Washington Redskins are changing their name and logo

Tools    

Here's an interesting what if: What if every single living Native American doesn't mind the name but it was all their deceased family members that hated it when they were alive? Go.
Now I know why, whenever there's a Red Skins game on, I find my blond-haired daughter right up against the TV with her hands on the screen, as she keeps turning to me and saying "They're here."

P.S. I don't have a daughter.

"Effective immediately, Washington will call itself the “Washington Football Team”, pending adoption of a new name, sources tell ESPN."

Lulz
I like it - pretty unambiguous and safe I think

A system of cells interlinked
I like it - pretty unambiguous and safe I think
Negative!

Washington is offensive. I heard that guy owned slaves and stuff. Also, District of Columbia won't work either. Columbia reminds people of Columbus, and we all hate that guy, too.

Instead, let's just go with THE DISTRICT TEAM.

New logo below:

Also, they are allowed exactly one cheerleader:

May the odds be forever in their favor!

Negative!

Washington is offensive.
Hang on a minute .... aren't all American Football teams meant to be a mix of both defensive and offensive????

Perhaps we'll all wake up in the shower next week and this will all have been a dream

(Though tbh - the 'all waking up in a shower together' bit sounds more like a nightmare to me )

"Effective immediately, Washington will call itself the “Washington Football Team”, pending adoption of a new name, sources tell ESPN."Lulz
Offensive to European Football fans

They should just call themselves the Washington Native Americans
Then we'd have to have this thread all over again in a couple years when that name is found offensive

Now I know why, whenever there's a Red Skins game on, I find my blond-haired daughter right up against the TV with her hands on the screen, as she keeps turning to me and saying "They're here."
P.S. I don't have a daughter.
If you did have a daughter you could name her Winter.

People got to think of the rivalry between Washington and Dallas. So be p.c. and call them the Washington Indians. Cleveland's called the Indians. Dallas Cowboys and Washington Indians, they change their logo to a cooler looking Indian, that's a win-win

If you did have a daughter you could name her Winter.
I'd name her Winter Soldier.

P.S. I actually don't like the whole story arc of bringing Bucky back to life and making him a Russian assassin with a bionic arm. I always liked the fact that he was the one comic book character that STAYED dead! "Bionic arm" how cliched can they get? Speaking of PC - Bucky's bionic arm helps diminish Misty Knight - a strong black female character - the first to have a bionic arm!

I'd name her Winter Soldier.

P.S. I actually don't like the whole story arc of bringing Bucky back to life and making him a Russian assassin with a bionic arm. I always liked the fact that he was the one comic book character that STAYED dead! "Bionic arm" how cliched can they get? Speaking of PC - Bucky's bionic arm helps diminish Misty Knight - a strong black female character - the first to have a bionic arm!
I'm not sure I get all of that, must be a comic book reference?

BTW this is Winter Steele, maybe you remember this?

The trick is not minding

Yep, it’s a comic book reference. He's also been adapted to the movies. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I'm afraid I don't remember "Winter Steele"! (Looks pretty crazy!)

Bucky Barnes was Captain America's side-kick throughout WWII (in both the comic stories and their publication history), in the tradition of the most popular teen comic book sidekick: Robin the Boy Wonder!

In the 60's (after Marvel Comics brought Captain America back - saying he hadn't aged because he had been in suspended animation) they told a story how Bucky was killed while trying to disarm a bomb on a drone plane near the end of WWII.

There was a comic book trope of killing off characters JUST to bring them back again (as their return would generate revenue) - this trend grew (especially in the 90's) to the point where no character's death (threat of death, rumor of death or depicted certain death) could be taken seriously.

There was one character that stood out though - Bucky - he was one of the most famous characters killed off who remained dead.

But he soon rejoined the overflowing ranks of the resurrected - a new story was concocted that the explosion thought to have killed him took his arm. His body was recovered by Soviets, he too was put in suspended animation, given a bionic arm, and brainwashed to become a Russian assassin called the Winter Soldier.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (bringing the topic back to movies, but not to the Red Skins) incorporated this story and it was the plot for the 2nd Captain America movie: Winter Soldier (2014).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843866/

I try (doesn't look that I was very succesful) to shorten my replies from now on. It's not because you wouldn't deserve more thorough replies but because these discussions occupy me way too much. The reason I try to steer away from these in the first place is that once in I can't stop thinking about them almost 24/7. And yes, political discussions even interfere with my sleep (I lie awake thinking the arguments both ways). It's not healthy, and I know it.
I can relate. We'll just wrap this up now, then.

Yes, context matters like that. What I disagree with, is the idea that the ethnicity of the speaker can automatically create a context that makes the word offensive.
I'm not sure why. Even if you don't like the reclamation of the word, you are aware of the idea, and anyone aware of the idea understands that it signals a different intent. And that's all words are: signaling an idea or intent.

I find you generally thoughtful, which is why I'm harping on this: because I think it is a very uncharacteristic position. I don't think it holds water. It seems like a cheeky way to question the wisdom of reclaiming the word, but goes too far in pretending not to understand how context changes intent, and therefore logically changes reaction.

I think we're still thinking "should" and "must" differently. You associate "must" with action. Your "must" is legal (or forceful) enforcement of something. My "must", on the other hand, is just a demand to comply. My "must" isn't defined by the power to enforce.
Yeah, obviously this is a miscommunication, but hopefully it's clear now.

For a free society to function, we need to be allowed to do things, but we also need to choose not to do most of them. If we did all the worst things that were legal, society would break down. Society, in other words, extends beyond law, and social pressure is crucial to freedom, even if it's possible for it to go too far. Even that is preferable to more laws, which is the alternative.

Let's use the petition I mentioned as an example. The petition demands Redskins to change their name. Is a person signing that petition satisfied if the change doesn't happen? I don't think so. The whole point of the petition is to have the name changed. It's not "Redskins should consider if they'd like to change their name". To me, that is a "must" stance from the individuals signing the petition. There's only one satisfying outcome.
I see. To me, it's still not a "must" because it's not a must that they be satisfied. The "must" is from the perspective of the person being asked to change. It can be a "must" for the person demanding, in terms of their satisfaction, but if their satisfaction is not crucial to me, it won't be a "must" for me.

That clears up some things. I still don't understand why you seemed to be against asking "them" (in this case Native Americans). If, as you said that polls suggest, they aren't offended why would it matter if you, me, or anyone else thinks it would be reasonable for them to be?
I am not against asking. I'm against using a simple majority to make the determination. If 49% of Native Americans are offended by it, that seems more than sufficient.

And here's that difference in a nutshell. You associate "must" with laws while I don't.
Yes and no. Must is legal, in a purely technical sense. My reading of it is therefore the more straightforward: following the law is not optional, pleasing or satisfying others is, therefore it's not a "must" if people "demand" in a way that only uses their disapproval as implicit threat. But I concede that it's possible for a society to be hostile to free speech (and freedom in general) with culture and censure alone.

The whole topic of freedom is extremely difficult (in my opinion). Sometimes I feel that humanity isn't ready for freedom, and it's too often used to destroy and corrode itself. The problem is that cancel culture, boycotts, etc. are expressions of freedom and it's difficult to logically argue against them yet still they diminish the freedom itself.
Indeed, it's very tricky. My inclination is that all that stuff is indeed part of speech, and that while it will be messy (and sometimes even very bad), it beats the alternatives. I also have faith we'll "figure it out" eventually.

"Effective immediately, Washington will call itself the “Washington Football Team”, pending adoption of a new name, sources tell ESPN."
How hard was that.

I'm not sure why. Even if you don't like the reclamation of the word, you are aware of the idea, and anyone aware of the idea understands that it signals a different intent. And that's all words are: signaling an idea or intent.
I am aware of word reclamation, but I do not agree with the idea. There are multiple reasons for this:

1) "Messenger" vs "the message" - the intent or the context can't be deciphered by the (physical) attributes of the speaker alone.

2) I hold the richness of the language in high value. "Banning" (that's what it basically is today) the words reduces the richness and expressiveness of the language. This is true for all words.

3) If the word is reclaimed due to an idea or intent it conveys outside the reclaiming group, the issue isn't about words anymore; it's about "banning" ideas and intents, in other words, thought-policing.

I don't disagree with the idea of being offended by words. I disagree with the logic and reason and morality behind it. A proper and non-problematic way to reclaim a word would be to take an originally derogatory term and just claim it as your own self-definition. Reclaiming becomes problematic the instant it tries to take words away from others.

For a free society to function, we need to be allowed to do things, but we also need to choose not to do most of them. If we did all the worst things that were legal, society would break down. Society, in other words, extends beyond law, and social pressure is crucial to freedom, even if it's possible for it to go too far. Even that is preferable to more laws, which is the alternative.
I mostly agree. I'm not too sure about the extreme social pressure being favorable to more (well-defined) laws, though. To me, social pressure ends in "witchhunts" and ethnic/political cleansings while legislation at least has a chance to ensure some level of equality.

I see. To me, it's still not a "must" because it's not a must that they be satisfied. The "must" is from the perspective of the person being asked to change. It can be a "must" for the person demanding, in terms of their satisfaction, but if their satisfaction is not crucial to me, it won't be a "must" for me.
I, sort of, see but fail to grasp the logic. From your point of view, the "must" shouldn't be about how you feel about the demand but whether you have an option to refuse (which leads back to the ability to enforce the demand). The main difference, to me, is that I'm speaking of an idea while you're speaking of actualization of the idea.

Indeed, it's very tricky. My inclination is that all that stuff is indeed part of speech, and that while it will be messy (and sometimes even very bad), it beats the alternatives. I also have faith we'll "figure it out" eventually.
I'm not sure if I share your optimism. At least I'm sure that a vast amount of blood will be spilled before we "figure it out" and the solution may not be the one either of us has in mind.

I am aware of word reclamation, but I do not agree with the idea. There are multiple reasons for this:

1) "Messenger" vs "the message" - the intent or the context can't be deciphered by the (physical) attributes of the speaker alone.
This has already changed the terms of the discussion, though. The issue is whether it's irrational to react any differently based on the attributes of the speaker, not whether you can determine their entire intent from that alone.

2) I hold the richness of the language in high value. "Banning" (that's what it basically is today) the words reduces the richness and expressiveness of the language. This is true for all words.
3) If the word is reclaimed due to an idea or intent it conveys outside the reclaiming group, the issue isn't about words anymore; it's about "banning" ideas and intents, in other words, thought-policing.
I'm happy to discuss these things, but they're ultimately beside the question we're considering.

The only thing at issue is whether it's reasonable for a black person to react differently to that slur from another black person than they would from a white person. That's the whole issue. Bringing all these other questions into that question suggests to me that you do not really think that distinction is unreasonable by itself, but feel obligated to disagree with it because of these much broader disagreements you're expressing now. You seem to disagree with the culture and decisions that led to the situation where someone will react differently to those words, but I'm not sure pretending there should be no difference is a reasonable way to express that.

I mostly agree. I'm not too sure about the extreme social pressure being favorable to more (well-defined) laws, though. To me, social pressure ends in "witchhunts" and ethnic/political cleansings while legislation at least has a chance to ensure some level of equality.
I'm not sure it has much more chance of equality, and the downside is much more serious and tangible than even extreme levels of societal disapproval, but that's probably outside any useful scope of this conversation.

I, sort of, see but fail to grasp the logic. From your point of view, the "must" shouldn't be about how you feel about the demand but whether you have an option to refuse (which leads back to the ability to enforce the demand). The main difference, to me, is that I'm speaking of an idea while you're speaking of actualization of the idea.
Right, I'm using "must" in a straightforward sense. Every "must" needs an "unless" to be fully understood, I think. Technically there is no such thing as a "must" since you can refuse to do something even with threatened by death, but we understand that situation to be a "must" in any meaningful sense.

"You must...or else you go to jail" is obviously on another level from "You must...or you'll lose this sponsor and people will yell at you on Twitter."

I'm not sure if I share your optimism. At least I'm sure that a vast amount of blood will be spilled before we "figure it out" and the solution may not be the one either of us has in mind.
Very plausible, yes.