Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Weird is relative.

I feel you're taking it too literally. The film is all about the USA. The current political climate. The current undertones of empowerment, and the rise of the right. The rise of the classes - being given a voice (Red was literally given a voice). The duality of people's real side is done brilliantly. It's a way, way better film than Get Out in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I thought a lot of things could have been done differently to make the story seem more "rational."

What you just described sounds like Sorry to Bother You. That was an excellent film IMO that also used shock value, but an average moviegoer could leave the viewing understanding what point the director was putting across. With Us, sure it is thought-provoking, but it creates so many varying "theories" so I think that was kind of the fault of lazy writing.

Weird is relative.

Gloria Bell (2019)

I really liked this, probably because I felt I could relate a lot with Gloria. Julianne Moore is still gorgeous, too.

It's a pleasant slice-of-life drama for when you want something quiet and not-too-over-the-top while you're relaxing and sipping on a glass of wine.

I do wish that scenes didn't cut away in the middle of some interesting conversations. It also would have been nice to see more of a backstory.

I'll have to watch the Spanish-language original sometime, which was set in Chile.

I'll have to watch the Spanish-language original sometime, which was set in Chile.
I hope you do, worthwhile with a nice performance from the lead in it imo. Didn't even know the US had remade it so thanks for posting about it

Hotel Mumbai (2019)

This is probably the most emotionally powerful movie I've seen this year. Brilliant performances by the cast. I did watch the special features and do a little research online to confirm some of the accuracies behind some of the characters and stories, and it's pretty much all there. Harrowing, but incredible story

I watched Midsommar last night. It was good: 8/10. It has, of course, a very Wicker Tree (a bit of Wicker Man, but a good bit more of Wicker Tree) kind of vibe to it, but it is more interesting since you are able to follow and see drastic changes in the protagonist which does not happen in either of the Wicker movies. Also, the cinematography is fantastic. The director who also did Hereditary was a unique visual style and tone. His transitions are quite different and sometimes seamless, sometimes jarring and sometimes both. The visuals while the kids are on drugs are truly freaky and interesting. I will purchase this on Blu-Ray or 4k.

Saw this last night and agree about the visuals it reminded me of Birdman with some of the long seamless shots and the establishing shots were stunning.

Unregistered User

Into the Abyss (2011)

Fascinating and haunting doc from Herzog. I love most of his work and this was no different.

The Virtues (2019)

4 part drama from Shane Meadows starring Stephen Graham. You know from the off that this isn't going to be an easy ride and it never is. It'll stay with me for a while this one.

Into the Abyss (2011)

Fascinating and haunting doc from Herzog. I love most of his work and this was no different.

The Virtues (2019)

4 part drama from Shane Meadows starring Stephen Graham. You know from the off that this isn't going to be an easy ride and it never is. It'll stay with me for a while this one.

Never heard of the virtues. Will give it a go after I finish my current crop of TV series. That Herzog doc is really good.

Make a better place

Really!!??

But wait..
Are you talking about Overboard 2018 or 1987?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Thunder Road (2018)

He's not a Slicker.

Green Book (2018)

I find that movies about racism are always interesting. The reason is that such a thing does not make any sense to me yet it was so prevalent in the US south about 60 years ago. The kind of thing where just because of their skin color, police officers put people in jail or segments of the population that cannot go into a bar otherwise they will be violently abused. It is really weird and fascinating.

Although the story felt a bit inadequate for the portrayal of such grave social problem with the rather cartoonish characterization, I loved the Italian-American lead, the guy was pure fun to watch.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

This is the film that introduced me to the great Makoto Shinkai and it continues to amaze me. I fell in love with it right away and my appreciation for it has only grown with repeated viewings. Shinkai is a master at creating an immersive experience and he doesn't fail here. One thing is worth mentioning. Some have taken to comparing Shinkai to the legendary Hayao Miyazaki, both favorably and unfavorably. Some have even called him, “the next Miyazaki,” a title Shinkai himself disagrees with, having a lot of respect for Studio Ghibli's founder. To be perfectly honest, I think it's dangerous to compare Shinkai to Miyazaki. If you want to know what I think, let Miyazaki be Miyazaki and let Shinkai be Shinkai; each is great in his own way and trying to compare the two is meaningless, much like comparing apples and oranges. With that said, let's move on. The story is a great one, exploring themes of life and death and whether or not it's right to try to bring back the dead, eventually deciding that, as James T. Kirk says in the opening minutes of The Wrath of Khan, “How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life,” and as Shin says in the latter half of Shinkai's film, “The living are more important.” Shinkai and his team of animators also do a great job of making it exciting and making the world of Agartha both interesting and threatening. Fun Fact: After some fans did their homework, they figured out that the film is set in 1973, the year Shinkai was born. Matching the story, the animation is stunning, as is the norm with Shinkai, which Sentai Filmworks has reproduced exceptionally well on the 1080p transfer with every color well-saturated but not garish, every line crystal clear without tipping over into edge enhancement, and every stylistic choice and visual effect readily apparent. Tenmon, in his final collaboration with Shinkai to date, provides an excellent musical score which, along with Anri Kumaki's Hello, Goodbye and Hello, comes across loud and clear on the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track without drowning out the dialogue or sound effects. Speaking of which, since I recently turned off the Dynamic Range Compression setting on the Blu-ray player, sound effects packed more of a punch this time than they did on previous viewings. Sentai has also produced an excellent English dub. Hilary Haag is excellent as Asuna Watase, the film's 11-year-old protagonist whose life has been difficult ever since she lost her father at a very young age, matching the character's age without devolving into being whiny or screamy, and actually molding her into a strong character who is arguably the film's most likable through her adventure in the underground world of Agartha, where some believe it is possible to restore life to the dead. So is Leraldo Anzaldua as Shin Canaan Preases, who Asuna befriends in Agartha, as is Corey Hartzog as Shun, Shin's older brother who Asuna meets early in the film and whose death sets much of the plot in motion. David Matranga is also excellent as Mr. Morisaki, Asuna's substitute teacher who wants to resurrect his wife, portraying the character as flawed and selfish, though not necessarily evil. Shelley Calene-Black is also solid as Asuna's mother who has had to work hours upon hours on end ever since losing her husband, limited as her screen time may be, and the dub script is completely natural. This is one of Shinkai's best for sure and it easily sucks me in every time I see it.

Your Name (2016) - Rewatch on FunimationNow

So this is it, the film that put Shinkai on the map and what a film to put him on the map. This one also never ceases to amaze me. The story is still a great one. Fun fact: Mitsuha's teacher was the female lead in Shinkai's short film The Garden of Words. The animation is stunning, which Funimation more than capably reproduces on the 1080p transfer, though I guess it would probably look even better on Funimation's Blu-ray release. It still looks better than the DVD did, though. On this go around, I couldn't help getting a kick out of Taki looking pissed about Tsukasa and Ms. Okudera goofing off. The RADWIMPS score is still completely and utterly charming, as are the songs, which I can't imagine the film without. They'd most likely sound better on the Blu-ray's Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track since the audio isn't much of a change from the DVD, but that's fine since streaming doesn't exactly have the bandwidth for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Funimation's English dub is still one of the best I've ever heard. Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh, who also directed this dub, are still amazing here as Taki Tachibana and Mitsuha Miyamizu. It still amazes me how well they did switching dialects and tones when the two teens switch bodies, lifestyles, and genders. Sheh was also the casting director on this dub and she picked everyone just right, from Glynis Ellis as Hitoha, Mitsuha's grandmother, to Ray Chase who is better here as Takagi, one of Taki's friends, than he was as Gendo Ikari in the Netflix dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion. The dub script is also completely natural. This is also one of Shinkai's best that has no trouble sucking me in and one of the most emotionally satisfying films of the past few years. There's no doubt in my mind that Shinkai is one of my favorite directors working today, and I can't wait for his Weathering With You to show up Stateside since he certainly knows how to make a good movie.

out of the furnace - 2013

it still amazes me how unappreciated this movie was/is
the acting is good, the bridge scene was one of the best dramatic scenes i've ever saw
the plot is interesting but the message is what really catches my attention
they talk about an elbow in america, a elbow trump successfully explored
the poverty in the industrialized remote areas closing the only doors those people had
the penal system that make humble people detach from the people they love
the lack of opportunities they give to the young people after they fight there wars

Nosferatu (1922)

I saw this once before over 20 years ago but not the same quality restoration. I liked it more then, perhaps because I've since seen Herzog's version and I'm a big fan of that one. This one is good but it won't make my list for the countdown.