Top 10 American Directors?

Tools    

No, before the 60s, movies in America were generally not produced for any specific audience, but then Hollywood realized that male teenagers were a very key demographic, and they tried and are trying very hard to capture that specific audience. I don't think my grandmother cared much for any of those movies you mentioned, I didn't either.

I think you are the exception.I do think those movies were targeted towards all audiences.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
So there were 100 million male teenagers in the US in 1997 when Titanic came out. When I watched Titanic at the theater with my family there were no teenagers: two kids and my parents.

Titanic is obviously a movie not made for male teenagers.
Not made for male teenagers, or made for them and others. That's usually how it works.

I was referencing a quote from Cameron that I think is a total mess. He said that 3D was the only way for movies because we perceive the world in 3D. I guess this explains why nobody paints anymore, that flat stuff is nothing compared to sculptures. While I don't think he's ever been a great filmmaker, he has fallen victim to an unfortunate case of unlimited resources which causes his films to lack any sort of ingenuity.
I don't think unlimited resources make his films bad but that the fact that he does movies that cost 500 million dollars in production and marketing means that his movies have to be dumbed down to a very high degree to achieve broad demographic and international appeal as to make more than 1 billion in box office, as required by accounting for his films to turn out a profit.

Not made for male teenagers, or made for them and others. That's usually how it works.
That depends on the movie. The biggest blockbusters are not specifically made for a single demographic but try to hit all demographics, well, that's their nature.

I think you are the exception.I do think those movies were targeted towards all audiences.
Where's all of the statistics for this one Guap? I don't care if I'm the exception, might makes right is it (this statement getting back to the original comments you brought)?

The biggest blockbusters are not specifically made for a single demographic but try to hit all demographics, well, that's their nature.
Agree

I don't think unlimited resources make his films bad but that the fact that he does movies that cost 500 million dollars in production and marketing means that his movies have to be dumbed down to a very high degree to achieve broad demographic and international appeal as to make more than 1 billion in box office, as required by accounting for his films to turn out a profit.
True.Avatar had a budget of 250 million and spent 150 million on marketing.It needed an insane money to break even.

I'm a fan of creative constraints, it adds intelligence and ingenuity. Cameron's movies got too many moving parts with his vast amounts of resources and the components of making a good film got lost somewhere in the components of making a pretty (for the moment) tree.

Well to me Cameron knows how to use great FX which are amazing compared to Star Wars

but, between us even Avatar, the storyline is fat to be as good as the FX effects....

GENTLEMEN: the two best directors are Stanley Kubrick and MARTIN SCORSESE .

See my TOP 10 Best Directors ranking:
http://topbestcinema.com/best-directors/

... in no particular order, I just wrote who came to mind ...

John Ford, Howard Hawks, John Huston, Steven Spielberg, Clint Eastwood, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Stanley Kubrick, Arthur Penn, Mike Nichols (although he was born in Germany)

But scanning some other replies, one would be hard-pressed to look past D.W. Griffith and Orson Welles.

Thus I will now say ...

John Ford, Howard Hawks, John Huston, Steven Spielberg, Clint Eastwood, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Stanley Kubrick, D.W. Griffith, Orson Welles

1. John Ford
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Stanley Kubrick
4. Billy Wilder
5. Howard Hawks
6. Steven Spielberg
7. Francis Ford Coppola
8. Charlie Chaplin

After that I struggle between :
  • Martin Scorsese
  • Orson Welles
  • The Coen Brothers
  • Woody Allen
  • Frank Capra
  • William Wyler
  • Michael Curtiz
  • Robert Altman
  • Ernst Lubitsch
How are you defining "American"? Do you mean "American" or "Hollywood"? For strictly speaking, some of your choices aren't necessarily "American," having come of age (both in life and as filmmakers) in other countries and other nations' film industries.