What's The Best Movie of 2015 So Far?

Tools    

Blissfully Oblivious
The best film I've seen so far that came out this year would have to be The Gift. That being said, I still haven't seen Sicario or The Martian. I've watched Ex Machina and while it's easily my second best, that ending really messed it up for me.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The best film I've seen so far that came out this year would have to be The Gift. That being said, I still haven't seen Sicario or The Martian. I've watched Ex Machina and while it's easily my second best, that ending really messed it up for me.
The ending was one of the best parts!

Blissfully Oblivious
The ending was one of the best parts!
Believe you me, I really want to get behind it. I've thought on this ending more than any film this year, but I always come to the same conclusion. Unfortunately, I don't have a high enough post count to tell you why I feel this way through PM so I'll post it here.

Spoilers for Ex Machina

WARNING: spoilers below
I had this all typed out better but my laptop did something stupid and I lost everything I had. I mostly have a problem with Nathans experiment. He personally choses Caleb but did he not realize that Caleb was going to be extremely susceptible to Ava's only means of escape (being manipulation and deception)? The shock in his face when he realized Ava was already in the process of escaping showed he didn't consider it at all.

Also the way Ava totally used Caleb and just left him to rot felt extremely mean spirited and painted an ugly picture of humanity. I mean I know we're supposed to want her to escape after seeing everything she had been through but by the end, I kind of hated her.

Jurassic World is the best movie of 2015. For anyone who is a fan of the first movie and Dinosaurs, will love Jurassic World. Besides the great performance of Chris Patt, the special effects were well used and it was certainly better than the second and the third but lower than the first.

Mad max
Ex machina
Mi5
Best of 2015

Welcome to the human race...
Believe you me, I really want to get behind it. I've thought on this ending more than any film this year, but I always come to the same conclusion. Unfortunately, I don't have a high enough post count to tell you why I feel this way through PM so I'll post it here.

Spoilers for Ex Machina

I had this all typed out better but my laptop did something stupid and I lost everything I had. I mostly have a problem with Nathans experiment. He personally choses Caleb but did he not realize that Caleb was going to be extremely susceptible to Ava's only means of escape (being manipulation and deception)? The shock in his face when he realized Ava was already in the process of escaping showed he didn't consider it at all.

Also the way Ava totally used Caleb and just left him to rot felt extremely mean spirited and painted an ugly picture of humanity. I mean I know we're supposed to want her to escape after seeing everything she had been through but by the end, I kind of hated her.
WARNING: "Ex Machina" spoilers below
If Nathan had personally picked Caleb because he fit the profile he wanted then it stands to reason that he expected Caleb to be susceptible (hence why Ava is tailored to suit Caleb's personal preferences). That was kind of the whole point of the experiment - to see if Ava could fool Caleb in a variation of the Turing test. His shock at the end seems to come from the fact that it worked too well and that Caleb and Ava managed to out-think him, the supposed genius who had worked to anticipate every possible move they could make and manipulate things to his favour.

Also, aren't you kind of supposed to hate Ava by the time the film ends? If Caleb is the film's viewpoint character then our perception of Ava is supposed to change as his does. As a result, this is what happens when Caleb (and, by extension, we the audience) wants Ava to escape. That way, when the film finishes we feel just as deceived as Caleb does. In any case, I don't see how the ending is supposed to paint an "ugly picture of humanity". Ava's actions are still influenced by the fact that she's an artificial being and so her letting Caleb die is nothing more than tying up a loose end that could threaten to expose her true nature. There's no way of knowing for certain how much of her "humanity" is genuine or just manipulative imitation.

Blissfully Oblivious

Spoilers for Ex Machina

WARNING: "Ex Machina" spoilers below
If Nathan had personally picked Caleb because he fit the profile he wanted then it stands to reason that he expected Caleb to be susceptible (hence why Ava is tailored to suit Caleb's personal preferences). That was kind of the whole point of the experiment - to see if Ava could fool Caleb in a variation of the Turing test. His shock at the end seems to come from the fact that it worked too well and that Caleb and Ava managed to out-think him, the supposed genius who had worked to anticipate every possible move they could make and manipulate things to his favour.

Also, aren't you kind of supposed to hate Ava by the time the film ends? If Caleb is the film's viewpoint character then our perception of Ava is supposed to change as his does. As a result, this is what happens when Caleb (and, by extension, we the audience) wants Ava to escape. That way, when the film finishes we feel just as deceived as Caleb does. In any case, I don't see how the ending is supposed to paint an "ugly picture of humanity". Ava's actions are still influenced by the fact that she's an artificial being and so her letting Caleb die is nothing more than tying up a loose end that could threaten to expose her true nature. There's no way of knowing for certain how much of her "humanity" is genuine or just manipulative imitation.
I guess I'm still having a hard time not watching movies like this on an more professional level than personal. I never thought about that being a possibility. I still really enjoyed the film and I can appreciate it better after your explanation. Thank ya.