Steven Spielberg remaking West Side Story

Tools    

https://deadline.com/2018/10/west-si...on-1202474463/

"When you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet all the way — and now we know who’ll play Tony in Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story. Baby Driver star Ansel Elgort has danced into the role originated by Larry Kert on Broadway and played by Richard Beymer in the Oscar-winning 1961 movie.

Inspired by William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story explores forbidden love and the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds. Filming is set to begin in summer 2019.

Tony Kushner wrote the adaptation of the 1957 musical originally written by Arthur Laurents and Stephen Sondheim with music by Leonard Bernstein, and concept, direction, and choreography by Jerome Robbins. Spielberg, Kevin McCollum and Kristie Macosko Krieger will produce the film musical.

The casting of Tony is another big move forward for the Spielberg project, coming fast on news that the director has recruited to the team one of Broadway’s hottest choreographers – Justin Peck, whose gorgeous dance work for this year’s Broadway revival of Carousel won a Tony Award."

Again is there the history about the love?

This is going to win the Best Picture Oscar the year it's released. Mark my words.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
east SIGH-EEEED!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Again is there the history about the love?
again and again, forever, at all times!

The trick is not minding
So, for those who aren’t aware, Spielberg is remaking West Side Story and it has an official release date of 12/18/2020.
I’m a fan of the original, but I’m curious how others feel about this.
Can he handle a musical? He hasn’t done one previously, so this intrigues me.
How do fans of the original feel about this?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
So, for those who aren’t aware, Spielberg is remaking West Side Story and it has an official release date of 12/18/2020.

I'm a big fan of both Spielberg and West Side Story, and I love musicals, but I don't think that this movie should be remade. The original movie is one of the best musicals ever made, and it's going to be hard to avoid comparisons, so unless there's a way to improve on the original or somehow make it different enough to avoid the comparisons, it's usually best to just leave the original alone.

Having said that, I have complete confidence in Spielberg, and I'm curious to see his version of West Side Story.

The trick is not minding

I'm a big fan of both Spielberg and West Side Story, and I love musicals, but I don't think that this movie should be remade. The original movie is one of the best musicals ever made, and it's going to be hard to avoid comparisons, so unless there's a way to improve on the original or somehow make it different enough to avoid the comparisons, it's usually best to just leave the original alone.

Having said that, I have complete confidence in Spielberg, and I'm curious to see his version of West Side Story.

It’s funny, when I was making this thread, I had you in mind. Knowing you’re a huge musical fan and all.
I’m a huge Spielberg fan as well, so I’m curious how this will be handled, but I agree overall. This film shouldn’t have been remade. That said, I’ll watch it anyways.
I think the original is due for a rewatch sometime soon now.

It’s funny, when I was making this thread, I had you in mind. Knowing you’re a huge musical fan and all.
I’m a huge Spielberg fan as well, so I’m curious how this will be handled, but I agree overall. This film shouldn’t have been remade. That said, I’ll watch it anyways.

I'll definitely watch it, but depending on the reviews, I might wait for the DVD. I rarely go to the movie theater anymore anyway.

I haven't read much about it, but I saw the West Side Story Broadway show long before I ever saw the movie, so I'm curious if they're going to write all new songs for the movie, or if any or all of the original songs will be used. (I thought the movie The Greatest Showman was supposed to be a movie version of the Broadway show Barnum, but it turned out to be a story about P.T. Barnum, but with all new songs.)

The trick is not minding

I just rewatched the original about a week ago. It's one of those movies that just gets better every time I watch it.
It’s been a few years since I’ve last seen it, and that was only the second time I had. Always enjoyed the music to it. I was reading up about Spielbergs version and came across this:
“The film's screenplay is expected to hew more closely to the Broadway script than to the 1961 film adaptation directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins.“
I haven’t seen the original Broadway version, so can you enlighten me what differences there were between the play and the film they’re alluding to?

It’s been a few years since I’ve last seen it, and that was only the second time I had. Always enjoyed the music to it. I was reading up about Spielbergs version and came across this:
“The film's screenplay is expected to hew more closely to the Broadway script than to the 1961 film adaptation directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins.“
I haven’t seen the original Broadway version, so can you enlighten me what differences there were between the play and the film they’re alluding to?

It's been a LOOOONG time since I saw the Broadway show, so I don't remember the differences. (I think I saw it around 1980ish.) I mostly remember falling in love with the music to the show.

@Gideon58 knows more about Broadway musicals than I do, and might know the differences.

The trick is not minding

It's been a LOOOONG time since I saw the Broadway show, so I don't remember the differences. (I think I saw it around 1980ish.) I mostly remember falling in love with the music to the show.

@Gideon58 knows more about Broadway musicals than I do, and might know the differences.
Ah yes, that is quite a long time. Maybe he’ll enlighten us some

Ah yes, that is quite a long time. Maybe he’ll enlighten us some

I hope so.

I went to a few Broadway shows when I was younger. I always wished that they would release them on VHS (back then) or DVD (now). A few of them have been shown on PBS over the years, but I don't think West Side Story was one of them.

A bucket of anxiety
I was watching the original Red Dawn the other day and it was an amazing film. By the end I asked myself: Who in their right mind would try to compete with this? Try to replicate it? I am just really weary of the words "remake" and "reboot." So much so I can't even go, "Oh, it might actually be good," because there's just no point in it. Even if it's fantastic, what exactly has been accomplished? "Congratulations! You've done the exact same thing that someone else did decades ago!" It's not like an old machine that had flaws in its design so it was rebuilt to work better. It's literally re-inventing the wheel. I don't understand why we can't have all this effort and money and coordination put into something to give us new stories and new songs. We used to do that and now it's like one or two original concepts in a cesspool of "re-imaginings." So my thoughts? The original is rent-able on YouTube and that's all I want and/or need.

If West Side Story must be re-made, then Spielberg is a good choice for producer/director. He'll have all heavyweights working on the project, and he'll keep it from being an R-rated circus.

Bernstein's music and Sondheim's lyrics speak for themselves, and will certainly be protected and performed as in the original B'way production. I expect the new version to be better than the 1961 film, although it would be difficult to outdo its reception at the time.

I have limited interest in a remake of West Side Story. There's no need for it as the original is perfect. I kind of think when a director starts doing remakes, his career is on the downside. Unless it's some obscure movie. Not sure why Spielberg would want to do West Side Story anyway, maybe he heard how much money La La Land made.