false evidence that seems to connect Andrews to an unsolved killing. The idea is to let the DA build up a case against Andrews on this circumstantial but false evidence, and then when he charges Andrews, the publisher will run a front-page story telling the truth and mocking the DA for basing his case on such circumstantial evidence. Of course, we know from the start that this whole plot eventually will blow up in Andrews' face, but it's an interesting study in police collecting and getting the wrong impression from circumstantial evidence.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Those are some great suggestions.. I personally found Onion Fields interesting.

Hope you making note of all these Earl.. I love it when people look for further suggestions & expect to learn more..
Unlike few who just want to limit to what they know & learn nothing further.
GP, all these suggestions are awesome! I totally forgot about the Onion Field til this thread. I've got to see this one again. Now the hard part is getting time to watch all these!

A pretty good movie, not strictly about cops, is The Enforcer starring Humphrey Bogart which is a lightly fictionalized account of the New York District Attorney's persuit of Murder Inc. The names are all changed, but many plot elements are true like the stoolie who falls to his death while being watched by the police and the effort to kill all the witnesses to an old murder.
Yeah, the stoolie who "falls" to his death was based on killer Abe "Kid Twist" Reles who really was part of the Murder Inc. and actually did fall to his death under mysterious circumstances while under police guard prior to testifying before a grand jury in late 1941. I think the final ruling was that he died "while trying to escape" by trying to climb down 10 ft of sheet from a window to the roof of a building 5 stories below his hotel room.

The same guy was portrayed by Peter Falk in a film starring Britt Mae (? the Norwegian blonde Sammy Davis married?) and leading man Stuart Whitman in which Falk's gangster stabs to death a mob-connected nightclub owner played by comic Morey Amsterdam. That stabbing, although seen from a distance without much gore, was one of the most realistic knife attacks I've ever seen in the movies.

GP, all these suggestions are awesome! I totally forgot about the Onion Field til this thread. I've got to see this one again. Now the hard part is getting time to watch all these!
You should read the book based on the actual murder of a cop (or maybe they both died--been so long since I read it) written by Wambaugh. It was one of the most disturbing of his several books I read, maybe because the others were fiction.

A realistic police movie might be pretty damn boring. I'm trying to find the stats but I've read that most officers never fire their weapon during their entire career.

If someone else can find stats that prove or disprove this, please post them.

I have this feeling that police work is like combat. Long periods of boredom punctuated with short periods of sheer terror.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, The Laughing Policeman and Man on the Roof, two Martin Beck novels turned into movies, are often times boring, but periodically they get the heart pounding, especially the last 40 minutes of Man on the Roof.

I was a (non-military) Center Air Traffic Controller at Oakland Center in the 1980s. It's certainly a cliche, but ATC is about 95% boredom and 5% intellectual stimulation/white-knuckle terror without guns but with potentially ramming planes. Caitlyn can answer the police reality questions.

Semper Fooey
We're talking here about relatively realistic. On television most realistic was Adam 12, which was pretty boring. Also Dragnet, which rarely if ever had gunplay. Come to think of it, there were two Dragnet movies, one based on the first TV series, and I think the second was a TV movie, which was the pilot for the second series.

A realistic police movie might be pretty damn boring. I'm trying to find the stats but I've read that most officers never fire their weapon during their entire career.

If someone else can find stats that prove or disprove this, please post them.

I have this feeling that police work is like combat. Long periods of boredom punctuated with short periods of sheer terror.
What I learned from years of covering crime and emergency beats for newspapers is that firemen are more likely to be killed or injured while on duty than policemen. That's because firemen are more likely to go into unstable locations where a floor may drop out from under them or a roof or wall fall on them. They also are prone to serious back injuries as a result of falls and heavy lifting. On the other hand, police have one of the highest suicide rates of any occupation. There are general stats out there that support this general observation--probably under different organizations and publications for police and firemen, maybe even under the US Labor Department. If one wants to find them, one probably can.

Your supposition that like military combat or general aviation, policing is subject to long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror is essentially correct. The average policeman has to write up many more boring incident reports than the average firemen since that duty in the fire department usually falls to the team supervisor.

And yes, I have known policemen who retired after 20-30-year careers and never even had to unholster a gun in an on-duty confrontation, much less fire it other than at the firing range.

But sometimes the damnest things happen. Like an off-duty homicide detective I knew and liked who walked upon a purse-snatching one day outside the office where he had gone to pick up his wife. The detective grabbed the suspect and while they were wrestling around, the suspect managed to get the officer's automatic pistol from the belt holster under his coat. The office grabbed the barrel of the pistol and the two struggled until the suspect managed to pull the trigger and shoot the detective through his side. The most remarkable thing, however, was that the detective was gripping the barrel of that automatic so tightly that the blowback of gas from the fired shell was prevented from pushing the top of the barrel back to eject the spent shell and put a fresh bullet into the chamber. Unable to fire again or to get the pistol from the detective, the culprit broke and ran. He was captured in a day or two. The detective was hospitalized for a few days but returned to duty. But his wife had seen him shot down before her eyes.

Divorce rates are high among both police and firefighters. But I also knew a uniformed police captain who cracked down on the "model" prostitutes working in his district by putting a marked patrol car with two uniformed cops outside those "modeling" offices and taking photos of guys who drove up and got out of their cars. This same captain with such high moral outrage against prostitutes later went to prison for murdering his own wife so he could run off with some other woman. (The "photos" of Johns were just a fake. Pimp running one of the places called the newsroom and happened to get me and complained about the cops ruining his "honest" business. I went out to check it out, and when I got out of the car, these two young cops pulled up behind me and flashed this small cheap camera in my direction. I walked over to them and leaned in the car and asked them what the hell they were doing. Told me the captain told them to come out and take pictures of guys getting out of the cars. Asked if most of the guys left after they snapped them and they said, "Sure." While we're talking I look down at the floorboard on the passenger side where the cop with the camera was sitting as he ejected the flashbulb he'd used on me and put another in the camera. There on the floorboard were dozens of used flashbulbs--but not a single discarded box or wrapper like film comes in. I asked if they even had film in the camera, but all I got were sheepish grins. Don't know if I even wrote a story about that event or not at the time, but I resurrected it as a nice little sidebar about the captain after he was arrested for murder.)

Anyway, getting back to police and their pistols, one of the damnest things I ever covered was the story of this one cop in foot pursuit of some culprit; he could see the runner had a gun in his hand, and so the cop had fired at him several times--even had to reload as I recall--without slowing this jackrabbit at all. So they're chasing along there and the runner is approaching a tall chain-link fence midway across this alley. He hits the fence on the jump and manages to scramble up and over with the policeman in pursuit and just as he's going over the top of the fence, he snaps off his first shot of the evening at the policeman. Now it was during the holiday season and one of the presents the officer got from his wife at Christmas was a lightweight bulletproof vest--the kind that you put over your head like a sandwich board hanging down in front and back and then it ties or clips at a couple of places on each side to enclose the upper body--except, that is, a thin opening on each side from armpit to waist in the area where the vest is fastened.

Well, here's this runner flipping over a tall fence, firing one shot on the fly, and hitting the pavement below and continuing running as fast as he can. And his one hail-Mary shot under impossible circumstances hits this poor cop who has fired several times at the culprit without even nicking him. What's more, instead of hitting the policeman straight on in the front of his body as one would expect with him running directly at the culprit, somehow the officer must have twisted some way because the bullet catches him smack against the side through this thin little opening between the front and back of the vest. Fortunately the kid lived, but I don't recall if they ever caught the shooter.

A deputy sheriff at a crime scene I once ran was not so lucky. He was a big ol' corn-fed boy carrying a few extra pounds and he was shot with a small caliber bullet like maybe a .22 that caught him from the side right in the fleshy part of his upper chest, traveling though that meaty area between his ribs and his nipple, Because of his body fat and the slower speed of the small caliber bullet, the shell traced a kind of wobbling path through his flesh, turning in at one point to bounce off his breast bone, which then caused the bullet to ricochet out toward the front of the chest in such a way that it could have exited his body, leaving just a painful flesh wound. As I recall, the bullet actually exited his chest, but then the damn thing hit the back of the badge pinned on that side and the impact turned it back into his body, hitting him in the heart and killing him.

That's the problem with being a policeman--you never know what may take you out. Like the one uniform officer driving down the freeway late at night with a young woman sitting in the frontseat of his patrol car when it slams into the back of an disabled 18-wheeler sitting by the side of the road with all of the warning signals and flares out. Killed them both. The officer was married, and the department said the young woman was sick and he was giving her a ride home, and they buried him with all honors. Story around the station however was that the woman was his girlfriend, a stripper in one of the more notorious Houston clubs, and she was performing oral sex on him when he plowed into the rear of that parked truck.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I've seen cops at the firing range (they were there for their qualifications), joking around, waving muzzles in every direction, and pointing their weapons at each other and doing quick draws. That's how you know bullseye practice is over.

I've seen cops at the firing range (they were there for their qualifications), joking around, waving muzzles in every direction, and pointing their weapons at each other and doing quick draws. That's how you know bullseye practice is over.
Yeah, it seems sometimes that the biggest advantage some cops have over the bad guys is that the bad guys are even dumber. Anyone who doesn't take firearms seriously is just asking for trouble. When I went through basic training in the Army, we had just enough mishaps on the firing range and in manuvers to make me deathly afraid of anyone else in my unit with a loaded weapon.