Which is the Best Batman Movie so Far & Why?

Tools    

I'm a big fan of Batman, but not necessarily all of the Batman movies. My favorite is 1989's 'Batman' starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

My least Favorite is Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin...so many ice puns.

The Dark Knight (2008)

Batman Returns.

I'm not a Batman fan, though the proper Batman of the 60's is great. That being the case, I guess Batman & Robin should be one of my favourites, but I think Batman Returns has that fun, while still being dark.

Batman Returns.

I'm not a Batman fan, though the proper Batman of the 60's is great. That being the case, I guess Batman & Robin should be one of my favourites, but I think Batman Begins has that fun, while still being dark.

The Dark Knight is definitely the best film, but it's not really about Batman. A district attorney struggles against the mob in a generic city that happens to have a bat vigilante. Batman Begins was more directly about Batman, and it's the only one I've seen so far where Gotham City had a distinct feel. 1989 Batman is fun but there's no depth to it (there are only 2 characters who have more than about ten lines of dialogue), Batman Returns had no idea how to balance its tone.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
1989. It's the closest thing to the spirit of comics. Nolan's movies may technically be superior, but they lack the magic and charisma of Burton's first swing at it.

The Dark Knight is my favourite. 1989 and Batman Begins would come next with Dark Knight Rises as a distant fourth. I've never been able to get into Batman Returns and i'm not sure why i even rewatched it not long ago but nah same reaction. Even though its a much worse movie i prefer Batman Forever to it, Jones and Carrey are probably the main reason there, Batman and Robin was too much though i agree it is the worst and not in a so bad its good way for me at least.

Also i haven't seen the movie and i love the tv show, but HK calling the campy 60s version the proper Batman is the funniest thing ever

This post was originally about how I hated TDK or whatever and how I liked Batman Begins more, but

Derek Vinyard

proved me wrong so yeah this post is a waste of space now.

Batman Begins. I find The Dark Knight hopelessly overrrated, mainly due to it being Heath Ledger's last full film appearance.

I mean yeah The Joker from TDK was cool and all, and a damn good performance, but that doesn't make the rest of the movie very good.

Now to await shocked reactions.

I like the Nolan films as the first real serious treatment of Batman.
But you're right about TDK. Someone else said it's a good movie, but it's not really a Batman movie. It was good, but there was something uncomfortable about it - I don't mean the Joker's plots or Harvey Dent's face, but that it just seemed so crammed with sub-plots & characters, and moved at such a rapid pace that it became hard to follow at times.

It's supposed to be the proverbial "roller coaster ride," but it felt more like when you're driving and your late for work and traffic is moving and you're driving fast and everyone around you is driving fast, but you're still going to be late and people will be angry and then there are construction signs ahead and you keep speeding up, but no matter how fast you go your stress keeps increasing.

Because it dances with the devil in the pale moonlight.

''You wanna know how I got these scars? My father, was a drinker, and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me and says, "Why so serious?" Comes at me with the knife. "WHY SO SERIOUS?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face." And... Why so serious?''

- Heath Ledger (The Joker) in The Dark Knight

enough said

''You wanna know how I got these scars? My father, was a drinker, and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me and says, "Why so serious?" Comes at me with the knife. "WHY SO SERIOUS?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face." And... Why so serious?''

- Heath Ledger (The Joker) in The Dark Knight

enough said
crap you're right

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I agree with people thinking Ledger is better, cuz opinions. But... if we are talking quotable lines, Nicholson wins hands down.

CRS is an issue that I have dealt with my entire life. Dealing with this affliction, I can still peel off multiple lines that Jack delivered. Ledger's Joker boils down to "how'd I get these scars" and "why so serious". The latter probably because it was on every shirt and meme after it came out.

Ledger's Joker had better philosophy and better, morally challenging tricks. His tricks were more personal whereas Nicholson's were more political. Even though Nicholson's Joker had many great lines, they didn't blend in the movie so well compared to Ledger's lines. In "The Dark Knight" we see clash of two philosophies: "unstoppable force" vs. "immovable object". "Batman" (1989) is superhero flick at heart.