DVD Aficionado

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The specific edition would be a perk, but the simple dvd listing is something that people would use regardless.

Suspect's Reviews

I know this has been sitting awhile, but I finished some other projects and have been doing more development work, so I recently took this up again.

I have a decent source for raw information on specific editions; the main issue is that it's very basic and doesn't have crucial things like box art. That, and I might have to link it to some common APIs so we can get a little basic info about each movie.

So, my question is this: to those who are interested, would you be willing to be high-end beta testers? Not just in testing scripts, but in helping to track down some box art early on for the discs you add? I would be able to provide some scripts that would make submitting them as easy as possible on you, and obviously you'd get to see the whole thing before anyone else.

Any takers?

I might be up for something like that, depending on what sort of time commitment it would involve. I love the idea too, I've been looking for a DVD database that I like for ages. To have one integrated here would be perfect.

Obviously, nothing formal; just a good faith effort to, say, add the discs in your collection and make a good faith effort to add box art for a good chunk of them. My expectation is that this would be superfluous after a few, anyway, because if I can make the process reasonably fast and easy I suspect it would be a pleasure to use, anyway.

Awesome, guys. I'm already further along on this then I've ever been, so I'll keep at it with an eye towards whipping it into shape enough that it'd be ready for something like this.

Still would love more volunteers, too, if anyone else is interested.

Movie Forums Insomniac
I'm happy they fixed all their bugs. Plus the new look is pretty sweet.

Still gotta work a few things out, then build some tools to streamline the process. Sorry, didn't mean to get anyone amped up too far in advance! I'm working pretty hard on it, though, and just need to accomplish 2-3 things before we can get into the box art stuff.

I've got a lot of DVD's. Are you talking like taking scans of them? I could do that, maybe not with all of them but yeah, let me know.

Oh, nothing nearly that difficult. Just things like finding the matching box art and/or clicking a couple things to verify that the system's attempt to match discs titles to actual movie titles are correct. The latter is something that would be stupidly easy to do a bunch of quickly, but just needs a small human element to get right.

Because of SC's eagerness I've been working on the tools I mentioned a bit more than planned and I'm making good progress. Hopefully I'll have both of the basic ones done soon.

Trying to make them as easy to use as possible, though a few mild instructions will probably be necessary. But after just one or two it should be really easy.

I google dvd covers all the time for torrenting, so is that the kind of thing this is? Are you putting together a database? I haven't read the entire thread if you couldn't tell.

Yeah, it's a database. I have the raw title data, it's just a matter of a) linking lots of it to the appropriate box art and b) linking it to an correct movie in an open movie database I'm using. The latter, in particular, really isn't hard, it just requires that little bit of human input.

I'm actually almost done with a tool that really streamlines the process. I think you guys will dig it.

Okay, I've got something fairly usable done. I've got a few other things to do this weekend so, if it's cool, I'll drop you guys a PM on Monday with a link and some basic instructions and you can see what you think of it.

Naturally, if anyone else is interested in helping out, just post in here and I'll PM you about it, too. I'll use part of the weekend to see if I can tweak it a bit more, too.

Just a quick update; I've got the tool up and working and a couple of users have tried it already. If anyone else is interested in helping out with The Great MoFo Disc Database Project by adding part of their own collections, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Adding to this database (while simultaneously developing its front-end in the background) is probably going to comprise the majority of my MoFo-related development time for the next couple of months.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I know this has been sitting awhile, but I finished some other projects and have been doing more development work, so I recently took this up again.

I have a decent source for raw information on specific editions; the main issue is that it's very basic and doesn't have crucial things like box art. That, and I might have to link it to some common APIs so we can get a little basic info about each movie.

So, my question is this: to those who are interested, would you be willing to be high-end beta testers? Not just in testing scripts, but in helping to track down some box art early on for the discs you add? I would be able to provide some scripts that would make submitting them as easy as possible on you, and obviously you'd get to see the whole thing before anyone else.

Any takers?
sure