I Need a Quick Review

→ in
Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
I believe I've seen this film before and I think I liked it but, do you think I should watch Dog Day Afternoon (d. Sidney Lumet, 1975)?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

So many good movies, so little time.
Dog day Afternoon is awesome. You have to see it. I think Pacino tends to overact in most movies but in this one his overacting is perfect. Great performance. Based on a true incident.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by Parky
Still haven't seen these films...

Wonderland
21 Grams
Monster
Mystic River

I'm going to rent one this weekend, which is the best choice?
I haven't seen Wonderland, but I've seen the other three. Of those, I'd say 21 Grams is the best.

Monster features a tour de force performance by Charlize Theron, and some great supporting work from Christina Ricci. The movie itself is okay, but just okay. You should see it sometime for the performances, though.

Mystic River was good, but not anything great. Tim Robbins is fantastic, but Sean Penn goes a bit over the top (well, more than a bit). The movie itself doesn't really break any new ground. I was about to say it's pedestrian, but that's a little harsh, I think.

21 Grams is great. This is the movie that Penn should have been nominated for. The movie is simply gut-wrenching. There are great performances by everyone, and the directing and editing are both outstanding. It is not a fun time by any stretch, but it is an emotionally powerful film, and gives you a lot to think about. Naomi Watts puts in a good turn, and Benicio Del Toro is excellent as usual. I swear, the guy is so consistantly good it get a little boring, ya know?

Have you seen House Of Sand And Fog? That's another good one.

Originally Posted by uconjack
Anyone see Ulzana's Raid (1972). Looks good and I have never seen it.

Ulzana's Raid is good. Not great, but a decent oater. Aldrich's earlier two Westerns with Lancaster are both a little better (Vera Cruz and Apache), but it's good and the politics of it are really odd and distinctive. Compared to other Westerns released in '72, it's a bit down the list in terms of quality: Jeremiah Johnson, High Plains Drifter, The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean, Bad Company, Santee and even Junior Bonner are all better films. But Ulzana is worth seeing, and it and The Longest Yard represent the last two good movies Bob Aldrich made.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by John McClane
I believe I've seen this film before and I think I liked it but, do you think I should watch Dog Day Afternoon (d. Sidney Lumet, 1975)?

And everybody should watch Dog Day Afternoon.

Originally Posted by Parky
Can anyone give me a quick review of Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake?
Yeah...

Only ever watch Romero's original, and never bother with this pointless exercise.

So many good movies, so little time.
Trio of movies on tommorrow that look interesting

Run of the Arrow
Garden of Evil
Hannie Caulder

Which one should I watch?

How about The Color of Money?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Garrett
How about The Color of Money?
Smooth in its own way, but not a patch on the far classier 'original' The Hustler.

Originally Posted by Golgot
Smooth in its own way, but not a patch on the far classier 'original' The Hustler.
Haven't seen The Hustler either, I'll put it on my list too.

Speaking of Paul Newman, is The Hudsucker Proxy worth watching?

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Garrett
Speaking of Paul Newman, is The Hudsucker Proxy worth watching?

The Hudsucker Proxy is an fun o.k. film. Is it worth watching? Sure, but its by no means great. I wouldn't say its a film you need to go and watch right now or anything, sure it's entertaining and funny, but the Coen's have done better (Fargo).

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Sure, sure. And it is great.
But Raising Arizona is better.

Although it's fun to see Tim Robbins doing Jimmy Stewart and Jennifer Jason Leigh doing Katherine Hepburn (or is it Rosalind Russell?). Anyway, Newman is a stitch, too.

(And The Hustler is awesome.)

Just watched The Color of Money. It wasn't bad, but it obviously isn't anywhere near Scorsese's best.

Who do you think won?

What do you want me to do, give away key plot points just before you watch it?

It's a well plotted faithful adaptation of James M. Cain's novel, features some dazzlingly fun double-entendre dialogue, an iconic Femme Fatale in Barbara Stanwyk, MacMurray plays convincingly against type, there's great supporting work by the wonderful Edward G. Robinson, a terrific score by Miklós Rózsa and is all under the sure-handed guidance of Billy Wilder. What else do you need to know? You asked if it is as great as it's supposed to be. I told you it is. Now just go watch it already.

PHYLLIS: I wonder if I know what you mean.
NEFF: I wonder if you wonder.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
What do you want me to do, give away key plot points just before you watch it?
Just curious as to what the film's about is all, I'll be sure to watch it. Thanks.