Dirty Dancing remake on the way

Tools    

It's time to put baby back in the corner as the remake of much loved, and often imitated, 80's classic 'Dirty Dancing' has been given the go ahead.

Lionsgate have confirmed that director Kenny Ortega will helm the new version of the 1987 movie, a project that has special significance to the filmmaker.

The original film cost £3.7m to make but raked in a whopping £131m at the international box-office. It then continued to perform well on video, back in the glory days of VHS, and has recently enjoyed a successful run as a stage production in various countries.

Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey starred in the original, with both actors having a significant background in dance before joining the project. It was an authenticity that shone through, and the iconic routines continue to be imitated at weddings and parties to this day.

Less successful was a short-lived TV series and a prequel released in 2004. 'Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights' saw Swayze make a cameo, but had little else in common with the first film.

The famous choreography for 'Dirty Dancing' was devised by Ortega, who went on to direct 'High School Musical' as well as its two sequels. He also made the Michael Jackson concert movie 'This Is It' and was in line for the 'Footloose' remake, but dropped out of that project.

In a statement on film website, Deadline, Ortega said:

“The opportunity to direct 'Dirty Dancing' is like returning home for me. Growing up in the 60’s on the dance floor helped define me as a person and as an artist. I am looking forward to assembling a great creative team and an exciting cast to bring 'Dirty Dancing' to the screen for a new generation.”

With the new version of 'Footloose' also on the way, are we ready for another 80's revival, and more importantly can we cope with the 'interesting' fashion styles?
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/09082011/...ake-way-0.html

Semper Fooey
I can hardly wait.

For once; Will and I are in complete agreement. My god...

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=14266880

My local news actually did a story on this, that's hilarious. Oh yeah I should have explained that the original was filmed about 30 minutes from where I live, so that's kinda cool.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

It's still hard to believe that Patrick Swayze is dead. I'm not a fan of Dirty Dancing -- it's okay, from what I remember -- I'd only watch the remake if Jake Gyllenhaal was filling in for his dancing shoes (and tights.)

As terrible as a remake of this movie is.. did someone say.... Jake Gyllenhaal in tights? *nom nom nom*

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Am I alone in not understanding the appeal of the original Dirty Dancing? It was kind of a bad movie. I know I'm not it's target audience, but I've been forced to watch a ton of "chick flicks" in the past and I can admit that some of them were actually quite good. Dirty Dancing, however, was not one of them.

I don't care if it gets remade, as long as they don't do a remake of Roadhouse or Point Break. Those are two Patrick Swayze classics. Do Not Touch.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I've seen the movie once and I don't wanna say anything bad about it because I am a fan of Patrick Swayze, but my mom loves this movie so that's about all that needs to be said.

Am I alone in not understanding the appeal of the original Dirty Dancing? It was kind of a bad movie. I know I'm not it's target audience, but I've been forced to watch a ton of "chick flicks" in the past and I can admit that some of them were actually quite good. Dirty Dancing, however, was not one of them.
I'm with you on this one, MP. Of 'the chick-flick 5' (as I call them) I 'get' Grease and I 'get' Pretty Woman, I 'get' Ghost (as much as I hate it) and I've not seen Mamma Mia, but I'm guessing it's got much of the same appeal as Grease. Dirty Dancing, however, I don't get.

I don't care if it gets remade, as long as they don't do a remake of Roadhouse or Point Break. Those are two Patrick Swayze classics. Do Not Touch.
Dirty Dancing for me (and I imagine many other females), aside from having the usual romantic/dance flick stuff girls like, is about growing up and finding out who you are/want to be. Struggling with the kind of person you want to be vs. who your parents/society expects you to be. Learning about yourself, finding something that makes you joyful, and once you come to terms with that, letting/finding someone who understands who you are and falling in love with you.

It's a modern day fairytale, but with the princess standing up for herself for a change, but also a little prince rescuing as well.

What girl doesn't love that.

Oh and all the sexy sexy dancing.

I'm with you on this one, MP. Of 'the chick-flick 5' (as I call them) I 'get' Grease and I 'get' Pretty Woman, I 'get' Ghost (as much as I hate it) and I've not seen Mamma Mia, but I'm guessing it's got much of the same appeal as Grease. Dirty Dancing, however, I don't get.
Bit of a side note: While I love Grease.. omg why does she have to change for the guy? I always hate that. Go Rizzo instead. I am what I am. ROAR! *smile*

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate has set Maria Maggenti to script the Dirty Dancing remake that has Kenny Ortega attached to direct. Ortega was the choreographer of the 1987 Emile Ardolino-helmed film about a pampered young girl who summers with her upscale family at an establishment in the Catskills and falls in love with the resident dance instructor. Because Lionsgate has fast-tracked the film and set a director, this was a job a lot of writers wanted. Maggenti got it after scripting Monte Carlo for Fox and New Regency. Since then, she scripted an adaptation of Before I Fall and is finishing up My Name Is Memory, also for Fox 2000 and New Regency. The writer’s repped by APA and Madhouse Entertainment.
Lionsgate is hoping to recapture some of the financial magic of the original, a sleeper hit that for its time was one of the most profitable independent films ever seen, costing $6 million and grossing $213.95 million worldwide. It was made by Vestron, which could not get its act together and mobilize a sequel before crapping out. Lionsgate released Artisan’s 2004 sequel, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, but didn’t make that film and has started from scratch and gone back to the original.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/scri...dirty-dancing/

Am I the only one who thinks the whole idea is as stupid as remaking Footloose? Remakes are almost always inferior; why remake this, especially so soon after Swayze's death?