Any "Tape Heads" or "Spinners?" (VHS or Laserdisc Collectors?)

Tools    

Wow! Can you use a standard DVD player for these laserdiscs??
No, you'd ruin both the player and disc. The discs are probably bigger than a DVD player itself. It's literally the same size as a vinyl.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I don't necessarily go out of my way for anything but I have a modest VHS and extremely modest LD collection going. VHS is almost entirely for schlock (unless I find something that's just too weird of a find to pass up) and with LD its just slim pickings when you're not putting the work in lol.
What tapes and discs do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I follow this YouTuber for old retro-tech. He touches on niche audio/visual formats, (among other things), and get "the gears" going as to what format(s) I should be digging into next.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Techmoan

Damn... I'm looking into HD-VMD... I can't seem to find it on eBay, (both the player and any such films for it)... basically this particular dive is going to take some serious searching... It's a given I want HD-DVD's (player and films) and those are relatively "bread and butter" and easy to come by. But since HD-VMD was such a "third party" late-comer, (arriving on the market when basically the format "war" was basically over between Blu-ray and HD-DVD...) ... this is going to be difficult. But considering HD-VMD has film transfers that are so off-the-wall from what became "industry standard." (In some cases, the "raw" source material of a film was seen in it's "rawest" most "uncut" version since it was deemed my the Studio Systems as a "doomed" format to begin with...) DEFINITELY want to get my hands on this a player and some films... not to mention it's basically a piece of "film history" so I most definitely hope to get my hands on this thing.

What tapes and discs do you have if you don't mind me asking?
hopefully these pics are legible i don't want to write out a list lol.

won't let me post the last pic so i guess i am listing after all. we also have:
The Stomp
The Stunt Man
Sudden Death
Taxi Driver
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Thunder in Paradise
Thunderball
Universal Soldier
Virus
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (which is out of place for some reason)
Warbirds
When a Stranger Calls
The Wicker Man
Xanadu

The LD collection isn't really worth noting outside of Robocop and a couple other criterion releases and couple common faves like Rumble in the Bronx and Land Before Time.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220107_010814.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	84166   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220107_010844.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	84167   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220107_010923.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	84168   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220107_010951.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	84169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220107_011034.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	84170  

Not kidding here, you have a larger VHS collection than I do! And it sounds like you "may" have more Laserdiscs. As right now I'm "building my bedrock" as it were buying into unit(s) both within-region and multi-region, (which ultimately is costing me a pretty-dime and taking away for "actual" funding of films...) ... BUT, when that dust settles I'm going to "ramp-up" the actually purchasing of discs and tapes, etc. and it'll be a "thing" for sure.

Thanks for taking the time out to show me this! This is really astonishing!

yeah i've never been much of a hardware gal personally. all just random thrift store finds but they work at least. the only problem is i haven't had a television in a few years so all this stuff just collecting dust lmao.

Funnily enough I just watched this
...the sound was so bad and they didn't have English subs, so I watched it with Spanish subs, lol.
The 39 Steps is a very important piece of cinema, not only for the director Alfred Hitchcock who really “honed” and "built" his career from this film. Eventually reaching a Golden Age in the 50’s and 60’s… but also for the history of cinema itself. This was the first film to visualize the concept of the “MacGuffin,” (which basically is a “plot device” to “get the ball rolling” but ultimately the device becomes completely irrelevant by the end of the narrative piece. Modern Television's "cold opens" in SNL take a influence from this [albeit radical], or even more blatant is opening premises of shows like The Simpsons that morph into another premise entirely as the show goes on.) Also it is the singular film where Hitchcock begins to refine and come into his own in regards to suspense and visual comedy and landed him a job with producing mogul David O. Selznick in the States, prompting Hitchcock to move to America and further his career here.

Duplicate Account (locked)
The 39 Steps is a very important piece of cinema, not only for the director Alfred Hitchcock who really “honed” and "built" his career from this film. Eventually reaching a Golden Age in the 50’s and 60’s… but also for the history of cinema itself. This was the first film to visualize the concept of the “MacGuffin,” (which basically is a “plot device” to “get the ball rolling” but ultimately the device becomes completely irrelevant by the end of the narrative piece. Modern Television's "cold opens" in SNL take a influence from this [albeit radical], or even more blatant is opening premises of shows like The Simpsons that morph into another premise entirely as the show goes on.) Also it is the singular film where Hitchcock begins to refine and come into his own in regards to suspense and visual comedy and landed him a job with producing mogul David O. Selznick in the States, prompting Hitchcock to move to America and further his career here.

I don't think certain plot elements made a whole lot of sense: for example, at the beginning, spies are chasing her so that she can keep military secrets inside of the country, sounds kinda ass-backwards. It would make more sense having the spies chase her for her ends: to keep the secrets from getting out of the country.

But the logical wierdness doesn't even matter, because it was movie that kept me on the edge my seat, so far it's a
for sure. I'm definetly going to order a copy with english subtitles so I can understand all the diealogue.

I have that special edition of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, with discs.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I got rid of my epic video collection about 10 years ago and have mentioned somewhere before it was worse thing I ever done, regret it with all my being. My favourite had to be my double vhs pack of night of the living dead and return of the living dead or The Rollerboys .. damn it hurts to even think about, I’ll never mention this again.