Top 10 Documentaries?

Tools    

one I was really impressed by was "Ghosts of Rwanda". I saw it after Hotel Rwanda and the saddest moment was when I realized that it really happened. Others that were fascinating:

> THE REAL FOOTBALL FACTORIES INTERNATIONAL ('07)
> 9/11 ('02)
> BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE
> SUPER SIZE ME ('04)
> THE LAST WALTZ
> BIGGIE & TUPAC: THE STORY BEHIND THE MURDER OF RAP'S
BIGGEST SUPERSTAR ('02)
> OBSSESION: RADICAL ISLAM'S WAR AGAINST THE WEST ('07)

I really want to see this new documentary about the planet called "Earth".

I haven't seen all that many, but of the few I've seen, these are my fave:

10. Crumb
An eccentric cartoonist who takes the idea of artistic integrity to it's most purest/extremist definition. Watching this guy talk about how he practically discovered his sexuality by riding his aunt's leg as a child, one can easily come to the conclusion of just how "weird" Crumb is. And yet, once you "meet" his family, it's he who comes off as the most normal one of the bunch.

9. Grizzly Man
While we're on the subject of taking things to the extreme, this film follows a man's journey into the world of the grizzly bear.
Or as some may say, his journey into the gullet of the grizzly bear.
Now don't quote me on this,
but I heard that there's a rumour that this guy's remains were fined a citation by park officials.
For breaking the forest rule that states "Do not feed the bears".

8. Fahrenheit 9/11
Since I hate self-limiting & mind-narrowing labels like "conservative" & "Liberal", I refrain from letting too many people I know I watched this or any of Michael Moore's films (only those few people who really know me & are aware that I dislike participating in bullsh#t-slinging debates). Because, political partisanships aside, this is a good watch just for the sake of watching a good documentary unfold, done by an excellent film-maker.

7. Hoop Dreams
A quality documentary that follows the detailed ups & downs that can come from trying to move up in the world of basketball. Here, the process is captured by following the real lives of two promising high school players as they try to reach for the promise that their favorite sport can potentially offer.

6. Brother's Keeper
A community from Smalltown U.S.A comes together for one of their own.
Well....
one of their own that came "outta the the abandoned basement of society", which we have all seem to deny exists. Until, that is, the media comes arunnin' to shine it's light of "subjective truth" upon it.
A story that starts out macabrely weird & ends up macabrely moving.

5. Jesus Camp
Back when I was a kid, I was sent to a Jesus camp for one summer.
I even earned a badge for being able to whistle thru my stigmatas.

4. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
With events like rented military helicoptors being called off during a scene of Apocalypse Now, so they can go engage in an actual combat for an actual war that was going on at the time & then Martin Sheen having a heart attack between shooting scenes, all happening during the filming of this movie, the true story of how this flick was made is almost as surreal & engaging as the actual movie itself.

3. Streetwise
An emotionally wrenching ending, because it's real life & not a script. This film focuses those who are easily forgotten & brings to the surface their reality & all the drama & emotion that the world of escapism entertainment can never really compare to.

2. 42 & Up
Taking the film segments of the various people chosen for this project as children & watching 'em up against the segments of them as adults, it's almost spooky on it's perspective & can beg the question, at what point in life do humans lose the expressionisms of freespiritness that naturally comes with being a child & become the more restrained walking representive of a crushed spirit that many adults can easily end up as?

1. Anne Frank Remembered
Not so much for any kind of "craftsmanship" as a film, but more on the scale of the message that can result from seeing how this real-life situation unfolded.
As with everyone else, sometimes, it gets pretty easy for me to forget how good I really have it in life. Every time I watch this movie, & hear the part when Anne writes in her diary of her waiting for things to get back to normal, as a viewer who knows that for her it never will, it serves as a great reminder to me that not taking things for granted is an act of appreciation that should never wait until tomorrow. The only existing moving-figure footage of Anne that is included in this documentary, truly serves to enhance the importance of this lesson of gratitude.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I watched Born into Brothels not that long ago and it needs to be included on my list of top ten. Of course it's heartbreaking, but the kids are so inspirational and they are simply amazing. Their photography as well as some of the things they say blew me away.

I am also watching the Up Series. The first three are really interesting, but after 21 it just seems redundant and unnecessary.

The last one I watched that I liked was Super High Me...not very scientific but funny as hell to watch!

Also liked:
Fahrenheit 9/11 (it needed to be made)
Bowling for Columbine (scared the crap out of me...glad guns aren't sold like toys here in Australia!)
Zeitgeist (very sensationalist but worth a watch for the info it contains)
Nicaragua: NO Pasaran (they will not pass)
Chile: Hasta Cuando (Until when?)
The Battle of Chile (as you can guess...I'm of a Chilean background)

Music wise I love the "Classic Albulms/Making Of" documentaries where they get the artists to disect their own "classic" albulms.

Documentaries:

Here's a list of documenaries that I enjoyed:

Fog of War
Hearts and Minds
Harlan County U. S. A.
State of Siege
Missing
Ground Truth
Iraq for Sale
Yes Sir, No Sir
Weather Underground
Bowling for Columbine
Fahrenheit 9/11
Sicko

Concert movies:

Here's some concert movies that I enjoyed:

Gimme Shelter
Monterey Pops
Woodstock
Bangladesh

The one thing about Woodstock that I found somewhat disturbing when I heard about it, however, is the fact that the movie wasn't altogether accurate: Having known several people who actually went to Woodstock, I heard firsthand afterwards that it wasn't so rosy; that there'd been a great deal of violence, a lot of bad trips, overdoses, and so on. In order to promote the idea that there'd been much gentleness at Woodstock, all that had been completely and deliberately cut out when it was made into a movie.

The film Gimme Shelter, on the other hand was a good, interesting film, because it presumably portrayed the decline of rock concerts. However, having seen Gimme Shelter twice, I believe that this film was a far more accurate, more rounded-out portrayal of what really and truly went on at many rock concerts, particularly during that time.

Fog of War and Super Size Me.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
I'm not a big fan of Fog of War, I got a little bored but i can see that it's a good documentary.

Night and Fog - nearly cried whilst watching this
Thin Blue line
Road to Guantanamo
Jesus Camp - smite me b!tch
Bowling for Columbine

Plus BBC nature documentaries like David Attenborough's stuff as well as Ray Mears survival films

i could list hundreds but i will try to keep it short. these are in no particular order.
1. sicko
2. an inconvenient truth
3. the corporation
4. grizzly man
5. crumb
6. some kind of monster (dave mustane bawling his eyes out, great!)
7. the u.s vs john lennon
8. kurt and courtney
9. my kid could paint that
10. cocaine cowboys
11. up the yangtze
12. who the #$&% is jackson pollack
13. pink floyd: live at pompeii
14. zeitgeist
15. end game
16. metal: a headbangers journey
17. sharkwater
18. outlaw comic: the censoring of bill hicks

Sicko

Oh and Fahrenheits 911 and Farienhype 911

I need to watch more documentaries, especially some of the ones mentioned in the thread. Recently I watched Senna and thought it was great, especially because I have no interest in F1.

Well, I enjoy good documentaries so I'll list my favorites in no particular order and I might as well go alphabetically:

Aileen: Life And Death Of A Serial Killer
Aileen Wournos: The Selling Of A Serial Killer
Battle Of Algiers
Bowling For Colombine
Brandon Teena Story
Cocaine Cowboys I
Cocaine Cowboys II
Deliver Us From Evil
Fahrenheit 9/11
Favela Rising
The Fog Of War
Ghosts Of Cite Soleil
Ghosts Of Rwanda
Guliani Time
Gladiator Days: Anatomy Of A Prison Murder
Grizzly Man
Hearts And Minds
Hotel Teminus
The Ice Man: Confessions Of A Mafia Hitman
The Ice Man Interviews
Jonestown
Knuckle
La Sierra

Mr. Untouchable
Murderball
Nanking
Paradise Lost I, II, III
Red Trousers
The Road To Guantanamo
Sicko
Sophie Scholl
The Sorrow And The Pity
Stevie
Stoked
S 21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine
Taxi To The Dark Side
Terror's Advocate
The Thin Blue Line
The Times Of Harvey Milk
The Two Escobars
Uncle Saddam
The Untold Story Of Emmet Louis Till
A Very British Gangster
Waco
Woodstock

Senna was fantastic.

Other notable ones are "The Cove" and "Waiting for Superman"

All of those can be found on netflix instant btw.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I thought what Senna suffered from was trying to turn Prost into a wheedling bad guy instead of what he actually was - One of the greatest drivers F1 had but totally different in style and personality to Senna himself.

It's a minor gripe though, because I think Senna the film is as fascinating as it is tragic. I remember Senna's death as if it were yesterday, sitting in front of the TV with my dinner on a tray on my knee. It was one of those (thankfully rare) instances watching a live broadcast when you just *know* something awful has happened.

RIP Sid Watkins, by the way. The FIA doctor who was at Senna's side after the accident (and was one of his closest friends in the sport) passed away a few days ago.

1. The Man With A Movie Camera (1929) by Dziga Vertov

2. Night and Fog (1955) by Alain Resnais

3. The House Is Black (1963) by Forugh Farrokhzad

4. Crumb (1994) by Terry Zwigoff

5. This is Not a Film (2011) by Jafar Panahi and Mojtaba Mirtahmasb

6. Lessons of Darkness (1992) by Werner Herzog

7. Hoop Dreams (1994) by Steve James

8. Triumph des Willens (1935) by Leni Riefenstahl

9. The Act of Killing (2012) by Joshua Oppenheimer

10. Grizzly Man (2005) by Werner Herzog

11. Sweetgrass (2009) by Ilisa Barbash and Lucien Castaing-Taylor
12. Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country (2008) by Anders Østergaard
13. Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2009) by Sacha Gervasi
14. The Cove (2009) by Louie Psihoyos
15. Dig! (2004) by Ondi Timoner
16. The Fearless Freaks (2005) by Bradley Beesley
17. Waste Land (2010) by Lucy Walker, João Jardim, Vik Muniz and Karen Harley
18. The Wild Blue Yonder (2005) by Werner Herzog
19. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007) by Seth Gordon
20. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991) by Eleanor Coppola, George Hickenlooper and Fax Bahr
21. Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii (1972) by Adrian Maben
22. Last Days Here (2011) by Don Argott and Demian Fenton
23. The White Diamond (2004) by Werner Herzog
24. Searching for Sugar Man (2012) by Malik Bendjelloul
25. Catfish (2010) by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman

If anyone likes MMA, GSP has one called The Striking Truth and Anderson Silva has one called Like Water. Both are on Netflix. Waiting for Superman is pretty good too if you want to see how bad the American educational system is.

Iron Fitness: http://ironfitnessonline.com/

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wow, every TokeZa list is outstanding. His lists always contain very valuable films I've already seen and the ones I can't wait to see. There are some I've never heard about too, but they change into the ones I can't wait to see in no time.

Wow, every TokeZa list is outstanding. His lists always contain very valuable films I've already seen and the ones I can't wait to see. There are some I've never heard about too, but they change into the ones I can't wait to see in no time.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
1. Olympia
2. Sans soleil
3. Triumph des Willens
4. Die Große Stille
5. Baraka
6. Night and Fog
7. The House is Black
8. Häxan
9. Talking Heads
10. Samsara