The end of DVDs?

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Can you prove this? I pointed out as many facts as I could without going into actual statistics. I know that Hulu and Netflix users number in the tens of millions.
More people have TV's than Computers. More people embrace physical media than the cloud, because not everyone understands or has access to it.

Suspect's Reviews

More people have TV's than Computers. More people embrace physical media than the cloud, because not everyone understands or has access to it.
So this won't change in the next ten to fifteen years? It's been ten years since braodband really took off. Netflix has been around for 7-8 years.

Plus, everyone with a cell phone has access to the cloud. Most everyone in the US has access to it, nevermind the majority of the rest of the world.

So this won't change in the next ten to fifteen years? It's been ten years since braodband really took off. Netflix has been around for 7-8 years.

Plus, everyone with a cell phone has access to the cloud. Most everyone in the US has access to it, nevermind the majority of the rest of the world.
I have a phone without internet access, as do a good number of people I know. Not everyone with a cell phone has access to the cloud.

Be ready for...

...of the hard copy.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yes, you do movieman, you do have access to the cloud, unless your phone doesn't work. Do you have a signal right now? Then you are hooked up to the grid, bub. You may not have a phone that can take advantage of it, but unless you live in a log cabin in the middle of the desert you have access to the cloud.

I had to bring this thread back because Green Lantern is coming out soon with a disc that gives you access to a streaming copy of the film where ever you are. Welcome to the future, people. Don't say I didn't warn you.

EDIT: Someone who agrees with me says they will be gone by 2020. Interesting little article.

Now that is one thing I won't like to see anytime. I have a huge shelf with a bunch of movies and I love it, really I have like 300 movies or more. I just love my movie library, and if movies go digital I can't buy dvd's anymore. Now that is simple, you could easily tell me to get myself a laser printer and a dvd printer, but the thing is that I can't work on photoshop to make my own custom covers and there are some covers that I probably won't find, so I don't want that dvd's end. And you, what is your opinion?
My opinion is the same as yours.

I have the same problem with Love Film in the UK.

There's a lot of older, lesser known cult stuff that's actually had a UK dvd release, but Love Film don't have it for rental. You just get a currently unavailable, or not available for rental message next to the title.

I wish Love Film would sort it out. I don't pay Ł12 a month for them not to have a comprehensive rental catalogue.

I don't think Netflix or Netflix-like systems are where the future of home entertainment actually lies. Those things will be around, but, once the distributers actually wise up (and they are), they will self-distribute their catalog. I predict that you will have free access to a streaming catalog from each distributer and you will pay for access to individual films. Just like buying a DVD, you will pay 'X' dollars to have permanent access to a streaming copy of whatever specific title that you want. You will then be able to stream it to your roku box/iPhone/gaming system/built-in TV software/etc.

Don't believe me? The Green Lantern Blu-Ray comes with a digital copy of the film that does just that. Netflix proved that it can be done, now it's up to the distributers to actually release their own content. It won't change how your film viewing works at home except you won't have to go to Best Buy to buy them and you won't have pesky hard copies filling up your book shelves.

I believe, without a doubt, that this system or something similar will happen within 10 years.

I have the same problem with Love Film in the UK.
Try Blockbuster. I still get dvds I can't find even if they are actually out in the shops, but I've had more luck compared to Lovefilm - who were terrible when I was with them, plus they have the trouble with Universal and so on, so you can't even get the new releases from certain big film companies...

Ahhh. I didn't know there was a problem between Love Film and Universal.

That makes sense though because we had to buy Joe Wright's Hanna just to see it. It worked out ok though becasue even though Kathy wasn't fussed; I really liked the film.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I don't think Netflix or Netflix-like systems are where the future of home entertainment actually lies. Those things will be around, but, once the distributers actually wise up (and they are), they will self-distribute their catalog. I predict that you will have free access to a streaming catalog from each distributer and you will pay for access to individual films. Just like buying a DVD, you will pay 'X' dollars to have permanent access to a streaming copy of whatever specific title that you want. You will then be able to stream it to your roku box/iPhone/gaming system/built-in TV software/etc.

Don't believe me? The Green Lantern Blu-Ray comes with a digital copy of the film that does just that. Netflix proved that it can be done, now it's up to the distributers to actually release their own content. It won't change how your film viewing works at home except you won't have to go to Best Buy to buy them and you won't have pesky hard copies filling up your book shelves.

I believe, without a doubt, that this system or something similar will happen within 10 years.
I think what will eventually happen is the studios embrace cable TV and the movie on demand model.

The Paramount channel for say 15 bucks a month, would give the consumer access to any and all flims that they(or brands off brands that they own) have produced 24-7.

Additionally i forsee a Special Features tab that will allow the viewer to watch featurettes as well as commentary of whichever flick.

This really has unlimited potential. I've often thought there is a market for having "guest" commentaries, ie to say that Actorsl,Directors, Comedians and such that wasnt involved in the film sharing thoughts on a movie.

Or a critic even. One of my fave commentaries of all time is Roger Eberts on the Dark City Directors Cut.

But i'd love to hear say, William Friedkin's take on Bullitt or Ben Stein on any Michael Moore film (except for Canadian Bacon. Nobody needs to see that again ever )

The only problem with that, Dexter, is people have already embraced streaming video. Netflix is massively successful despite their recent missteps. Plus people like being able to watch things on their iPhone/iPad/etc.

I dont' doubt that on demand will grow, I just think streaming video is more likely going to be the death of DVDs than on demand.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The internet as we have it now will not continue forever and ever.

Certainly not as cheaply as we have it now.

Streaming Video isnt as profitable to the Studios as the model i suggested i don't believe.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. It's time to derail this thread.

Where is the internet going?

I AM A PROPHET OF DOOM! HEAR MY VOICE AND TREMBLE!

News from Apple today:

Apple’s iCloud now supports movies: The movies you purchase on iTunes will be stored in the cloud and made available for re-download to any of your iOS devices, or stream directly to your AppleTV. You’ll never again have to worry about storing digital movies on your computer’s hard drive, as they’ll always be available for streaming or download in the cloud.
As I said, this is the future of your DVD collection. The cloud is where it's all going.

EDIT: Source.