The end of DVDs?

Tools    

You're being too pessimistic. The point I'm trying to make is that VHS STILL exists, and even though it's not the BIG thing.. it's still used.
But it's not sold. It doesn't matter fifteen years from now that you still watch your DVDs if they aren't sold in stores. The effect is still the same.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You realize that if everything went digital in 15 years, the business people will lose a good chunk of their customers? I don't see it happening soon.

Suspect's Reviews

You realize that if everything went digital in 15 years, the business people will lose a good chunk of their customers? I don't see it happening soon.
Exactly! So, if you look at it, the DVD fans won't let it happen, and neither will business men. That's a whole lotta people who WON'T let it happen.

Exactly! So, if you look at it, the DVD fans won't let it happen, and neither will business men. That's a whole lotta people who WON'T let it happen.
How many businessmen said they could stop Napster? To quote The Social Network, "Want to buy a Tower Records?"

Can you prove this? I pointed out as many facts as I could without going into actual statistics. I know that Hulu and Netflix users number in the tens of millions.

Why would they lose customers? Did we all abandon ship from the theaters when TV was invented? Did we stop renting videos when Blockbuster went from VHS to DVD? What you're saying has nothing to back it up other than people who like to hold things intheir hand.

All you who think that DVDs aren't going to be gone within ten years, how many CDs have you bought in the last five years? How many of you are aware that iTunes sales have been setting records this year? Why does it work for the music industry but not film?

I'm amazed that I appear to be the only person who sees this coming.

All you who think that DVDs aren't going to be gone within ten years, how many CDs have you bought in the last five years?
Me personally? None. That's because I'm broke so I download all stuff for free, but I know a lot of people who still buy CDs because they like to collect their music on actual discs. This is even more apparent with movies on DVD than music on CD.

Anyone who doesn't see the end of the hard copy really isn't paying attention or they hold too much value in their DVD collections and are in denial.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I tend to concur with Lime and bouncingbrick. I never buy DVDs anymore, because it's sooooo much cheaper to acquire them through 'magic'. I don't care about having a hard copy, because in the end, it boils down to the same thing: you watch your film on a screen, whether you insert a hard copy or just have a digital one on your computer.

It's different with books. I too can acquire a kindle and have 6000 books and acquire the latest ones through that same 'magic' for next to nothing. But I just enjoy having a hard copy to read, so I don't have to look at a screen, even though I know that that screen can be perfectly adapted to my eyes and what not.

I will stop buying dvds when there's no-one left selling them (and that includes charity shops and boot sales). I'm sure it will all be digital in the next ten or so years which gives me plenty of time to upload them all onto a massive hard drive. Until then I'll sit back in my movie room/library enjoying the art work and smelling the cases.

Eh, also probably wrong, unless you're 65+ years-old.
Nope, much much younger lol. But I still stick with that it will not ALL be digital ONLY for a long long time, as I said.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

All you who think that DVDs aren't going to be gone within ten years, how many CDs have you bought in the last five years? How many of you are aware that iTunes sales have been setting records this year? Why does it work for the music industry but not film?

I'm amazed that I appear to be the only person who sees this coming.

Comparing the Music industry to the Movie Industry is a leap in logic.

Comparing the Music industry to the Movie Industry is a leap in logic.
Is it? Explain.

Because, as I already stated, all forms of media and information transferance have been completely transformed by the internet. Yet, for some reason, at least half of the people in this forum seem to think that films are untouchable.

How can you ignore the evidence? Netflix streaming, iTunes rent/purchases, Amazon's streaming service, Hulu, HBO Go, and God only knows what I'm forgetting.

Also, as to the incredible speed of bandwidth evolution, does anyone besides me remember RealPlayer when it was the major way to watch videos? We've come so far so fast there's no way that the next evolution will take longer than ten-fifteen years.

And, yes, they'll still sell DVDs to old people and hanger-ons. But the vast majority will be in the cloud. Especially if the movie industry would get smart about it. They could actually reduce piracy, if they were smart.

Here's a bit more evidence supporting my outlandish claims. Netflix's stats are staggering. If the film distributers were wise, they'd take a page out of Netflix's book.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	netflix-infographic-large.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	7610  

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I already know a lot of people who consider it "stupid" to even buy DVD's, and have sold all the ones they already owned. Sadly, I think that is the direction we're headed. I still have cassettes and a couple of VHS tapes from Olden Times, and a small stack of vinyl records too, but I never use them. Have a cassette player somewhere, but not sure where it is. Haven't had players for VHS or records in 7 and 20 years, respectively.

Looking at this thread from a business perspective, I'm wishing I knew how to create a site for people to store their favorite movies. But P2P sharing is already out there, just like it is for music, and it seems odd that people are drawing a distinction between two such similar things.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Nope, much much younger lol. But I still stick with that it will not ALL be digital ONLY for a long long time, as I said.
Would you also say that in terms of music, we're not entirely done with cassettes? Just making sure I understand what you're using for terms, here. While there are still cassettes in existence, and the odd player here and there, I think the format has unquestionably shifted, and in terms of what any reasonable person would want to purchase, casettes are out of the running. I think the point here is that dvds are doing the same.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
Man I sure hope so since Blu-Ray costs about as much for freaking rent. If I lose DVDs I lose a big part of my life.

Man I sure hope so since Blu-Ray costs about as much for freaking rent. If I lose DVDs I lose a big part of my life.
Why? Would you stop watching movies? Do people stop reading books because of Kindle? Did you stop listening to music because of iTunes/CDs/cassettes/8 tracks/record player?

This attitude completely perplexes me. The form of entertainment isn't going away. Theaters aren't shutting down. It's just change. Change is good.

If you shop around, you can get good price new release blu-rays only about £2 more than the DVD(and worth it in my eyes for the quality). For example - when Super was first released on blu-ray, it was only £9. And older releases are really cheap now for blu-ray films. And sometimes the DVD is more than the Blu-ray... Dark City: Director's Cut was when it first came out.

If you save and buy a blu ray player, you don't have to get rid of the DVDs you have because it will play DVDs too and it will upscale the DVDs also which make them look better.

Didn't quite understand this part:

since Blu-Ray costs about as much for freaking rent.

I hope DVDs as well as Blu Rays stick around for the foreseeable future because home entertainment still exists despite the internet and streaming. I rarely watch films online. Its either DVD,Blu Ray, Cinema Or TV.