Lynchian's film picks of 2k15

Tools    

With the Oscars upon us and having been able to see just about everything I have wanted to see before making this list, it's about time I get it going. As I'm terrible at ranking films, these will be in no order, save for some which will get 'Special Notice'. Now, I don't consider ALL of the following films listed to be the GREATEST of last year, but ones I still believe should be seen for one reason or the other. Whether you like them or not, they have some artistic merit.

Enjoy!
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

With the Oscars upon us and having been able to see just about everything I have wanted to see before making this list, it's about time I get it going. As I'm terrible at ranking films, these will be in no order, save for some which will get 'Special Notice'. Now, I don't consider ALL of the following films listed to be the GREATEST of last year, but ones I still believe should be seen for one reason or the other. Whether you like them or not, they have some artistic merit.

Enjoy!
I really must apologize, everyone. I really have been meaning to update this, but I just have to be upfront about something. Due to some certain mental disabilities it's really hard for me to write things out sometimes. To get my ideas organized, to be able to formulate a sentence, or to get over the fact that I think everything I write looks terrible, so I end up writing and deleting, over and over.

To get to the point, I'm letting you all know this because the following thread may be all over the place and not very organized. They are in no order, and I will also be choosing films that I found to be the worst, or films that deserve to been even if I may have not liked it myself, favorite performances, direction, etc. So a mess, basically. I probably don't even need to be writing this at all, but whatever.

Anyway, let's get this going!

**Top 20 Pick***

American Ultra left theaters as quickly as it arrived, making not much of an impression at the box office, and received mostly mixed to negative reception from critics to audiences alike. Advertised as a mainstream stoner comedy/Jason Bourne action hybrid, mainstream audiences expecting some dumb, half-baked, fun at the movies were in for something completely different. But in this age of big studio Hollywood, crammed with Marvel/DC comic adaptations coming out at a clip rate (hell, we’re barely even into 2016 and we’ve already got a Marvel production opening today) ‘something completely different’ is absolutely welcome and encouraged. Yes, there is plenty of ganja smoked by the characters, but director Nina Nourizadeh and writer Mike Landis have more on their minds than predictable stoner humor, in fact the last thing the film is is predictable. The script is filled with genuine moments of suspense and some truly unexpected twists and turns. It’s indulgent, for sure, but I mean that in the best sense of the word. Thrilling action sequences, brutal fights (an extended rampage through a home & garden store is truly exhilarating), bolstered by Nourizadeh’s full blown energy and unique style, you are rarely given the chance to settle before some wild set piece gets the adrenaline flowing again. However, the main attribute, and what raises the film to a different level, is that despite the graphic violence, marijuana, and explosions, the films biggest draw is it’s heartfelt romance at the center. Jessie Eisenberg and Kristin Stewart (in one of her best performances) have such great, natural, chemistry that it’s hard to believe they aren’t a real couple outside of the characters they are playing. It is their story and relationship that keeps the film centered even when the chaos continues to escalate. American Ultra is proof that, despite the Hollywood machine turning it’s head away from taking chances on fresh or unconventional films, occasionally one slips through. Let the haters hate, this is one of the most original american films of 2015. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
For a moment I thought Lynch himself compiled a list of his favorites from 2015.

For a moment I thought Lynch himself compiled a list of his favorites from 2015.
I can still fix us a dish of quinoa if you bring the rabbit suits. We don't have to let this dream die.

**TOP 5 PICK**

We’ve come a long way since Alfred Hitchcock’s revolutionary ROPE, a feature length film presented as a single unbroken take. Of course back then they didn’t have the technology we have now— hell you could walk around with your iPhone for 10 minutes with a basic idea and make a ‘single take’ short film with enough creativity and some planning. This is not to say that every film done in this style will pay off. To say that it would be daunting is definitely a huge understatement, and unless you have Emmanuel Lubezki, Robert Elswit, or Benoit Debie (to name a few) guiding your camera you better know what you’re doing. Birdman achieved it’s near seamless illusion masterfully, and yet a little known film called PVC-1 attempted to pull it off and was shocking in how dull and unimpressive it was. VICTORIA is the latest film to take on the single take approach to filmmaking, and not through any clever cuts or camera trickery, it’s the real deal. 2 hours and 15 minutes, not a single cut. I was surprised to read that it only took a mere 3 takes to pull this one off, as the camera follows the characters from a club, through tunnels, to rooftops, into various cars, and so on. The film has much more to offer beyond its technical virtuosity. The recipient of 7 Lola Awards (or, the German Oscars) for which it won 6 for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Music, Best Actor, and Best Actress, and deserving of every one of them. Director Sebastian Scheper and his team immerse the viewer so deeply, starting off the story slow, we get to know these characters like our Victoria (the truly incredible Laia Costa), we’re weary of the group of potential friends she makes initially, but over time we warm up to them just as she does. We know the decisions being made are foolish, but through the dialogue and flawless acting, we can at least understand. I won’t go into much detail about the films actual story, as the less you know the greater the experience. But for those viewers who may find their interest flagging or patience being tested in the first 45 minutes or so, trust me, stick with it. Because as soon as the film takes off, it doesn’t let you off the hook for a second, reaching breathless heights of intensity and a sequence of such raw emotion that is probably among the most unforgettable ever put to film. As both a cathartic emotional journey, an exhilarating thriller, and a powerful character study, VICTORIA is a cinematic experience not to be missed.

For me, "Victoria" is only second to "Mad Max: Fury Road" in 2015. Loved it, even if at the beginning it is tempting to switch the movie off.

45 YEARS
***TOP 5***

Director Andrew Haigh made his best feature to date with 45 Years. Beautifully crafted and featuring two of last years very best performances (Rampling deserved her Oscar nod, and I'm so proud they acknowledged her), 45 Years takes on its themes with grace and subtlety, even adding on some potentially supernatural elements, proving that the past-- especially that of past loves-- may always come back to haunt us in more ways than one. Yet at the same time, it is possible to have love for the person you end up with in life, even if you still have feelings for those in the past. A remarkable film that is practically perfect in everyway.

IT FOLLOWS

More often than not ridiculous hype can undo a film upon release. Such was the case with IT FOLLOWS, a film that came to theaters riding a train of overwhelming buzz. Hearing that it was absolutely terrifying, frightening, disturbing stuff that would leave you paranoid and jumping at every noise as you sat in your bed at night. On top of that was the 97% tomatometer score over at rottentomatoes. So it goes to say I went into it with high hopes, finally a great horror film, finally some good scares, for my horror loving self. Initially I was greatly disappointed, which was inevitable I guess. I walked out appreciating/loving the cinematography, the atmosphere, and the damn great score by disasterpiece. Otherwise, it never once got under my skin, or even “Scared” me, while the story itself left something to be desired. But having returned to it more than once I have really grown to like, perhaps even love, IT FOLLOWS. Less as a horror film, and more as a metaphor for the loss of innocence, the jarring transition from carefree youth to the impending doom of adulthood that we can never outrun, among other things. The paranoid atmosphere is indeed creepy, and there is a sense of melancholy and paranoia that permeates every scene, as well as some unforgettable images. David Robert Mitchell has made an invaluable contribution to the genre, and I look forward to whatever he does next. It’s no wonder so many younger teens who saw this hated it, but I expect over time, if they happen to catch it in their adult hood, they’ll see the deeper themes going under the gorgeous surface and realize just how effective IT FOLLOWS ultimately is. If initially I’d have given this film a 2.5 out of 4, I now give it a solid 3, on the edge of 3.5. But again, ratings are arbitrary, this is a solid film and has definitely ended up as one of last years most striking and original. At once a throwback to vintage horror but transcending basic homage and rising to something wholly original in itself. Such delicious atmosphere! Now grab your stilettos and get to the shore!

3 QUICKIES

Krampus

Michael Dougherty follows up his last Holiday staple (Trick'R'Treat) with yet another holiday themed film that will definitely be required viewing every christmas season. Not being a fan of Christmas the holiday, Krampus replaces the syrup with frostbite. This is just such a damn fun film, Krampus' evil helpers-- done with refreshing reliance on puppetry and practical effects-- are devilishly fun. Add to that a beautifully animated flashback sequence, an imaginatively dark twist on familiar christmas tunes, and a general sense of unpredictability and creativity, and you've got a Holiday classic for people who hate the holidays. Especially if you are a fan of Gremlins and Small Soldiers. Kudos to the ending that welcomes interpretation.

Tom At The Farm

Xavier Dolan's dark, brooding, and dangerously sexy screen adaptation of the play, Tom At The Farm shows Dolan continuing to mature and grow as both a director and actor. Stepping into new territory, that of a suspense thriller, Dolan slowly builds and the tension and dread. The tension is quiet yet simmering, and soon it comes to a boil, recalling Hitchcock at times but with a more blatant focus on the homosexual themes. Farm may not reach the heights of Dolan's greatest work (the masterpiece Mommy, and the lengthy but rewarding and visionary Laurence Anyways) he's still remains among the most exciting and distinctive filmmakers working today. And we're the same damn age, ugh.

Faults

Mary Elisabeth Winstead and Leland Orser's magnificent performances drive FAULTS, which is still otherwise solid. A part pitch-black comedy, but even more a sinister and frequently surprising psychological thriller. The film keeps you questioning and guessing and trying to figure it all out, and 90% of this takes place in a single hotel room. Proving that you don't need a huge budget or a lot of onscreen action, just captivating dialogue and actors who know how to own their roles making for an exciting experience. Sometimes a very unsettling and suspenseful one. Faults was released very early in the year, and didn't get the recognition it deserved, but definitely make sure to check this one out.

And were back to the slowest thread ever, like I said I can be inconsistent thanks to my unreliable brain.

Here's some more for you.

Here are two films that fall into the 'personally didn't like it, but they are still worth seeing for discussion or ambition.'

THE TRIBE

A film I admire for it's originality and ambitions for sure. There is no dialogue-- all communication is expressed through sign language, punctuated violence, and sex-- there are also no subtitles (intentionally). It's a very novel concept and a daring attempt of a cinematic experience that's not quite like anything else. In a sense it's a fresh modern take on old silent films. Unfortunately, as well-crafted though it is, The Tribe is somehow an artistic misfire. The pacing is slow, and while I have the patience for slowly paced cinema, I would at least like to have some rewards for my patience along the way. There are very few here, and it's a grim slog to a finale that failed to impact despite the "shocking" acts on screen. Depressing and far too chilly to be able to embrace, the film is still worth checking out, polarizing though it is. Just get ready to feel like as cold as the characters portrayed.

Gaspar Noe's LOVE

Oh Gaspar, you jerk. One of the single most self-indulgent film makers working today, and I mean to a shameless degree. I'm actually quite a fan of his past works; Enter The Void is an absolutely essential cinematic experience and possibly a masterpiece. Irreversible, despite its explicit depictions of violence and that awful extended rape sequence, still remains a challenging, uncompromising, and certainly unforgettable (even if you may want to, though I found the extreme sequences necessary, as sexual violence is something that unfortunately affects humans every day, myself included. Yet many accuse it of being exploitative trash, which I don't really blame them for thinking that way. But I digress. He's always been an indulgent director, but I've been able to excuse it in the past, LOVE is the first time I just simply couldn't ignore it. Noe has expressed he is not homophobic, then I ask why must he include horrid depictions of homosexuals in everyone of his films? Here there is even a line during one of several of our "protagonist's" internal monologue where he flat out expresses 'I hope he doesn't turn out gay.' Really Gaspar? But beyond that nitpick, LOVE starts out well enough, the unsimulated sex is actually used in necessary, and even emotionally resonant, ways. But the more the film progresses, the further Noe places his head up his own ass. Retreading into territory he's done already, and the sex just becomes dull after a while. Thank the cinematic gods for cinematographer Benoit Debie then, as this is but one of two mediocre films that are made consistently watchable thanks to his incredible mastery of his craft. Unfortunately, Debie's visuals and the expert use of music and sound design are the only things LOVE has going for it. Though I may revisit it someday to give it another chance, for now it's simply a slip up on Noe's part, but I trust he'll make up for it with whatever he does next. Let's just hope he digs a little deeper and starts expanding his horizons a bit.

LOST RIVER
Many actors have been able to pull off the tradition of transitioning from their main profession to that of a writer/director. Clint Eastwood, Todd Field, Tim Blake Nelson (yes, I'm a fan of 'O'), Thomas Mccarthy, Mel Gibson, George Clooney, even Ben Affleck turned out to be competent behind the camera. But for every one that got it right, it's the ones who don't that stand out the most. In the case of LOST RIVER, it's now Ryan Gosling's turn. LOST RIVER is something of an enigma to me, it's certainly watchable (once again, thank you Benoit Debie) but Gosling has no distinctive qualities of his own as an 'auteur' as hard as he tries. This feels more like a collaboration of greater directors works, mainly Terence Malick, David Lynch, Nicolas Winding Refn, and even Harmony Korine or early David Gordon Green. All great directors in their own right, but this feels almost like flat out plagiarism which is ultimately its undoing. Well, that, and the ridiculously absurd script which throws in everything including the kitchen sink... that's spray painted in fluorescent neon colors because 'art'. Yet in spite of itself it's oddly fascinating, occasionally it works, especially every sequence involving Saoirse Ronan. But this is a case of all style and very little actual substance. If Gosling is ever to make another film, let's hope he finds his own personal vision, instead of emulating the artists who inspired him. Still, that cinematography though.

Lily Tomlin has always had the impeccable ability to be both hilarious and heart achingly true. An iconic comedienne, but it has been her more dramatic work- usually in supporting or ensemble roles- that have always got my full attention. Rarely has she been given the opportunity, or handed a central performance front and center, as she has in GRANDMA; a bittersweet slice-of-life/dramedy that is the perfect showcase for this brilliant woman's talents. The story of a grandmother trying to raise enough money in the day to pay for her granddaughters abortion may not sound like a happy trip, but it's the perfect territory for which Tomlin can really show her range and power as an actress. The film itself is at once bitterly hilarious and unsuspectingly heartbreaking, but it doesn't dwell in the negative. Instead it seems to reflect Tomlin's career spanning outlook-- this is life, you laugh, you cry, and you deal with it, and you move on. Kudos goes to a colorful supporting cast, especially that of Marcia Gay Harden, Sam Shepard, and Laverne Cox. Conservative viewers stay far away, but for the rest of us this is a nice little trip worth taking.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Is anyone even reading this? Debating if I should go on. I'm so disorganized.

I've been reading this thread, but I'm not really up to date on most of the more recent movies, so I haven't even heard of most of these movies.

The only one I've seen so far is 45 Years, and I agree with every word you wrote.

I've been reading this thread, but I'm not really up to date on most of the more recent movies, so I haven't even heard of most of these movies.

The only one I've seen so far is 45 Years, and I agree with every word you wrote.
Thanks for the encouragement!

And yes 45 Years is practically flawless.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thanks for the encouragement!

And yes 45 Years is practically flawless.

I watched most of the movies that were nominated for the major Academy Awards, and IMO, 45 Years was one of the best of the Oscar-nominated movies. I know it wasn't nominated for Best Picture, but it was much better than The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The Big Short, which IMO shouldn't even have been nominated.