DVD copying right or wrong?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Cipher Jo
Here's a controversial subject that might spark some interest. Nowadays you can easily own any DVD you want for just $2 including menus, high quality movie, trailers, bonus material the works!

But what do you think, is this right or wrong. DO you think it's okay just to use as a backup for ones you already own or do you think that it's fine to rent one and copy it. I'm curious what people's stances are on this forum.
I'am also curious on what people have to say?

Aaaaarrrr. Avast, ye, Matey!

It's illegal. But is it "wrong"? What if there's a man who is starving to find entertainment for his family, let's say premium well-known A-list films newly released to the home video market, but he can't afford them. OK, he can afford them, but even on sale $17.99 at Best Buy is still a little steep, Mr. Eisner. After all, these are staples of a young person in America and to deny them such marketing is a kind of child abuse, really. So he decides not to shoplift, which is a baser street level of theft that requires large coats and demagnetizing security strips, but instead to burn pirated copies and then distribute them to other unfortunates like himself, who only want for their children to see Finding Nemo on the best format available. And besides, at his low, low prices, he's practically giving them away. Why it's more like charity than a criminal enterprise for profit. In a way, you could say he's simply doing god's work. And bless him for his service, I says.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I personally support any person who wants to make a copy of any DVD they have, for any reason. If they want to make a back-up of it, go ahead. If they want to have it on their computer for just ease of viewing, go ahead. If they want to let a friend see it, go ahead. They paid for it, as long as they don't reproduce it for any kind of a profit, or display for it any kind of a profit, I feel they should be able to do whatever the hell they want to do with it.

As for DVD-ripping, which is much different than DVD-copying. It is wrong, but you know what...it happens. I find that it is inevitable, but regardless it is theft. I won't sugarcoat it to make it sound like downloading a movie you don't own, or will never own, isn't a bad thing. It deffinetely is. But it isn't grand larsony. A person who download's a DVDrip of the Matrix is not slitting the filmmaker's throat and I hate the MPAA for making it out as such. But they deffinetely are pricking their pinky, taking their blood. It may not kill them, it may not be noticeable at all, but it is letting nonetheless. I both proudly and shamefully admit that I am a parasite.

As for downloading movies prior to their release, screeners and workprints. That is just wrong. Essentially it isn't any different than downloading a DVDrip, and trying to defend downloading a DVD while condeming downloading a screener or workprint is like saying smoking weed isn't doing a drug, but heroin is. They're both drugs. They're both wrong.

But when you take a movie before it is finalized, before it is finished, before the public sees it...you're taking the filmmaker's thoughts and ideas. When that happens, you're not just taking their product, you're taking their prenatal vision. You're no longer just stealing something they've produced, you're invading their privacy as well.

You can kidnap a kid and it is wrong. But when you kidnap a child that hasn't even been born yet...that is just ****ed up.

Originally Posted by OG-
I won't sugarcoat it to make it sound like downloading a movie you don't own, or will never own, isn't a bad thing. It deffinetely is. But it isn't grant larsony.
Unless you're downloading Love Actually or About A Boy, which is, I think, indeed Grant larceny.

i never did it but i would if i knew how. i dont think its wrong. i think everything from DVDs to CDs to games are very overpriced so i think of copying DVDs as "getting your money back" that they took. i do download movies off kazaa from time to time.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Kazaa is still free to use, but you can pay for it if you want...but either way if you're using it, you aren't getting much out of it.

The internet contains vastly superior ways of gobbling what isn't yours.

Its illegal.

Ok, now that the legalities are out of the way, ask me if I have. But no need to: I plead the 5th. I have never downloaded a movie because (a) I just got DSL today(yay!), and (b) I have nightmares about being openly villified and made an example of in front of my peers. The shame alone is enough to stop me.

It is perfectly legal for you to make copies of your own purchased CDs or DVDs. Since the copy/creation tools exist legally, it becomes a personal issue, as you can utilize those same tools for illegal creation/copying.

Ill put to you this way: I dont lose sleep at night over it.

copying is perfectly fine, if you have the original already. just wanna give a copy to a friend or whatever, no problem. just bootlegging and pirating is wrong. can't say i stand by what i say though. i buy bootlegs by the boxes every time i go out of the country or new york.