Thursday's Top 100 (2016)

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Requiem For a Dream (2000)

"I'm gonna be on television."

I know this is either a love it or hate it film, but I thought it was fantastic. Visually interesting, genuinely shocking, more of a horror film than many movies that claim to be. Excellent acting, especially from Ellen Burstyn. Great soundtrack too.

The Double Life of Veronique (1991)

"Why two?"

Gorgeous, hypnotic film with a slightly creepy fairy tale vibe. Two identical women (both played by Irene Jacob), one in Poland, one in France, who have never met are connected. When one dies suddenly, the other decides to change her life, and becomes involved with a mysterious puppeteer. The music is incredible and intrinsic to the film.

Honourable Mention: The Three Colours trilogy, especially Red, not on the list but also good films.

I just found this thread, nicely done too. Of the films you've have, I've seen 3...

#98 Gone With the Wind (1939) I liked what you said about it. Great film, that the young PC kids don't get.

#97 The Lion in Winter (1968) I admired the acting and the sets, but not a real favorite of mine.

#92 Romeo + Juliet (1996) I hated the Great Gatsby by the same director. I did see Romeo + Juliet 20 years ago so not sure how I would feel now, but at the time I did like it as it captured the spirit of young love.

Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) (1994)

"I'd give my life to be dead."

I watched this when it was nominated for a tournament here on movieforums. I knew I was going to like it pretty much straight away. Something about the very nineties look of it appealed to me. Rupert Everett plays a cemetery grounds keeper who fights zombies. Sometimes naked. Comedy horror and zombies are my kind of horror. This film is frequently disgusting and towards the end it gets increasingly dark and deranged but the off-beat charm of the whole thing carries it through to the brilliantly surreal ending.

Bronson (2008)

A bravura piece of filmmaking from Nicholas Winding Refn. It doesn’t, as some detractors claim, glorify ‘Britain’s most violent prisoner’. That title, along with the name Charles Bronson, is one the disturbed man claims for himself as one of his flights of celebrity fantasy. In his mind he’s some kind of ultra-violent superstar, but in reality he’s languishing alone behind bars. Tom Hardy gives an excellent performance (probably his best after Stuart: A Life Backwards). The soundtrack is well chosen and visually it’s astonishing.

Life of Brian (1979)

“Always look on the bright side of life.”

So Monty Python and the Holy Grail may be strictly speaking the funniest Python film, but this one is more coherent as a film with more of a blend of the silly and satirical. Controversial when it was released, this is the story of Brian, who lives around the same time as Jesus and sometimes gets mistaken for the Messiah. I find the jokes about the People's Front of Judea and their pointless in-fighting particularly spot-on.

Memorable quotes: “He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! Now, piss off!”

#92 Romeo + Juliet (1996) I hated the Great Gatsby by the same director. I did see Romeo + Juliet 20 years ago so not sure how I would feel now, but at the time I did like it as it captured the spirit of young love.
I didn't much like The Great Gatsby either. I didn't feel like the over the top style with anachronistic songs suited that particular story so much I loved Luhrmann's first three films, the 'red curtain trilogy', but Australia and The Great Gatsby have missed the mark, for me.

I think both Requiem and Bronson are excellent films. and how can anyone dislike The Life of Brian? I must try and watch Veronique again as I never finished it.

Rep for Bronson. The only other one I've seen is Requiem, which I wasn't a fan of.

I'm not that big a fan of Bronson but i thought Hardy was fantastic. Life of Brian is good. i prefer The Holy Grail. Of the others i'm most interested in seeing The Double Life of Veronique since i loved the colours trilogy especially Red like you.

Master of My Domain
Requiem for a Dream and The Double Life of Veronique are amazing.

Even though I'm a Christian, I absolutely love Life of Brian, because it's mocking the misconceptions about the religion people had at that time (and still do), and not Christianity itself. Monty Python's humor style always hits and never misses; during my first viewing I couldn't get a glass of water because I was laughing too hard at some scenes. Also, greatest ending to a film ever?

P.S. - I really like Luhrmann's Great Gatsby, but I guess I'm in the minority there.
Yes you are.

Of the others i'm most interested in seeing The Double Life of Veronique since i loved the colours trilogy especially Red like you.
If you liked Red, you'll probably like Veronique. There's a lot of red in it. And a bit of green.

Also, somebody here must have seen Cemetery Man. Someone nominated it for that tournament.