My Favorite Films of 2013

Tools    

Hello all,

new here so I thought I'd introduce myself by listing my favorite movies and honorable mentions (plus worst picks) of last year, just to give you a hint at what my taste is like.

Enjoy!

And hello everyone!

Edit: films will be out of order.

One of my very favorite films of last year, if not of all time now. Blue is an intense, raw, incredibly acted 3 hour opus of one relationship and the evolution of one woman named Adele. It may be indulgent at times, and sure the sex scenes may be gratuitous, albeit arguably so. But they will be the last thing you remember after having seen the film. It truly brings the themes of coming-of-age and romance to a new level. Beautifully filmed and with perfect use of color, which adds as subtle symbolism instead of being obvious. Blue Is The Warmest Color is a fearless and passionate near-masterpiece.

I give this film a perfect score of 4 out of 4, despite some of its flaws.

ONCE AGAIN... sorry for my lack of posts. Due to a suicide attempt, 5 day hospital recovery, 4 days in a psych ward, and then one month in a sober living house. I'm finally back to my apt. So I will be posting frequently now.

I PROMISE THIS TIME! please don't hate me.

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

If ever there was a year for the Oscars to give out 2 Best Actor trophies in one year, it was last year. As remarkable as Matthew was in Dallas Buyers Club, Leo Dicaprio completely delivered one his greatest achievements as an actor with an already impressive resume as Jordan Belfrant, a man of wealth and power, not to mention one of many vices (pills, ludes, uppers, downers, coke, booze, sex, sex, sex, more drugs, hookers, more booze, orgies, and he could care less.) One of Scorsese's late career masterpieces, The Wolf of Wall Street is as addicting as the substances abused throughout it's 3 hour runtime which really flies by. It's wildly entertaining, filled with so much debauchery, downright hilarious moments, and a game cast including Jonah Hill, the delicious find in Margot Robbie (who is more than a pretty face), Jean DuJardin, and even Dawn French in a small but memorable role. It's not for anyone with a conservative bone in its body. But when it comes to Scorsese's punchy, flashy, direction, and the inevitable downfall, including a Lemons trip, a yacht disaster, and then full on dark territory without ever losing its footing. Wolf is an instant classic and modern masterpiece of excess that only Scorsese and Dicaprio could have pulled off. I ****in' loved this movie. (and so did my mom! )

ONCE AGAIN... sorry for my lack of posts. Due to a suicide attempt, 5 day hospital recovery, 4 days in a psych ward, and then one month in a sober living house. I'm finally back to my apt. So I will be posting frequently now.

I PROMISE THIS TIME! please don't hate me.
You could've at least finished the list before you tried to kill yourself. C'mon, dude, get your priorities in order!

You could've at least finished the list before you tried to kill yourself. C'mon, dude, get your priorities in order!
Hah.

But they are, I've never felt better. I'm going to sobriety meetings weekly, seeing a psychiatrist, on new medications which are actually helping (and not abusing the xanax like i used to.) Getting out of bed every morning and getting out of the house. I haven't spent one day in the house for the past two weeks. I reaffirm myself daily. I rescued a kitten.

I'm doing great!

Thought I'd let everyone know that I have been sober for at least 2 months now.

Okay, seriously. I need to finish this thread.

Love to all.
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

█ █ █ █ █
I realy hope you remain that way, and keep strong.

-

And as for my 2013 top ones list:

1 - Blue is the warmest colour

2 - Disconnect

3 - Only god forgives

4 - L'Inconnu du lac

5 - Byzantium

6 - Pacific rim

7 - Mama

8 - Prisoners

9 - Side effects

10 - Gravity

Top worst movie of 2013: Evil dead (remake)

Only a couple more posts until I can post pictures and get this going again. I don't know why they let me with the Blue Is The Warmest color one.

As for the above list, 6 of those will be on there or be honorable mentions.

Let the night air cool you off
Go to the games and tabs section and just post in the word association and other game threads. It's a good way to get some cheap posts so you can post pictures.

No second thought after Wolf of the Wall Street

I realy hope you remain that way, and keep strong.

-

And as for my 2013 top ones list:

1 - Blue is the warmest colour

2 - Disconnect

3 - Only god forgives

4 - L'Inconnu du lac

5 - Byzantium

6 - Pacific rim

7 - Mama

8 - Prisoners

9 - Side effects

10 - Gravity

Top worst movie of 2013: Evil dead (remake)
Top worst movie of 2013: Evil dead (remake) Someone actually saying same, what I feel personally . .

BLUE JASMINE

"There's only so many traumas a person can withstand before they run to the streets and start screaming", and thus we have Blue Jasmine, Woody Allen's freshest and best film of his late career (right up there with Vicky Cristina Barcelona). It also happens to have one legendary performance that will be lauded for years to come in Cate Blanchett's incredible, for lack of a better word, performance as Jasmine (though her real name is Jeanette.) She is compulsively watchable and really owns the film. She deserved every award bestowed upon her, with only Adele Exarchopoulos' equally impressive turn in Blue Is The Warmest Color being her equal. As the plot unfolds through brilliant editing of Jasmine's previous life as an upperclass housewife to a wealthy husband (a solid Alec Baldwin) to her present life as she tries to get herself together after a huge meltdown. Living with her sister (played wonderfully by Sally Hawkins) and constantly popping Xanax and chasing it with Stoli martinis with a twist of lemon, it's obvious she's still completely unstable as she goes into rants of embarrassing past events ("I SAW YOU ERICA!") Even as she is so self-absorbed and completely oblivious to her surroundings, only that she hates her Sister's boyfriend, and pretty much everyone she comes in contact with. She's not a nice person, to say the least, but Blanchett's next-level acting is so addicting and flawless that you can't take your eyes off of her. She's all consuming. Definitely in the top 5 of my favorite films of 2013. Blue Jasmine never fails to entertain, and shows how one ends up as that crazy person talking to themselves on a bench that we've all seen at some point in our lives. Simply brilliant, with great acting all around, the supporting players are all strong, other than the aforementioned Hawkins, Peter Saarsgard, Bobby Cannavelle, Louis C.K., and especially, of all people, Andrew Dice Clay, round out the cast. As mentioned, this is a new classic in Woody Allen's cannon, and if he were to die tomorrow, it would be the perfect final film from one of the most prolific directors out there. Fortunately, he hasn't, and it seems he's back on track.

I thought there were way worse films than Evil Dead, which I liked. I'd say DIANA, MOVIE 43, MY AMITYVILLE HORROR, AFTERSHOCK, ADORE, ANCHORMAN 2, OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, and OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN are far worse than anything in Evil Dead.

ONLY GOD FORGIVES

It should be noted that while this is my favorite films list, ONLY GOD FORGIVES was not necessarily one of my favorites of last year. However, it's a challenging and strange film that demands to be seen whether you love it or hate it. I don't really know what to make of it. Following up his masterful film DRIVE, Nicolas Winding Refn returns with something so far away from the mainstream that it simply takes place in some alternative reality. Working once again with Ryan Gosling, in what could be called a non-performance, not even a subtle one, there' just nothing there. ONLY GOD FORGIVES is a confronting film in it's graphic depictions of violence, bizarre sexuality, odd dialogue, and depravity. All of these aspects floating in a strange and strikingly visual goo. The pure surreality of the whole thing, from the music, to the visuals, feels like something out of a David Lynch film (though the director thanks Jordorowsky) albeit never comes close to that master film-maker. ONLY GOD FORGIVES one crowning achievement, however, is without a doubt Kristen Scott Thomas in one of her best performances. She's hilariously vicious and a total bitch, and she steals every scene she's in. With long blond hair, and looking like some real housewife from hell, her acidic tongue cuts down to the bone. If only the film had been better received, she may have had an Oscar nom on her hand. Ultimately, though, ONLY GOD FORGIVES is quite the divisive film, but one that, in multiple viewings, makes it's rhythms, symbolism, and bizarreness more clear. Not for everyone's taste, but still unforgettable. It definitely deserves at least one viewing.