The end of DVDs?

Tools    

Movie Forums Insomniac
The end of DVDs

You poor, deluded, naysayers.

The thing that none of you are comprehending is that this style is better for the studios, and that's the only real deciding factor. First, it's cheaper for them to pay for server space and IT guys than to run entire factories and produce/ship their product. Second, it's harder (impossible, maybe?) to make pirated copies of files that exist remotely and are streamed to the consumer because pirates don't have an actual file.

But, you all just keep on dancing in the flowers with your fingers in your ears.

By the way, Nausicaa, Apple put MP3 players in the hands of the masses, turned smart phones into a consumer product as opposed to something exclusively for businessmen, and are leading the way for tablets (which will all but completely replace your PCs/laptops within 20 years). You can cuss at them all you like, but they are one of, if not the, leading factor on consumer technology. You can shrug off a company that has literally changed the world, but it doesn't take away from their impressive accomplishments.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You think tablets will replace all PCs and Laptops? No way brotha.

I can understand the dvd going away, but not a PC or laptop.

Suspect's Reviews

Who knew, when VHS was the rage, that DVD would even exist?
That's the thing about technology, even if you are an inventor and a connoissseur, thre is no way to predict what someone will come up with.
Before the world wide web came into being in 1991, there was no internet such as we know it today. Computers were big heavy things in some work places, used among professionals. There was IBM and then there was IBM.
Now we have microsoft, apple, macintosh ets. The trend since then has been to make things smaller, more compact, multy efficient and easily accessable to everybody.
Will Blue Ray become a 3-D Ray? Who's to say? Would it be better?
Is smaller better than bigger when it comes to multi-media? Hell no.
I, for one will always prefer watching a movie on a big screen, as big as I can get for my personal viewing.
Now, they got these super phones that you can download and watch movies on. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep them.
Sure, having the internet on your phone is so practical, but what a pain in the a.. it is, and then whenever you have gadgets that have multi functions, if one function goes wrong, everything goes wrong [ like fully computerized cars ( try fixing one yourself if you are not a computer whiz) ].
I really don't know how long a DVD can last. I hope forever, otherwise, I surely wasted half of my life converting them from VHS and collecting them.

You think tablets will replace all PCs and Laptops? No way brotha.

I can understand the dvd going away, but not a PC or laptop.
We'll see. All I can tell you is that many futurists are predicting that cell phones will replace the computer. Personally, I don't think everyone likes the idea of looking at that tiny screen. I can almost assure you, though, that the tablet will replace PCs eventually. Especially once they start installing HDMI outputs on them. It's funny, even in the face of me being right about how technology advances, people still doubt me. This is the one place where I have confidence in what I'm talking about and no one, even my wife, listens to me...

I really don't know how long a DVD can last. I hope forever, otherwise, I surely wasted half of my life converting them from VHS and collecting them.
Ok, this is the exact type of attitude that makes advancement difficult when it doesn't have to be. You didn't waste anything. You still own your DVDs! You will still own them when stores stop selling them! You can convert them to digital files! It's not a waste of time because your collection isn't going away. They're just not going to sell them in the stores one day. This isn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

Look at it this way, one day instead of having your DVD collection, something you're clearly proud of, trapped in your house, you will be able to take it with you everywhere you go. You'll be able to take out your smart phone/tablet/laptop and show people your entire film collection. You'll be able to plug that device directly into your TV and watch any of them...without having to get up off your lazy bum and changing discs!

The format we are slowly heading toward is so much more convenient and so easy to use and yet so many people (especially on this forum!) are against it. It's also reaching the point that 1080p can be streamed so quality of the video won't go down! Why are so many people against this? Because you can't hold a bulky plastic case in your hand?

We'll see. All I can tell you is that many futurists are predicting that cell phones will replace the computer. Personally, I don't think everyone likes the idea of looking at that tiny screen. I can almost assure you, though, that the tablet will replace PCs eventually. Especially once they start installing HDMI outputs on them. It's funny, even in the face of me being right about how technology advances, people still doubt me. This is the one place where I have confidence in what I'm talking about and no one, even my wife, listens to me...

Ok, this is the exact type of attitude that makes advancement difficult when it doesn't have to be. You didn't waste anything. You still own your DVDs! You will still own them when stores stop selling them! You can convert them to digital files! It's not a waste of time because your collection isn't going away. They're just not going to sell them in the stores one day. This isn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

Look at it this way, one day instead of having your DVD collection, something you're clearly proud of, trapped in your house, you will be able to take it with you everywhere you go. You'll be able to take out your smart phone/tablet/laptop and show people your entire film collection. You'll be able to plug that device directly into your TV and watch any of them...without having to get up off your lazy bum and changing discs!

The format we are slowly heading toward is so much more convenient and so easy to use and yet so many people (especially on this forum!) are against it. It's also reaching the point that 1080p can be streamed so quality of the video won't go down! Why are so many people against this? Because you can't hold a bulky plastic case in your hand?
Hell, and here I was all gung ho, before I die, to donate my entire Dvd collection to some third world country if they name a city after me

Movie Forums Insomniac
I don't have that big of a DVD collection. So guess when the time comes to transfer them digitally, I won't have much to transfer.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I see the tablet as a side device. It's great for portability, having fun, but not work. 20 years? We'll see, I still see the computer being around, especially for if your work revolves around working at a computer.

By the way, Nausicaa, Apple put MP3 players in the hands of the masses, turned smart phones into a consumer product as opposed to something exclusively for businessmen, and are leading the way for tablets (which will all but completely replace your PCs/laptops within 20 years). You can cuss at them all you like, but they are one of, if not the, leading factor on consumer technology. You can shrug off a company that has literally changed the world, but it doesn't take away from their impressive accomplishments.
I know, I still don't like Apple products. I'm happy with different brands.