Movie Tab II

Tools    

Care for some gopher?
Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975) -

J'ai tué ma mère I Killed My Mother (Xavier Dolan, 2009) -

Shotgun Stories (Jeff Nichols, 2007) -
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Arrowhead (Charles Marquis Warren, 1953)

Quay (Christopher Nolan, 2015)

Crashing Las Vegas (Jean Yarbrough, 1956)

Sid and Nancy (Alex Cox, 1986)
+

Ex-Sex Pistol Sid Vicious (Gary Oldman) and his lover Nancy Spungen (Chloe Webb) are strung out on heroin, oblivious to the fire in their room at NYC's Chelsea Hotel.
Superdad (Vincent McEveety, 1973)

Perri (N. Paul Kenworthy Jr. & Ralph Wright, 1957)

Nina (Cynthia Mort, 2016)

The Way of the Dragon (Bruce Lee,1972)

Chuck Norris on the offensive (temporarily) against Bruce Lee in Rome's Colosseum.
Love Nest (Joseph Newman, 1951)
+
Let’s Make Love (George Cukor, 1960)

Iron Eagle IV (Sidney J. Furie, 1995)

Cloverfield (Matt Reeves, 2008)
-

A group of partygoers get a first-hand view of the monster rampaging through Manhattan.
High Tide at Noon (Philip Leacock, 1957)

Momentum (Stephen S. Campanelli, 2015)

In & Out (Frank Oz, 1997)
-
The Heroic Trio (Johnnie To, 1993)

Wonder Woman (Anita Mui), Invisible Woman (Michelle Khan [Yeoh]) and mercenary Thief Catcher (Maggie Cheung) team up to battle Evil Master (Shi-Kwan Yen).
Incident at Loch Ness (Zak Penn, 2004)

The Devil's Mask (Henry Levin, 1946)
+
Hell Drivers (Cy Endfield, 1957)
+
Spring on Zarechnaya Street (Marlen Kutsiyev & Feliks Mironov, 1956)

Factory worker Nikolai Rybnikov is attracted to his Russian literature night school teacher (Nina Ivanova), but she doesn’t think she should date a student.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Have you watched it? It's short and pretty basic, but you get to hear them talk and see their workshop/studio. Their puppets (the ones they show) seem to really have a major influence on modern horror films.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
They got quite a lot of cool shorts and that Institute Benjamenta flick with that Fassbinder's actor in it, Gottfried John. The movie plays like a dream, so it doesn't make much sense, but it's quite beautiful visually and fairly atmospheric. Also, they draw from the best in their flicks. I've seen Poe in Benjamenta and Carroll & Schulz in some of these shorts.

They got quite a lot of cool shorts and that Institute Benjamenta flick with that Fassbinder's actor in it, Gottfried John. The movie plays like a dream, so it doesn't make much sense, but it's quite beautiful visually and fairly atmospheric. Also, they draw from the best in their flicks. I've seen Poe in Benjamenta and Carroll & Schulz in some of these shorts.
I love the Quays. Benjamenta is great. If you like that style, The PianoTurner of Earthquakes is even more visually appealing and dreamlike IMO.

Also, if anyone is a fan of their short films: the films of Jiri Barta and Jan Svankmajer are a must.

Care for some gopher?
Lethal Weapon 2 (Richard Donner, 1989) -

The Mark of Zorro (Fred Niblo, 1920) -

Les amours imaginaires Heartbeats (Xavier Dolan, 2010) -

Hold That Ghost (1941)

Bud Abbott as Chuck and Lou Costello as Ferdie are fired from their job as waiters at a fancy-shmancy nightclub, so they return to work as lowly gas station attendants and get kidnapped by notorious gangster "Moose" Mattson on the run from authorities. Shots are exchanged during the chase, Moose is killed by gunfire, and through a bizarre clause in his last will and testament Chuck and Ferdie inherit the gangster's will, which includes Moose's haunted tavern. What'dya know, a horror movie haunted resort before the Bates Motel. Dames Joan Davis and Evelyn Ankers accompany Chuck and Ferdie to the place, along with a corny scientist nerd.

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Have watched this two or three times over the last six months and it's become one of my favorite comedies. Lawrence Talbot aka the Wolf Man telephones baggage clerks Chuck and Wilbur to warn them of a shipment heading their way which includes the remains of Dracula and Frankenstein's monster, to be displayed in McDougal's House of Horrors. This was also the only other time Bela Lugosi reprised his role he created in Dracula (1931), he played other vampires in other movies, but this was the only other time he played Dracula as a sustained role on film.

Rating:
+ 8.5 / 10

Sons of the Desert (1933)

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy show up late to a big meeting at the fraternal lodge of the sons of the desert, and all members take an oath to go to the annual convention in Chicago the next week. Although what happens isn't necessarily as important as Lauren and Hardy's natural comedic acting talent. Was also charmed when Ollie said 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.'

Rating:
8.0 / 10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	1vidholdthatghostjoan.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	25776   Click image for larger version

Name:	castle acmf.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	25778   Click image for larger version

Name:	sondesert2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	25779  

Youth (Sorrentino, 2015)

Youth is a film that I have anticipated prior to the trailer even being released. The original premise of two aging friends contemplating their careers in the alps would make it sound like a straight forward narrative, a European The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. However this being directed by Sorrentino Youth is quite far from a straight forward narrative. The most common analogy brought out for Youth is a 2015 version of Fellini, Sorrentino certainly drives parallels between 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita throughout. I'd argue that Youth is an even more grandiose and avant-garde film watching experience than either of those films though. The first twenty minutes felt Lynchian. The tone and scenery draw parallels to Altman's Three Women. Despite having elegant and charming scenes the film is extremely sexual and surreal. Many scenes are as indescribable as those from Mullholland Drive while others feel like a luxurious euro melo-drama.

The film is a sensory treat. Amazing cinematography, beautiful scenery, and a 5 star score. Sorrentino does create a true treat for the eyes and ears, what wasn't stimulated in my experience was the mind or heart. While the take on aging in the film is extremely unique, the message is fairly simple. Even when the film focuses on the individual motives of the characters, it's nearly impossible to make an emotional connection with how splashy the film attempts to be for the better part of itself. With how much effort is put into the deepness of the dialogue nothing said stood out to me. The film is just far to egotistical and pretentious to deliver the humanist message it's going for. That's not to say I disliked the film, I'll likely revisit it for the laughs and the visual aspects have inspired me to watch more from Sorrentino. The acting is great- especially by Caine- and the film looks beautiful, but Youth fails with its own techniques from delivering the desired message.

+

Hold That Ghost (1941)
Rating:
7.0 / 10

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Rating:
+ 8.5 / 10
Awesome! I grew up on A&C movies; they helped me foray into classic Hollywood. You gotta watch The Time of Their Lives if you haven't seen it already. I think that's their best and most charming.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
May

Jamaica Inn (1939)
-
Diamonds are Forever (1971)

Under Capricorn (1949)
-
Live and Let Die (1973)

Love Actually (2003)

The Man with the Golden Gun
-
Ghost (1990)

Detective’s Story (1951)
+
The Steel Helmet (1951)

When Marnie was There (2014)
-
Trois Coleurs: Rouge (1994)
+
The Band Wagon (1953)
-
The Big Country

La regle du Jeu
-

Month Count: 14/0
Year Count: 94/4

Busy month, and the next one promises to be even worse... :/

A system of cells interlinked
Paprika

(Kon, 2006)

Really creative anime. Dreamy, trippy reality twisting abounds.

Mr. Nobody

Dormael, 2009

Sort of a flawed masterpiece, I adored this film. Not without its flaws, but they were easily overlooked due to the sheer ambition of this work. A fantastic, emotional look at time, choice and love. I see a few more viewings of this gem in my future.

Resolution

Benson, 2013

Indy horror/thriller that is a fun little self-aware examination of stories and film. Pretty clever, but slightly uneventful. Still worth a watch.

The World's End

Wright, 2013

A fun romp with Edgar Wright and Pegg, once again. This time it's a sci-fi/comedy blend that takes shots at the "Starbucking" of our society. Contains several laugh-out-loud sequences.

The Life of Pi

Lee, 2011

Richard Parker!

Care for some gopher?
2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968) -

Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999) -
+
Bluebeard (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1944) -