Step Right In! Witness A Swan Discuss Cinema!

→ in
Tools    

Crimson Peak (Guillermo del Toro, 2015)

Wait for it...

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR MY BOY GUILLERMO!!!!!!

+

I feel like your rating for Inside Out was affected by your expectations and the experience of the movie might have been slightly ruined when you kept hoping for something else.

Pixar perhaps didn't tackle depression, but it was far from your usual happy-sappy stuff. They tackled sadness and its place in life. It tackled lonliness and the part of growing up and experiencing new things; seeing them differently. Especially the whole sadness part was quite daring when you think about.

Wall-E was once Pixar's most adult film, with enviormental focus and the problems of modern society. But Inside Out really challenges being the most adult-orientated movie Pixar has ever done so far.

But this shouldn't be a discussion, since both movies are extremely well made and pretty much masterpieces in my mind.

Master of My Domain
I feel like your rating for Inside Out was affected by your expectations and the experience of the movie might have been slightly ruined when you kept hoping for something else.
Agree, but if I had a mental illness I would probably expect a movie to touch on what I'm going through. It's usually movies that understand, not other people.

Pixar perhaps didn't tackle depression, but it was far from your usual happy-sappy stuff. They tackled sadness and its place in life. It tackled lonliness and the part of growing up and experiencing new things; seeing them differently. Especially the whole sadness part was quite daring when you think about.

Wall-E was once Pixar's most adult film, with enviormental focus and the problems of modern society. But Inside Out really challenges being the most adult-orientated movie Pixar has ever done so far.

But this shouldn't be a discussion, since both movies are extremely well made and pretty much masterpieces in my mind.
No no no, I must have spoken confusingly. The fact that the film didn't tackle depression was not criticism or a problem and didn't hinder my enjoyment. It was simply a thought of something that could have been but wasn't. We got something different, and something just as good as that potential idea. I simply wasn't completely infatuated with the film like I am with, say, WALL-E.

No no no, I must have spoken confusingly. The fact that the film didn't tackle depression was not criticism or a problem and didn't hinder my enjoyment. It was simply a thought of something that could have been but wasn't. We got something different, and something just as good as that potential idea. I simply wasn't completely infatuated with the film like I am with, say, WALL-E.
Okay. I see 3.5 as a positive rating, definitely, but what held it back from a 4 or even a 5?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I just go with my gut on ratings. By the way, 3.5 isn't just a positive rating. It's a really positive rating. I like Blair Witch Project, and gave it 2.5 after a rewatch recently. So 3.5 is very, very good in my book.

I mean, do you really think if I can't fault a film I should give it a 5, regardless of the fact that I'm not head-over-heels in love with it?

I mean sh*t, I can fault Crimson Peak more than I can fault Inside Out. Maybe that's it. I love imperfections, and Inside Out didn't have many.

It's not great, but it's an effective low-budget horror film, in my opinion.

Captain America: Civil War

This genuinely happened to me at one point during the film:

Jep, same thing happened to me.

Never been bored during the otherwise unusually long superhero flicks... I loved Winter Solider and I generally find myself entertained by the many Marvel movies, even though I'm not a big fan of the big budget action CG productions, which these are.

But this one... for the first time... bored me quite a bit.