Co-director of Sausage Party to remake The Toxic Avenger

Tools    

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/co...ty-1201858192/

"Following the success of "Sausage Party", co-director Conrad Vernon is tackling a cult classic, signing up to helm a remake of “The Toxic Avenger.”

Richard Saperstein’s Storyscape Entertainment, Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road and Charlie Corwin will produce. Mike Arnold and Chris Poole (“Archer”; “The Grackle”) are on board to rewrite the screenplay by Steve Pink and D.C. Mitchell.

Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz of Troma Films, creators of the original franchise, will executive produce along with Bob Cooper and Alex Schwartz of Storyscape Entertainment, and Greg Lessans of Weed Road.

The movie, a re-imagining of Troma’s classic, tells the story of a New Jersey teenager whose accidental tumble into a vat of toxic waste turns him into a mutant superhero"

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
It seems like the timing is perfect for this. Beloved cult classic, comic movie fatigue setting in creating a need for a change of pace, proven track record for R-rated comic movie.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was originally going to be in this. There's a picture I've seen of him holding an iPad with The Toxic Avenger's picture on it. His way of saying that was his next project. He dropped out.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was originally going to be in this. There's a picture I've seen of him holding an iPad with The Toxic Avenger's picture on it. His way of saying that was his next project. He dropped out.
Good. He's pretty much a gimmick (it's not amusing anymore) these days and rarely adds anything of value to the films he's in, so I'm glad he won't be involved here. Not saying this movie's going to be great or anything, that remains to be seen, but I've just reached my limit of tolerance for Arnold.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
As a fan of Troma's films, this does give me a bit of curiosity. Years ago, they had a planned a live action Toxic Crusaders movie then this whole Toxie remake news. Lloyd Kaufman had planned a fifth installment of his original film series, but the closest to that was a teaser trailer of sorts.

With someone like Conrad Vernon, who admits he is a fan of the original, I hope he will do the remake justice and not make it some cruddy PG-13 family friendly version. With the guys behind Archer writing it, I can see this to be a possible amped up version.

At least Kaufman did something interesting and remade his own Class of Nuke 'Em High as a modern day reboot (loved the first half)...with the finale finally coming next year.

Legendary Entertainment (Godzilla: King of the Monsters) has scored the remake rights and will be making The Toxic Avenger with original creators Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz of Troma Entertainment serving as producers.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...toxic-avenger/

Shooting is beginning this month in Bulgaria. Lloyd Kaufman said that Macon Blair's script is even better than the original Toxic Avenger. Blair is also directing and the core cast is set: Get this! Peter Dinklage is the new Toxic Avenger. Jacob Tremblay is playing his son. Taylour Paige is playing Toxie's new love interest and Kevin Bacon has been set to play the main villain.

Elijah Wood and Julia Davis will also be in The Toxic Avenger. Originally, Wood was rumored to have played the villain but the role is played by Kevin Bacon.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/julia-d...ot-1234776067/

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom actor Jonny Coyne and I May Destroy You actor Sarah Niles will be playing "a shadow crime figure" and a "corrupt city official" respectively in the new film.

The film is making its world premiere at Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas on September 21, opening night. Legendary even unveil the 1st photo from the reboot.

Lloyd Kaufman even said the script for the new film was better than his original film!
"[Writer and director] Macon Blair knows Troma better than I do. He's seen everything. He's seen the cartoon, he's seen the Halloween special, he's seen everything. And he loves our movies like Troma's War and Terror Firmer. I've read the script and it's better than the original and I leave it to him. If I'm called upon, I'd be happy to jump in. I learned on the musical to leave the creative to the creative. I learned to let them ask so if they want me, I'm there."

Hard to top the original, but curious to see how this one goes.

Hey, Macon Blair is in it and also co-wrote and is directing it so that's a positive IMO. I really liked I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore and Blue Ruin is still in my Top Ten. Peter Dinklage as TTA? I don't know. It certainly sounds intriguing.

It premiered last night at Fantastic Fest and it has mixed reviews. The ones I read have praised Peter Dinklage's performance as Toxie and both Kevin Bacon and Elijah Wood are having fun with their roles as villain brothers Bob and Fritz Garbinger, with Wood looking like a cross between Danny DeVito's Penguin and Gollum.

Dextero Review
Variety Review