The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen both, but none made my list...

Weird story about Magnolia, I remember I saw it back in 1999-2000 and was enjoying it quite a bit, until that "weird event" near the end. I found it so utterly absurd and unbelievable that it kinda took me away from the film at the time. It was only later that I read that those "weird events" actually occurred, so I've been meaning to rewatch it with that frame of mind since. Just have never gotten to it. I love PTA, though, so I'm sure I'll go back to this.

Metropolis I saw for the first time last year and thought it was amazing, particularly the first half. Special effects were mind-blowing and found the story mesmerizing. However, I've been meaning to rewatch it in order to get a better grasp of it, and I also have a bunch of other favorite films from the 1920s, so this one just fell through. But I'm happy to see it here represented.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I like Magnolia, think I gave it a 7.5 or 8/10.... I actually watched the 2nd tape first by accident, but later saw it at a girl's apartment after I told her about by mistake.. I still have it on VHS.

Tried twice to get through "Magnolia", failed. Highly doubt I'll try again. Haven't seen " Metropolis".
------------------------------------------------------------------------

19/25 seen
1/20 on clues (I'm done here, think point has been made...)
3/25 off list

#12 Young Frankenstein (14 pts- #77)
#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

Not sure if I've ever seen Magnolia or not but I do have it coming in the post so, God willing, I'll be able to be certain on that some time in 2021.

Very pleased to see Metropolis make the list, was #4 on my pre-1930 ballot and finished as the #1 choice of MoFos on that countdown.

Seen: 22/28 (Own: 7/28)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
72. Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut (1956)
71. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb (1964)

Metropolis is a masterpiece but I didn't include it on my list. Easily could have been on there on another day.

Magnolia I enjoyed it quite a bit when I first saw it, but remarkably I think I've only seen it once. Might try to rectify that soon.

28/28 seen.

I've tried to sit down and write something about Magnolia a few times, and I've got something half-written about it as a result that's probably been sitting in a text file for years. The short version is that on paper I should absolutely hate such a weird slow-burn of a movie, but I didn't. I was completely entranced by it. All the weird works, at least for me, and I'd simultaneously defend it to the death and probably sort of agree with any criticism someone might want to hurl at it.

Anyone who knows me on here will know how much RoboCop (1987) means to me.

The aesthetic and design of Maschinenmensch (Maria) in Metropolis, was a heavy, heavy influence on Rob Bottin's RoboCop suit, and Metropolis is one of the first science fiction movies (maybe the first?) to portray a utopian/dystopian future of industrialism and capitalism, laced with sci-fi.

Huge corporations in charge of everything, Metropolis is a 1 million acre super-city, skyscrapers reach over 1000 levels... while the general workforce live underground in filth while the rich stay rich.

Metropolis paved the way really for things like 2000AD, mainly with Judge Dredd, and for masterpieces like Blade Runner and RoboCop as well.
Movies and comics since Metropolis were obviously able to refine the ideas seen in Metropolis... because Metropolis was really the one that defined, and also birthed, the genre... but without Fritz Lang's original vision from almost 100 years ago, all sci-fi since would be a totally different thing altogether.

Metropolis was a tough one to cut tbh from my final list but extremely glad it still got a placement.
Now I've written this... I'm kinda wishing I'd kept it on my list now tbh.

So now Metropolis runs the reigns of oldest movie on here unless we get a movie that's before 1927, not sure if we will though

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Stand By Me is the first movie to show that seems out of place to me. It's okay but if I'm putting any film with Corey Feldman in a top 100 it's gonna be The Lost Boys, The Goonies or Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter.

Have seen half of Paris, Texas and will be watching it again shortly (thanks to Cricket, I think). I was enjoying it but just started watching it too late at night.

I loved Magnolia on first watch but not as much on rewatches. It's still a solid 4.5/5. PTA gets outstanding performances from everyone in his films and Magnolia is no different. I think the most underrated performance goes to Jason Robards. Having seen cancer take out three of my family members he portrayed perfectly what I saw in two of them. I actually think that's part of why I don't watch it that much.

And finally, one from my list. I had Metropolis at #19. I think it's a technical marvel and it's the only film from my list that I've seen only once. It's one of those rare movies that absolutely blew me away the first time I watched it. Frames of this movie could occupy a spot in The Louvre and I haven't seen a better looking silent film yet. Ah, to hell with it, I've only seen a handful of better looking movies ever. The amount of work that must have went into this is mindblowing: all the extras, the sets, the fx, the choreography... it's amazing.

My list:
#19 Metropolis
One Pointer - Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I've not seen Magnolia, I've like PTA films in the past so I'm sure this is a well make film.

Metropolis
, I first watched this on PBS many decades ago. At that time the movie was incomplete as a large section of the film was considered loss. Decades later I watched it on DVD and they had found more of the 'missing' film. Then very recently it was nominated in the Pre 1930s HoF where it won. That third watching was amazing, as the film had been fully restored and looked as good as the day it premiered.

Another two solid movies! make the countdown.

Putting together my list really made me reconsider what I truly think of as my "favourite movie" and I was oscillating for a while between three that I felt each made an excellent case to land in my #1 spot. It really could have gone to any of the trio but looking at PTA's sprawling masterpiece at the head of the list just felt right to me. It's hard to put into words how I feel about it, and Yoda is right when he says that many of the criticisms levied against it are hard to argue with. But for me its flaws are what make it so real, so wonderfully bewildering and so special. You all know what it's like to have a work of fiction really speak to you, hit you like a punch to the gut and for every aspect to come together in the most visceral and deeply satisfying of ways. That's what Magnolia does for me. A big to the three other MoFos who voted for it!

I don't have much more to say so I'm going to do that most pompous of things and quote myself (from 2014).

Magnolia is three hours of bliss.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see Metropolis - it's a really important film and deserving of its place here, but I didn't vote for it.

I'm going to throw out an early prediction of 14/25 from my list appearing, when all is said and done.

Skepsis' List  

Master of My Domain
I'll admit that Metropolis bored me the first time I viewed it, which was a few years ago. I absolutely want to check it out again, though. At the very least I could appreciate its technical scope and subsequent influence on the sci-fi films of today. Modern blockbusters stand on the shoulders of Fritz Lang.

Haven't seen Magnolia yet, for some reason!

Another of mine made it! Metropolis was a top 10 choice. Definitely deserved. I enjoy Magnolia but like 3-4 more PTA a good deal more

Master of My Domain
But for me its flaws are what make it so real, so wonderfully bewildering and so special.

Skepsis nailed it.

So now Metropolis runs the reigns of oldest movie on here unless we get a movie that's before 1927, not sure if we will though
I have a bunch of 1920s film that I would put above Metropolis, all of them pre-1927, but I didn't even get them on my Top 25. At this point, I doubt anyone else would, so you might be right. There's also A Trip to the Moon. A dark horse maybe? I doubt anybody had that one too.