Sight & Sound "Top 11 2012"

Tools    

Seems like the year is comin' to an end.

1. The Master
2. Tabu
3. Amour
4. Holy Motors
5. Beasts of the Southern Wild
5. Berberian Sound Studio
7. Moonrise Kingdom
8. Beyond The Hills
8. Cosmopolis
8. Once Upon A Time In Anatolia
8. This Is Not a Film

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/s...11-films-2012/

Glad to see The Master at the top, even if Moonrise Kingdom is the only other film from that list I've seen.

This months issue only arrived few days ago and still in packaging so first i've seen of the list.

Not sure on The Master being #1, bit bias to PTA there maybe. Otherwise, like the list a lot. Been eagerly awaiting Berberian and Holy Motors DVD release, even more fervently now. The rest have been on radar but not must see except Beasts, which has also become more a priority.

Very happy Cosmopolis is getting love, having seen it now, too.

I'm pretty bored with Wes Anderson these days, his films are too predictable in both plot and in their presentation, so I didn't really like Moonrise Kingdom all too much. I'm going to watch Cosmopolis this week (been putting it off for some reason) and I missed out on The Master in theaters. Will see Berberian Sound Studio and Beyond the Hills (4 Months, 3 Weeks... was great) when they are released online. Even though they are technically 2011 films, This Is Not a Film is a must see due to the real life story of director Jafar Panahai and what is happening in Iran, and Once Upon a Time in Anatolia was hauntingly subdued. Holy Motors and Tabu are so far my top two from this year. Beasts of the Southern Wild was an ambitious feature debut; Amour a film by a master filmmaker maturing.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm really hanging out for Berberian Sound Studio. Have Cosmopolis, but have yet to watch it and I'm not sure about Beasts of the Southern Wild. I know that, almost, everyone loves it, but I really don't like fairy tales and, much like Slumdog, which I also didn't like, that's something everyone seems to say about this.

I haven't seen any of these yet this year for some reason. Most of them sure look good though. Can't wait. Gonna go and find some of them right now, matter of fact.

I know that, almost, everyone loves it, but I really don't like fairy tales and, much like Slumdog, which I also didn't like, that's something everyone seems to say about this.
I wouldn't compare it to Slumdog Millionaire, which I didn't like too much either. It's worthy of attention, that's for sure. I think you might like it, but you never know with you, heh.

Would you call it a fairy tale, though?
I wouldn't, but I'm having trouble categorizing it. The word is there, I just can't find it! It's poetic, a journey, a tale, maybe folk tale, an American folk tale. I don't know. Not fairy tale, though.

I wouldn't, but I'm having trouble categorizing it. The word is there, I just can't find it! It's poetic, a journey, a tale, maybe folk tale, an American folk tale. I don't know. Not fairy tale, though.
Folk tale fits, I think, and it's definitely a journey and very poetic. Give it a try, HK. I didn't like it as much as maybe I was expecting but it's a very enjoyable film.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've only seen The Master and Moonrise Kingdom and I really liked both of them.

I'm most looking forward to This is Not a Film. Jafar Panahi is an important filmmaker and I'm glad he was able to smuggle this out.

Just watched Berberian, fantastic. Settled in straight at #3 on my end of year. Holy Motors was a bit further down.

It's a shame a lot of these films are hard to get hold of right now.

Good list. I have seen: Moonrise Kingdom, Cosmopolis and Once Upon A Time In Anatolia all of whom I enjoyed immensely, Anatolia especially. I have Tabu, Holy Motors and Berberian Sound Studio on standby to watch. Probably going to watch Berberian tonight. I sadly was unable to see The Master in theatres, but I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to see both that and Amour when I can.