The Queen’s Gambit

Tools    

the ending is really not clear, she got out of the car, played with the seniors and then what?

That's what I mean, she is going to miss her flight back to the U.S. What is going through her head at the end of the movie ?

Do you think there would be a season 2?

Do you think there would be a season 2?

Yes I do. They did season 1 with plans to do another season as well, at least I think that they planned it that way.

Yes I do. They did season 1 with plans to do another season as well, at least I think that they planned it that way.
Limited series. No further season is scheduled.

Netflix only planned for it to be a one season series, however the show was such a huge success for Netflix ,that it will be hard for them to ignore.So it is up to Netflix whether or not to make a second series.

A friend of mine had been raving about this Netflix mini-series for months and then Anya Taylor-Joy won a Golden Globe for her work, so I finally just finished watching episode 1 of this enigmatic mini-series about a young woman named Beth Harmon who becomes a champion chess player during the 1960;s. The first episode covers Beth's parentless upbringing in a strict orphanage. This episode was a sterling exercise in the art of exposition and seems to be trying to establish several things about this girl Beth. The episode establishes in stylish fashion that Beth is a drug addict, that she hates to lose, and has some serious issues with the concepts of authority and religion. How important these thing continue to be in the story remains to be seen, but it made for a fascinating first hour that makes me want to continue watching. Scott Frank's direction is crisp, the writing is smart, and there's some really wonderfully camerawork...love the upside down chessboard in Beth's mind that is always a game in session. The initial scenes of her learning the game with the creepy custodian literally had the hair on the back of my neck standing up and the look on her face when the custodian won one of her pieces for the first time and took it off the board was genuinely terrifying. Looking forward to see where this goes.

You ready? You look ready.
It starts out good and then meanders into a snoozefest. At least that's what I thought. It is still better than most series at the moment, though. So it's got that going for it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Adventure Starts Here!
I enjoyed most of it, although some of the hallucinatory aspects later in the show were a bit "off" for me. Still, so well done and extremely captivating... which is surprising for a show about chess players.

And like Stirchley, I thought there had to already be a thread here about this show. It was a huge hit when it first showed up last year.

The trick is not minding
I watched a few episodes, because Chess interests me greatly. I don’t have the mind or patience for it, but I love watching this commentator on YouTube that breaks down famous matches and such.

One thing that bothered me in the series was how often these matches ended in “check mate” when quite often, one person ends up resigning or playing to a draw.

Taylor-Joy is great in it. She gives Harmon a certain aloofness. If you haven’t seen her in Emma, yet, I highly recommend.

And like Stirchley, I thought there had to already be a thread here about this show. It was a huge hit when it first showed up last year.
Duh! Guess whose thread it was?

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...een%92s+Gambit

And someone else also started a thread.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...een%92s+Gambit

Would love to pose a question for those who have watched the entire series already. I was curious as to whether you think this series is going to be less interesting to people like myself who don't play chess or is it worth watching whether you play chess or not?

⬆️ Chess is completely beyond my comprehension. Having said this, I loved the series. What made it for me was Anya Taylor-Joy. Charismatic young woman.

Just finished ep 2...I was surprised that what happened at the end of ep 1 with the pills wasn't addressed at all, but also found it a little coincidental that Beth's adopted mother, Mrs. Wheatley was addicted to the same pills...and how about that Mrs. Wheatley? What a hot mess her character was, could have had her own mini-series...Marielle Heller was superb in this role. Another thing I'm really enjoying about this show is the incredible attention to period details...the costumes, the vehicles, the settings, color schemes, loved that store where Beth bought the cigarettes and the color schemes in the Wheatley home. One fear I had about diving into this mini-series has been put to rest...one doesn't have to play chess to enjoy what's going on here. Understanding of what's going on is effectively provided through camerawork and the facial expressions of the players as well as the spectators, which can only be credited to expert direction. Beth Harmon is a fascinating character though and can't wait to see what happen next.

Just wrapped ep 3...my first thought when Beth agreed to make Alma her agent was that it had disaster written all over it, but I think I understand why she did it, even though Alma doesn't know anything about chess and doesn't care to. She just seems to see Beth as a mal ticket. Loved that scene in the hotel room with Townes. I think this was the first scene since the show began where I saw Beth smile. The chemistry between Beth and Townes was off the charts, even though it was impljed that he was homosexual. Her analysis of her loss to Benny was surprisingly obsessive and I was genuinely frightened at what her reaction would be to her first loss. The show seems to be driving home the point that in the 1960's chess was a man's game, so why was it that every time she arrived at a tournament, everyone had to introduce themselves to her. I'm also waiting for a connection between Beth's passion for chess and her passion for those green pills.

Just watched ep 4 and I knew that the relationship between Beth and her mother had to come to a head but it certainly didn't happen in the way I expected. Am glad that Beth has stayed connected to the twins and that Townes is still on her mind. Loved the match with the young boy fascinated with American drive in movies, he seemed to be a male version of Beth. Am loving Beth's complete disdain of convention...loved when she went swimming in the hotel pool while it was raining. Scott Frank's crisp direction continues to be the standout element here, making up for some mysteries in the writing, most notably the connection between Beth's passion for chess and her passion for drugs and alcohol, which still seem to be like two different stories.