What's so great about Dirty Dancing (1987)?

Tools    

Well, maybe, but I'm not sure what you're asking once we remove the whole "classic" thing, or excise your friends from the question. Are you literally just saying "some people seem to like Dirty Dancing but I don't think it's that good"?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well, maybe, but I'm not sure what you're asking once we remove the whole "classic" thing, or excise your friends from the question. Are you literally just saying "some people seem to like Dirty Dancing but I don't think it's that good"?
Well it's more than like. People love it, to the point where it's one of their best movies of all time, like it holds some sort of special place in film history. They love it to the point where they act like it's revolutionary, and that is what I was trying to say, and I did not get why.

I think my very first reply probably answers that fairly well, then: maybe they don't think it "holds some sort of special place in film history," and the degree to which it sounds like they think that may just be a reflection of using a word like "classic" differently than you or I might.

Well I asked my friends and 2 of them said they would put it in their top 5 movies of all time though, so wouldn't a movie have to be quite important to think that highly of it though?

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The movie elicits emotion. Watching it gives you The Feels. It’s hard to quantify this. You can poke holes in the plot, dam it for not being wholly original or not technically pioneering some type of filmmaking but you can’t stop people from falling in love with it.

Well I asked my friends and 2 of them said they would put it in their top 5 movies of all time though, so wouldn't a movie have to be quite important to think that highly of it though?

The movie elicits emotion. Watching it gives you The Feels. It’s hard to quantify this. You can poke holes in the plot, dam it for not being wholly original or not technically pioneering some type of filmmaking but you can’t stop people from falling in love with it.

Exactly.
I love RoboCop, as do others... I also love Alien 3 and Showgirls, which isn't a sentiment that many other people share.
I can't stand 2001: A Space Odyssey or A Clockwork Orange, in fact I think they're the most overrated movies that have ever been made... yet both are considered classics and masterpieces in every sense of those words.

A movie doesn't have to be a masterpiece for people to love them... and not all masterpieces are loved by 100% of the population... it's all just personal preference.

My other 1/2 loved it when she was a bairn so we tried to watch it together, I really did think it was pretty cr@p but I'm not into musical/dancing films...she still thinks its amaze-balls

Actor - Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Grey and Jerry Obach
Music
Love Story
Underdog gets the girl
Dancing

Everything women love...

One of the greatest soundtracks ever. It's not in my top 10 for sure, but I bloody love this film! Swayze is the most wholesome "bad boy" you'll find in any movie

Actor - Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Grey and Jerry Obach
Music
Love Story
Underdog gets the girl
Dancing

Everything women love...
Underdog gets the girl? No. Good guy average Joe? maybe.

The truth is in here
When I watched it the impression that I got afterwards was "Yeah, it was decent". But I didn't see what made it such an amazing movie. The casting of Patrick Swayze was brilliant, but I didn't really care about the story, and it didn't have as many memorable scenes as I expected. Flashdance, another dance movie that came out in the 80's, was a much more satisfying experience with more interesting characters and a better plot. It left me feeling happy afterwards.

Oh okay, I haven't seen Flashdance yet, so I can't compare.

As for the underdog getting the girl, I thought that Baby was the underdog, since Johnny was the bad boy that all the ladies wanted at the resort. So I thought Baby was the underdog unless I saw it wrong.

My two friends said they love the movie cause it's the ultimate female fantasy to make a bad boy fall for you, and that I am not into it, cause I'm a guy.

But, as a guy, if the ultimate guy fantasy with a woman, was made into a 2 hour long movie, it would not go on to become a timeless classic, and guys would not cherish it that way.

I’ve seen it once, I believe, but never wanted to see it again. An okay movie, nothing special to me.

Considering Johnny was a "troublemaker" and got Penny pregnant or so they thought... and he listened to rock music, slept around with the patrons wives and came from a broken family.. .

I consider him the underdog.

Edit: this film was a bridge for when young people started listening to something other than their parent's musical taste.

It's a coming of age film

I love it and I don't know why or I don't feel like thinking about it.
I have seen this film over a dozen times.. and twice in the cinema..

When it first came out and part of a Classic Series that Cinemark does.

I have seen this film over a dozen times.. and twice in the cinema..

When it first came out and part of a Classic Series that Cinemark does.
Yea I saw it a couple times at the cinema as well and my sister loved it. It's not really my kind of movie so it's hard to explain. It's just a feeling.

Yea I saw it a couple times at the cinema as well and my sister loved it. It's not really my kind of movie so it's hard to explain. It's just a feeling.
Cricket just admitted he gave up his "ManCard"...

Considering Johnny was a "troublemaker" and got Penny pregnant or so they thought... and he listened to rock music, slept around with the patrons wives and came from a broken family.. .

I consider him the underdog.

Edit: this film was a bridge for when young people started listening to something other than their parent's musical taste.

It's a coming of age film
Ah, an underdog because of how people perceived him, got it, agreed

Well I thought underdog also implies to a character where it's hard to get girls. A guy like Johnny wouldn't have a problem normally, since the women love him. So I thought he wouldn't be the underdog of a romance story, if he is popular with opposite sex.

Where as Baby has never had a guy it seems, so I thought she was the underdog, in the context or romance.