CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Interesting. I think many people wouldn’t have the money for a lawyer so it doesn’t occur to them. With actual trials in movies you do hear things like: ‘If you can not afford a lawyer the state will provide one for you’.
If they request the public defender, the PD is court appointed, and does not cost the defendant any money. But I don't recall a movie where they actually did call a lawyer. My Cousin Vinny theydid call a lawyer, but only after they accidentally confess to the crime, which would have been avoided, if they called a lawyer in the first place.

Another cliche is, the age of consent is always 18, even if it's set in a place where it's not the movies or TV, will state it as 18 all the time.

Another cliche is, the age of consent is always 18, even if it's set in a place where it's not the movies or TV, will state it as 18 all the time.

.It is a cliche, but in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, they very blatently show that the age of sexual consent in the U.K. is 15 or 16 (I forget which).

Also, in the movie Love, they show very blatantly that the age of consent in France is at most 16 (or actually less, I think it is technically 14).

18 is an American cliche, but there are exceptions.

That's true. In Family Guy they say it's 18, even though on Rhode Island it is 16. And in Tokyo Drift, they tell the women at the bar to back off of the main character because he is 'underage' they say, even though they age of consent in Japan is 13.

The age of consent in Japan is 13.
Surely that’s untrue?

I was just going by google, when I searched it, after watching the movie, so not sure .

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's not. And you can easily see by googling it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Oh well I was willing to take google over it, compared to Fast and Furious movie .

According to this site, the base age of consent in Japan is 13:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...nt-by-country/

However, it does add this line: "(although Japan has notoriously consent laws that vary in different parts of the country)."

⬆️ From the website: “The Penal Code of Japan was established in 1907 and sets the age of consent at 13. Any sexual activity with a person under this age is always considered to be statutory rape and can result in a prison sentence of up to 20 years. However, chapter 34 of the Children Welfare Act also forbids any act of 'fornication' with children (defined as anyone under 18 years of age).”

Well, this is as clear as mud.

⬆️ From the website: “The Penal Code of Japan was established in 1907 and sets the age of consent at 13. Any sexual activity with a person under this age is always considered to be statutory rape and can result in a prison sentence of up to 20 years. However, chapter 34 of the Children Welfare Act also forbids any act of 'fornication' with children (defined as anyone under 18 years of age).”

Well, this is as clear as mud.

I have to laugh at the fact that we are on a movie website debating the age of consent in Japan.

By the way, I am probably on a government watch list just for googling "age of sexual consent by country".

Oh well I was just pointing out whenever an American movie or TV show is made the age of consent is always 18, even if it's set in a country like Japan, etc.

Another cliche is whenever a movie deals a lot involving computers, or cybernetics, they always feel they have to have a soundtrack that is largely done on a synthesizer instead of real acoustic instruments. Movies like Tron, The Matrix, The Social Network, etc.

Another cliche is whenever a movie deals a lot involving computers, or cybernetics, they always feel they have to have a soundtrack that is largely done on a synthesizer instead of real acoustic instruments. Movies like Tron, The Matrix, The Social Network, etc.
Yes, and they always show the computer operator typing away like mad. They never use the MOUSE. What, are they all working in DOS?..

I actually use to wonder that as a kid, why aren't they using a mouse. But I thought maybe in Tron, back in the 80s, they didn't use a mouse as much as they do now maybe?

When people type on their computer. Typing away at the greatest speed without making any mistakes.

Another one, is (this is also a huge cliche on TV shows as well), when two people have sex, they never put on a condom.

⬆️ And have you noticed how so often the woman leaps onto the man’s body standing up & wraps her legs around him the 1st time they have sex?

Is that not realistic? I've had that happen to me.

Account terminated on request
There are more than a few things that people think are sexual cliches that actually end up being surprisingly not-rare.

No, I'm not going into them.

BTW, is a 555- phone number exchange a cliche?
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

I am not sure if I mentioned this one before, but another one is where in action movies, the villain is in a helpless position and can be arrested. The hero almost kills them but decides not to, or is talked out of it by another character. During this talking, the villain has time to grab a nearby hidden weapon and the hero ends up killing them anyway right then, which feels like it negates the point of the writers wanting to have the villain arrested. Movies like Lethal Weapon, For Your Eyes Only, and Bad Boys come to mind.