Do you lend DVDs to friends? What if they keep them?

Tools    

When your friend ask you want borrow your dvd's and they did keep it your dvd?

Yes or No?

My answer:

My friends don't ask me to borrow dvd's.

Henh?! Henh?! Truly the sponge is being wrung but good with all these thread concepts.

Policy #1 Only lend to those you know youll see again

Policy #2 Never lend on the first meeting

Policy #3 Remember A Bronx Tale?! For someone you dont like lend a movie you know they wont bring back, and you dont mind losing. Then you'll never have to see them again.

Policy #4 If you buy movies you know you wont like its good someone jacked your stuff. Helping the economy is one thing, but ffs support good cinema only. Always leave your bad films out to see, and brag about them too.

Policy #5 If somoene jacks your platinum 25th anniversary DVD edition of Space Wars whatchmacallit then go to their home and put sugar in thier gas tank. They have to buy a new engine! joy

Policy #6 Steal something of theirs but make sure its more valuable. Then send pictures of it to them, but without you in them. When your friend cries to you about their awful plight youll feel better.

Policy #7 Dye packs. Buy 2 of whatever good movie you like. Keep one locked away then leave the other one out with a dye pack. They steal your DVD, run out of the house, and when it explodes youll never see their orange ass again.

Policy #8 Never buy movies, but steal them yourself. It doesnt help the industry, but its impossible for you to be stole from.

Policy #9 If you know your friends a thief put a fake copy of whatever movie you know they like out in the open. When they watch it theyll find out its Wild Wild West and cry.

Policy #10 Beat their ass!

You want to post like me?
I don't borrow my DVDs to people I don't trust, or if I don't see them very often. Lost quite a few that way, and eventually you learn to keep them to yourself.

TONGO's policies are sound, I say use that as a guide if y'all unsure. I only borrow DVDs to people I trust in all. I'm quite perceptive and know who to trust and lend to. There are some members of my family that I just won't bother lending to because I don't even know where abouts they live even though they live in the same city as me!

I have lent to a lot of my friends and sometimes i have to push to lend a film to someone because i'm always curious to hear a response and opinion on a particular film. The worst is when you lend a film you really that you really want an opinion on and they take like forever to watch it. Like i've lent This Is England to my mum back in March and she STILL ain't flippin' watched it!

My uncle borrowed my Band of brothers DVD series and hasn't given it back but i dont want to ask him for it because i dont want to be rude. Every time i go to his house i can see it on his shelf.

I learnt from leanding out videos back in the old days, they would either never come back or always come back faulty in some way. I did for a time never allow anyone to borrow any of my DVD's out of fear they would be scratched or I'd never see them again.

But, I've loosened this policy somewhat, mainly due to the fact that I myself have borrowed from people and I dont want to look like a hypocite. But I'm the kind of guy who gives people back their stuff anyway. I only really give movies, books or CD's out to people I see on a fairly regular basis.

I've lost a lot of DVD's over the years from loaning them out but it's not a biggy with me... if it is something I really liked, I'll just buy it again. I do, however, have a few DVD's I won't loan out to anyone... they're welcome to watch them at my place but they don't leave...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I do, however, have a few DVD's I won't loan out to anyone... they're welcome to watch them at my place but they don't leave...
What time? You have popcorn?

Depends on the friend, and the DVD. If I don't see the friend often enough and/or the DVD is one I care about a fair bit, I might loan it, but I'll stress how important it is that I get it back in good shape. That usually helps. But I don't loan DVDs out very often. My brother's had to re-buy BASEketball twice, I believe, for loaning it out and not getting it back.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
No, I rip the DVD, ask for a USB stick, and give it like that, that way, there will be no problems and my DVD's are safe

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

What time? You have popcorn?

What 'cha want to watch? And yes, I have

I need a new pack of post-it notes... all this has reminded me I am supposed to be working on a MoFo DVD list.... and updating my own....

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've let people borrow my movies, one of which was The Shawshank Redemption. Never got it back from the guy, even after reminding him about it. Luckily for me, they released a better version of the DVD. A couple others have been loaned out, but I guess I didn't mind because I don't even remember what they were. These days, I tend to be a little more cautious about who borrows a movie from me.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I am half agony, half hope.
Yes, I loan out DVDs, and I usually get them back. The couple of times my movies haven't been returned, I just bought a replacement. I never remind my friends that they have it, I figure they remember they borrowed it. One actually came back to me months later, my friend had run across it while cleaning and remembered it was mine, so I gave the replacement dvd to someone else to watch. It's like a lending library of one dvd now.

Johann von Goethe

No, I rip the DVD, ask for a USB stick, and give it like that, that way, there will be no problems and my DVD's are safe
isn't that kind of illegal???

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
perhaps, but it keeps my DVD's from getting scratched and that way I have a backup of the movie too

Greets
Spikez

perhaps, but it keeps my DVD's from getting scratched and that way I have a backup of the movie too

Greets
Spikez

It's a fine line.... but as I understand it, it is legal to make a back-up copy of a legally purchased DVD... and as long as you are just loaning the back-up out and not turning a profit from it, I don't think it would be illegal... that is, as long as the friend you loaned it to... 1) returns it... and 2) doesn't decide to rip a few more and sell them... if that were to happen, you could end up in a spot of trouble...

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Caitlyn's right. It IS legal to back-up a copy of a DVD you actually paid money for. I advise against loaning out the copy, though (unless you really trust the friend).

Generally only to family members because I know they'll be looked after and I'll get them back. I've been stung a few times in the past by so called friends whose (unbeknownst to me) hobbies included vigorously rubbing dvd's on sandpaper, and spilling coffee over the slipcases. Never again. If friends want to watch my movies, then they watch them at my place or not at all.