The Lion King

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
The Lion King is getting adapted in a live-action form in the same vein as the live-action Jungle Book with Jon Favreau directing.

Voiceover Cast:
Donald Glover as Simba
James Earl Jones as Mufasa
Seth Rogen as Puumba
Billy Eichner as Timon
John Oliver as Zazu
Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar
Alfre Woodard as Sarabi

The film is coming in 2019.

This might just do nobody any good.
Against my better judgement... I'm kind of interested in this.

Jungle Book was good. Not groundbreaking beyond visual effects but it's pretty enjoyable.

Some of the voice casting (Olivier and Ejiofor) is cool, some is pretty meh (Rogen and Eichner? Key and Peele weren't available?).

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
They just announced John Kani, who plays Black Panther's father in Captain America: Civil War, is going to voice Rafiki.

This might just do nobody any good.
He sounded... odd in Rogue One. That’s age for ya. I guess Fishburne was busy?

I think because Mufasa’s voice is so iconic, you can’t really recast that. The Jungle Book worked because there was enough of a gap between that and the original and it grought something different (wasn’t a fan of the singing though). However The Lion King feels too recent and the original is so good that I don’t see the point of a remake apart from an obvious attempt to cash in on the film’s success, wow us with a bit of CGI and flog some merchandise. If any of the Disney Renaissance films would actually work as a live action remake, it would surely be Mulan, seeing as that actually featured humans in the main. Aladdin would be inadvisable as I think it would just look panto and would stir up controversy for being culturally insensitive, The Little Mermaid would probably be fine if a bit bland, I can’t see Hercules working as it’s too cartoonish. Pocahontas would probably stir up some sort of controversy- has Tarzan already had a live action remake? The Hunchback of Notre Dame would be an interesting one to do- sure it deviates a lot from the novel but it would be visually quite interesting and would get adults interested.

I agree with Mufasa's voice being so iconic that you can't recast it, which is why I'm very happy he's returning for the live adaptation. I would have also loved to have seen Jermemy Irons return as Scar though... also very iconic and I can't imagine anyone else portraying Scar via vocals. Mr Irons has a very distinct sound to his voice and it helped bring life to an iconic villian. I'm sure Chiwetel will do a fine job but being such a massive fan of the original animated movie, I really wanted Irons back.

But yeah... really excited for this movie! Loved what Jon Favreau did with Jungle book and got faith he will handle The Lion King with care... he better!

There's a thing on an episode of Nostalgia Critic where it points out that Jeremy Irons singing voice turns into Jim Cummings near the end of Be Prepared. Apparently Irons had a sore throat so Jim finished it.

I notice it every time now.

Well, it is should be interesting to see this version. Donald Glover is ok but...I dont know what to say...probably I would like to hear another actor=))

WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?

IT'S JUST A SHOT-BY-SHOT REMAKE WITH CGI!!!! WHAT'S THE PURPOSE?!?! WHY WOULD PEOPLE PAY THEIR HARD-EARNED TO SEE THIS?!?! WHAT WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN?!?!
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?

IT'S JUST A SHOT-BY-SHOT REMAKE WITH CGI!!!! WHAT'S THE PURPOSE?!?! WHY WOULD PEOPLE PAY THEIR HARD-EARNED TO SEE THIS?!?! WHAT WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN?!?!

It's a payday for Disney. Simple.

Going by what happened with the recent live-action remake of Dumbo... Disney can remake all of their old animations using live-action and CGI... and they don't have to pay a single dime to the original writers, producers, or even to the original musicians.

“I was cured, all right!”
I want this!
"It's a shot-by-shot remake with CGI"? Great!
Couldn't see the original in the big screen, now I can.
Long live The Lion King, one of the best animation of all time and my very first film passion.
Can't wait.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I really like the original. Perfect the way it is. Ok they are remaking it in cgi...get rid of the songs. I appreciate it may sound strange as I said originals perfect but musicals....a remake of a musical😒

That's a whole lot of CGI to be calling it live action. Not that I have any intention of seeing it anyway since I don't like the original.
are u serious , the original is one of the best disney classic movie

I have mixed feelings about all these live action remakes. On one hand, there's the obvious "why?" of it, the money-grasping cynicism. On the other hand, nobody's stopping anyone from watching the originals and simply ignoring these, and it's obviously better and adds more than a "straight" remake. They're also really pretty, now that the CGI has gotten as good as it has. The Jungle Book was pretty good, I thought, and I don't recall there being as much backlash against that as there is against this, or Aladdin trailer, or even Beauty and the Beast. Maybe because those are all newer and a lot of people posting comments grew up with those?

Anyway, I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I look forward to just renting it eventually and admiring how polished it looks, I guess. I don't think it's great, but it's not terrible, either. Retelling stories is inherent to the nature of stories.