Worst Best Picture Oscar?

Tools    

I will only comment on the years I've seen atleast 2 of the films nominated for best picture (including the winner)

The Green Mile over American Beauty.

Saving Private Ryan over Shakespear in Love.

Good Will Hunting over Titanic.

Pulp Fiction over Forrest Gump (Although I love Forrest Gump)

Goodfellas over Dances With Wolves.

And Taxi Driver over Rocky (Love Rocky too, though)

Yeah, you can keep your two cents.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

That was brutal, even for Lime. Very noir-ish though. Bogart or Mitchum would've nailed that line.

Good Will Hunting over Titanic.

Pulp Fiction over Forrest Gump (Although I love Forrest Gump)

Goodfellas over Dances With Wolves.

And Taxi Driver over Rocky (Love Rocky too, though)
TBF to BB, though, they're right about these four.

In 2005, Crash should have been Brokeback Mountain.

They gave it to a racial movie because racial debate is an argument that America has been having for such a long time and it's a debate that America is comfortable with. Crash didn't take America out of its comfort zone.

Brokeback Mountain is about two gay cowboys leaving their wifes and children for their own relationship. America isn't comfortable with that. So they gave it to Crash

"America" doesn't vote on the awards, and I haven't seen much to suggest that Academy voters vote to please your average moviegoer, either.

I also don't really buy that it had anything to do with our "comfort zone." Crash didn't exactly flatter American racial sensibilities; I'm not sure that it being an issue we've talked about for awhile changes that much. If anything, the fact that our racial past is almost unanimously looked on with disapproval now would seem to make the topic more shameful and less comfortable for most.

If Crash had lost, and lost to anything other than Brokeback Mountain, we'd be hearing about how that was all to avoid rocking the boat or making people uncomfortable, too. I think a simpler explanation is that the vote was kind of split that year and Crash just came out on top.

Titanic is the best movie
of all time i think
i totally agree with you (:

There are those who call me...Tim.
Just saw my post on the first page. I'm rather more ambivalent towards Chicago these days.

...still shouldn't have won though

I'm a girl, btw.

But I like Chicago, but best picture? REALLY? Same with Titanic, in my opinion Boogie Nights should've won Best Picture (along with Best Supporting Actress)

Is luffy saying that Titanic is the worst winner ever or the worst because there was a much more deserving film that year? The whole thread seems to be split between these two points, with some posters putting forward 'worst winners' and some putting forward 'least deserving winners' as in there was a much better film robbed of the Oscar.

I can't agree with that. I'd say that Chicago and American Beauty are the two best Oscar winning films since 2000. That said, it's been a horrible century for me so far. Titanic is probably my fourth or fifth favourite Oscar winner of the 90's.