Knives Out

Tools    

I think Craig got snubbed for his performance here.

This is currently my fave Rian Johnson film, though I need to see more of his directorial work.

A system of cells interlinked
Caught this the other night. Really good! Pretty clever screenplay that, on first watch anyway, seemed pretty air tight in its structure. Subsequent viewings may reveal some holes here and there, but Johnson did a good job of covering all the bases. Some of the subtext was slightly annoying, but then again, I always enjoy seeing smarmy New England blue bloods get their collective ass handed to them, and sure, their troll-ish right-wing kin, as well.

Highly recommend this one!

I thought the movie was alright. Enjoyable but alright. Sort of a glorified episode of a smart, quirky detective series.

Props to the actors - apart from Ana De Armas who got the meatest character to play - though for taking such roles and sharing the limelight.

This is currently my fave Rian Johnson film, though I need to see more of his directorial work.
You should check out Looper and Brick.

Knives Out (2019)

During a rather lackluster Holiday season of film releases we were treated to a good old fashioned whodunit murder mystery ala Agatha Christie. Written and directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, Breaking Bad), the setting is in a 19th Century Massachusetts mansion, where it’s patriarch and popular novelist owner is murdered on his 85th birthday, following a birthday party attended by his entire family and staff.

The ensemble cast includes Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Michael Shannon, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, Ana de Armas, and Christopher Plummer, who all turn in memorable performances. Of special note is Daniel Craig (007) as a famous Poirot-like detective who plays against type with a creditable southern plantation accent; and Chris Evans (Captain America) as a caddish playboy.

Films of this type can veer into either farce or incoherent complexity, but in this case the picture stays on track and holds one’s interest for its entire 130 minute run time. The story is both inventive and light hearted while avoiding triteness. It’s abundanat twists and turns are believable: a Charlie Chan/Sherlock Holmes mystery wrapped up in a very pleasing PG-13 production.

It’s surprising that this solid little film had only one Oscar nomination: Best Original Screenplay, which it certainly deserved. Looking back, Knives Out was surely as good as most of the pictures who were nominated. It received high praise from both critics and audiences, often being placed in the year’s 10 best. If you like whodunits, this is a good one to see.

Doc’s rating: 8/10

The trick is not minding
I thought the movie was alright. Enjoyable but alright. Sort of a glorified episode of a smart, quirky detective series.

Props to the actors - apart from Ana De Armas who got the meatest character to play - though for taking such roles and sharing the limelight.

You should check out Looper and Brick.
I second these

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just saw the movie and thought it was good. But i felt the climax could have been a little better.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
Did anyone else think that the culprit turned into a Perry Mason villain in the climax, and just confessed, just because a couple of characters claim they had evidence on him, and that was it?

I also feel that the red herrings are just forgotten about and seem like kind of a waste of time, cause there is no additional tie ins with the red herrings, unless maybe I'm wrong?

I also thought maybe there were too many characters and not enough time to develop them as more effective red herrings.

But other than that, good movie.