The Mighty Boosh

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Come with us now on a journey through time and space, to the world of the Mighty Boosh...

With series 3 starting up again on bbc3 (and online), time to declare your appreciation of the weird and wonderful world of the Boosh; Howard, Vince and the rest.

Enemies are so stimulating.
i managed to catch the last 5 mins of it last night. i didnt realise it had started this week. was that a giant polo he had on his face?
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

Well, I do like it. I'm into my music so I enjoy the little genre jokes and the writing genuinely sparks.

"Don't mess with the occult!"
"What? I thought it was good for you. Helps your stomach and that."
"That's yakult, you dope"

And the "Nanageddon" episode was probably the funniest thing on TV in the past year. Particularly that whole thing about The Crunch. Oh, and the polo-eyed cockney always makes me giggle.

My ONLY problem with it is it feels like a bit of a step backwards for British comedy. When I think about the stuff Chris Morris and Armando Ianucci put out a decade ago it seems rather feeble by comparison. Maybe I'm a snob, but I've always felt surrealism works best whens it's hitched to a strong satirical agenda. When you just have crazy stuff happening for the sake of it the comedy doesn't strike as deep.

Probably the best comedy on TV right now, though. We've been through a barren few years.

And the "Nanageddon" episode was probably the funniest thing on TV in the past year.
Very true, that was my favourite episode of them all.

There is something defiantly immature about the Boosh, the first time I watched it, I thought this is just kids tv with knob jokes, but I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with surreal fun just for fun's sake. I think too many comedies have such a political agenda that they just aren't funny anymore. And I think there is room for both the Mighty Boosh and The Thick of It in the world.

So, what do you guys think of the new series so far. There seems to be a lot of hate for series 3 on facebook. It hasn't been 100% hilarious, but the first two weren't either, it is more of a weird brand of humour.

I really liked Vince's immune system and brain cells, the crack fox was actually really scary and freaked me out.

The best bits of the show for me are just the conversations between Vince and Howard. I'd prefer it with more of the two of them together and less of them dressing up as weird villains.

Not to be negative, but the ones I've seen have been a bit, eh, well "eh". There're some flashes of brilliance, but the over-reliance on rehashing and self-reference really pulls down my opinion.

I can't figure out if they've lost their nerve or they're genuinely out of ideas but it seems the show peaked in series 2. Shame, really.

Episode 5, Party.

Perhaps this just further exemplifies the self referentiality that Lockheed Martin mentioned, but I liked this episode. The whole Howard/Vince kiss thing was genius, if obviously geared towards a certain segment of the fanbase...I suppose that element has always been part of the series...They made it pretty funny, though.

And the 'when you are the moon, you split people down the middle...'. Too true, judging by some discussions I've seen on the Boosh.

I do think the Shamans are in it a bit much, though. Things that are offbeat or funny the first time around become a bit tired after we keep seeing them.

And what is with all the drugs and swearing? I don't mind the swearing, but the drugs stuff is almost a bit too obvious, like sticking two fingers up at whoever put them on at 10.30, probably...

And what is with all the drugs and swearing? I don't mind the swearing, but the drugs stuff is almost a bit too obvious, like sticking two fingers up at whoever put them on at 10.30, probably...
Blame demographic-driven production interference, the BBC did the same thing with Little Britain. Their head of comedy has a great track record for taking something already popular and flattening it out for the biggest possible appeal. The upside is they can just about manage to justify the existence of BBC3 to the viewing public, the downside is more eclectic folk are turned off.

Ho hum.

Have to agree, though. Tonight's episode was outstanding, I actually laughed so spontaneously my cigarette fell out my mouth and burnt my arm. Just goes to show, when they hit the mark they hit it hard.

I wish they'd pare down some of the supporting cast, though. Richard Ayoade and Richard Fulcher doom everything they touch. They're just not that funny, damn it. I don't care how lovely they are in real life, every moment they spend on screen is death.

I wish they'd pare down some of the supporting cast, though. Richard Ayoade and Richard Fulcher doom everything they touch.

Oh Fulcher winds me up, I don't find him funny at all. He's actually rather repulsive, which is probably partly the point, but it doesn't do it for me.

The cleverness of skyplus - it recorded the boosh live for me, even though I didn't know it was on until I'd left for Christmas, so that was a nice surprise when I came back

It was actually pretty good...once it got going. Although you'd have thought that they would stop finding themselves funny by now...

I got the Series 1 and 2 boxset and have to say first series is brilliant but 2nd is a massive step down. Can't touch Peep Show for laughs (even the lesser later series) but do enjoy Booshs offbeat comedy plus Noel Fielding is quality.

I heard they are making a film of the Mighty Boosh...which sounds quality, but I can't help wondering whether it will be anything different from the series, as the live show was pretty much the same jokes, characters and situations.

The Boosh were on Jonathan Ross on Friday, new tour (I so wish I could go...) and the book. I still have no idea what the book will be like at all, but I daresay I shall be getting it anyway. Nothing said about the film, though.

Well, got the book and it was a bit disappointing, to be honest.

I am well aware that this thread really is just me posting stuff instead of a discussion...

It just occurred to me the other day that the Boosh really is just like Withnail & I with monsters...

End of this week's random Boosh posting.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive seen afew episodes and what ive seen it is hilarious. I was weak in the episode with Mr Susan and his mirror balls! "Look at them shine!" haha I was crying it was so funny.

I went to see the live show on Saturday. It was a good night out and well worth it, although it wasn't exactly their best work. Too many songs and not enough story, really. I don't know where they got the idea that they are a band now, but it's getting a bit irksome. The songs are ok, clever pastiches that work within the context of the show but not so much out of it. I think perhaps they think they don't really need to work hard at it because they know all the fans will turn up and scream and laugh everytime a character comes on stage and says a line out of the show but for me it's getting dangerously close to being just catchphrase comedy and I really thought they were better than that. At one point Howard says 'shut up, it's not a pantomime', but it is, really, which is a shame. The bits with Howard and Vince trading insults is still by far the funniest aspect. That and the slightly homemade feel of the show - beards falling off, Tony Harrison stuck in an armchair, stuff like that.

And I was not impressed with the programme - twelve quid for basically a bunch of drawings, some of which were recycled from the book anyway. I still love the Boosh, but I just hope they up their game for the film, if they're still making one, and get back to what made it funny in the first place.