Watching films on phone?

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I have before, but only when there are no better options.

Having to hold a phone, or lay down so you can prop it up, is usually the dealbreaker.

I don't. But I've read where some MoFos say they do watch movies on their phones and quite often. And yet others say if you don't have a TV screen the size of a small house you can't watch a movie properly...'Two men say they're Jesus one of them must be wrong.'

No, and hopefully never will. I've watched a few episodes of a series on a tablet, though, but it's a lot bigger than my phone and back then, it also had a better panel than my TV did.

I was fairly recently manhandled into buying a giant full-wall screen for my house (pandemic cravings I guess) and yes, of course that’s a better viewing experience. But at the same time if I’m watching something lame for work/to tick off watchlist etc, then I find myself not minding as much. Wouldn’t do it to a Buñuel film but am watching some **** about vampires now as I watch the oven and it’s kind of working.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, from time to time if I'm traveling or visiting family. I use a bluetooth earbud headset tho which keeps things in stereo. I don't think I would using just the phone speaker. It's convenient not disturbing others when they're all caught up in whatever or asleep. Screen resolutions are crazy now and the size keeps the image tight.

Each to his own of course...Some like using their phones, some need monster size TVs. I love what I have, a smaller big screen TV. It's only 42 inches, but big enough for me and our small living room. I wouldn't want a much larger TV as then the video image needs a higher resolution or pixelating will occur unless HD or better video feed is used. Besides new TVs spy on you and I don't need my TV reporting what it is I'm watching to some corporate big brother.

I don't. But I've read where some MoFos say they do watch movies on their phones and quite often. And yet others say if you don't have a TV screen the size of a small house you can't watch a movie properly...'Two men say they're Jesus one of them must be wrong.'
I’m not as bad with tech as I thought it turns out, when my life depends on it at least, but hell does that screen give me headaches. It’s like its own person. It likes voice commands but only understands a British accent. It will stop casting on a whim, it loses signal, it’s mostly great, but “when it’s bad, it’s awful”. At times I do online shopping off it as it enlarges things nicely, but again, that too is prone to crashing at times. I do think big screens make a difference but small screens aren’t that bad either?

Good point re mic/sound though. I tend to listen via AirPods and they/the sound seem alright. *shrug*

"How tall is King Kong ?"
A movie on a phone ceases to be a movie. That's all.

I never go below a computer screen (or a large tablet's). And it stays proportionate to the "cinematic" requirement of the movie, in terms of quality (I don't really care when it's some trashy B movie) or in terms of image composition (TV movies or TV series are framed for small screens while real cinema movies are framed for huge screens). Most tv screens already don't do justice to grand scale movies. But watching, say, a David Lean or a Leone on a smartphone, that's just pathetic. Better get the flipbook. Or read the wikipedia plot summary. It's on a par with watching a movie in fast forward just to claim you saw it.

But it's also typical of a society where everything becomes fast food equivalent. And this oh so precious ability to watch a stamp-sized movie in a macdonald queue, in the subway or in a cinema where a different movie is playing, is apparently a sufficient reason to consume 5G-levels of energy on a universal scale. With this, cryptocurrencies and NFTs, mankind more than deserves its chosen fate.

What I'm saying is that the universe is designed so that a species that starts watching movies on a wristwatch automatically self-annihilates. Gotta respect that. There, answered your question AND solved the Fermi paradox in one go. You're welcome.

Writes "that's all" and rambles on three more paragraphs. Yeah. Nerve touched.

A movie on a phone ceases to be a movie. That's all.

I never go below a computer screen (or a large tablet's). And it stays proportionate to the "cinematic" requirement of the movie, in terms of quality (I don't really care when it's some trashy B movie) or in terms of image composition (TV movies or TV series are framed for small screens while real cinema movies are framed for huge screens). Most tv screens already don't do justice to grand scale movies. But watching, say, a David Lean or a Leone on a smartphone, that's just pathetic. Better get the flipbook. Or read the wikipedia plot summary. It's on a par with watching a movie in fast forward just to claim you saw it.

But it's also typical of a society where everything becomes fast food equivalent. And this oh so precious ability to watch a stamp-sized movie in a macdonald queue, in the subway or in a cinema where a different movie is playing, is apparently a sufficient reason to consume 5G-levels of energy on a universal scale. With this, cryptocurrencies and NFTs, mankind more than deserves its chosen fate.

What I'm saying is that the universe is designed so that a species that starts watching movies on a wristwatch automatically self-annihilates. Gotta respect that. There, answered your question AND solved the Fermi paradox in one go. You're welcome.

Writes "that's all" and rambles on three more paragraphs. Yeah. Nerve touched.
Love it. And yes, you are right.

What can I say. I was always doomed to self-annihilate, whether alone or as part of my species.

I should say, one can stop their smart TVs and IOTs and anything internet connected on a household network from 'spying' by using Pi-hole which is like my New Year's resolution

What's a Pi-hole, besides a funny name ripe for one liners!...https://blacklab.net/pi-hole-what-is-it/

I have a 50” tv & my prized possession of an iPad Air (actually own 2). Do not own a smart phone & would never watch a movie or even read a book on such a small screen.

One of the tv reviewers for the NY Times once told us she watches tv episodes on her smart phone when she’s on a supermarket line. She lost all credibility then for me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I can't even imagine watching a movie on such a small screen. It's okay for short videos, but anything more than a few minutes would need a bigger screen.

I watched a few episodes of a TV show on a 7-inch tablet a few years ago, but that was only because the show was cancelled mid-season, and the network decided to post the unaired episodes online for the rest of the season. (I think the TV show was "Kidnapped" with Jeremy Sisto.)

Obviously not the first choice but I've done it a couple times at work and it never hindered the experience for me. Then again the biggest screen I have is like 20" so I'm used to the small screen experience.

I often choose my phone over my 70" TV
I definitely watch a ton more stuff on my iPad than I do on my 50” brand-new tv.