DVD copying right or wrong?

Tools    

My computer came with a DVD burner but i dont know how to use it so no.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I make dvd's. Usually I do it to make music video or tv episode compilations. I'll download an .avi and convert it to a MPEG2 DVD file and then when I have all these files together I author menus and such and burn to a disc.

I'm not going to tell you how I burn them though, that'd be illegal.

i back up entire DVD's and burn them whenever i rent one

Originally Posted by Zzat
well anyone here burns dvds?

Yepper! Its lots and lots of fun, too!

same here Mack, does it count if i own the dvd and backed it up and then sold the original. shhhhh

I wouldnt worry too much about it TazZ. Does it bother you, or did you just want to check?

nope i just wanted peoples opinion on this matter. I have over 100 copies of burned movies. shhhh

Originally Posted by Terminator734
I back up entire DVD's and burn them whenever I rent one

.... I own the dvd and backed it up and then sold the original. shhhhh.

Ditto to both ....shhhhhhh .

Originally Posted by MinionTV
I make dvd's. Usually I do it to make music video or tv episode compilations. I'll download an .avi and convert it to a MPEG2 DVD file and then when I have all these files together I author menus and such and burn to a disc.

Me??? I do the same. Except for .avi I use Quicktime and/or WMV. I combine episodes, skits, short films or whatever.

I have started to do a nice collection of trailer discs.

Enemies are so stimulating.
i think its wrong...doesnt mean i wont do it if im low on cash and need to get a new film but it is wrong because it means the industry is loosing money and its the industry that i would like to one day work in.
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

I have a point: the industry IS NOT losing money of that significance. In fact, I read somewhere that they even have a "timed death" on downloaded songs. Excuse me? NOTHING I paid for better die on me.

Such a consumer driven, money hungry age we live in, and let me tell you, the "industry" isnt looking out for you---they are looking out for their own wallet. Whatever happened to making the customer happy?

Just a thought!

I own the dvd and backed it up and then sold the original.

Seriously .....I need money desperately and it has gotten to the point to where I need to sell our things that I really adore.

Although immaterial....thank God I have a burner to still be able to own
what I will always love.

Enemies are so stimulating.
yeah i copied some of my dvds so i could get more money. its hard to let them go but they were ones i dont really watch anymore so i dont mind having them on vcd.

Originally Posted by jrs
Seriously .....I need money desperately and it has gotten to the point to where I need to sell our things that I really adore.

Although immaterial....thank God I have a burner to still be able to own
what I will always love.
where are you going to sell the things you own? i'll buy your TV jk
go into piracy JasoN! you work in the theaters so just get a camera and BOOM cash in your pocket! im just kidding

I'll be honest, I sometimes rent DVDs then copy them. But only because I'm a kid who doesn't have a job. When I do get a job, which will be soon, I'm going to buy DVDs all the time. It's great owning all these great films on copied discs, but I just love my real DVD collection. I have about 100+ bought DVDs, and I expect that number to grow to thousands in my life time. So I don't really feel guilty when I burn DVDs, because I know I'll buy the real thing when I'm older.

Oh, and when I say sometimes I mean frequently.

I keep my collection and I still buy DVDs also of course. It's just the DVDs that I might rent (that I don't buy yet want ), and the ones I have I don't want ....those are the ones that are burnt.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Well burining DVDs obviously isnt right but people do it anyways. And it dosent hurt sales too bad.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King