Baseball Season

Tools    

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Baseball season has arrived [finally] and I see no active baseball fans around here. What’s up with that? Am I the only baseball fan in this forum?

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

Sounds good. I really think we should post in this thread for baseball conversations. Such as, What’s your favorite baseball team? What was last night’s score? And Play Off predictions. I’m sure if all baseball fans come in here we can have a great time talking about our favorite baseball players and so forth

Put me in your pocket...
My husband is an Orioles fan...so I hear...ummm...lots of stuff.

I like going to an occassional game. I love Camden Yards and the energy surrounding it during a game.

I also like having very close seats to home plate and the dugout so my girlfriend and I can........

........never mind. I'm feeling naughty right now.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Aniko
My husband is an Orioles fan...so I hear...ummm...lots of stuff.

I like going to an occassional game. I love Camden Yards and the energy surrounding it during a game.

I also like having very close seats to home plate and the dugout so my girlfriend and I can........

........never mind. I'm feeling naughty right now.
Is it the players or their bats?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Is it the players or their bats?
Both~~

I'm glad that baseball season is back. I'm not a particularly big fan of it, but my parents are. Other than the fact that it gets them out of town much more often , it also brings their spirits up, a lot. They haven't had much to keep them optimistic lately and I'm hoping that having baseball to look forward to pretty much every day will bring some more happiness back in their lives.

Well... I’ll just start off by saying that I’m a White Sox fan. I was born and raised here in Chicago. Baseball is not my favorite sport but I enjoy watching it. I live in the south side of Chicago and live just two blocks away from U.S. Cellular Field which is home to the Chicago White Sox. I remember going to my first Sox game which probably took place in the late 80’s. Since then I’ve been a fan of the Sox.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Yoda
I've been a big fan since about 1995 or so.
Funny, that's about the time I started hating baseball.

After the strike of 1994 they can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
My dad and older brother were HUGE baseball fans, so I grew up in a baseball-rich atmosphere. There was a lot of baseball history discussed around our house, and my dad knew a lot about the old-timers (players from the 1920s and up). I probably had more baseball knowledge than a lot of my friends at the time.

Starting in junior high school, I became a Reds fan (The Big Red Machine of the mid-1970s). From that point on, I used to follow the box scores religiously (this was before ESPN). I'd watch any games on tv whenever they were televised. I'd go to several Giants and A's games during the year. I continued this religious trend until the strike of 1994. After '94, I stopped looking in the paper as often, I stopped going to games as often, and I stopped watching ESPN as often. I still had an interest in the game, but it wasn't as "religious" as before.

I've been playing a fantasy baseball game called Strat-o-matic Baseball for the last 15 years. This is a game played with cards and dice (our league now plays the computer version; no more cards and dice), and we can play versus the other teams in our league via internet. We draft a team, create our lineups, pitching rotation, etc. The players abilities (hitting vs. lefties/righties, fielding range, arm, baserunning, stealing, pick off ability, pitchers' hold, catchers' arm, etc.) is determined on the actual player's statistics from the previous major league season. It's a lot of fun, and it's probably the only thing that is keeping me interested in following the game on a weekly basis (I check how my players are doing with a quick glance at the boxscores).

Over the past 10 years, there have been too many things that have turned me away from baseball. The steroids issue has put a huge scar on my feelings for the game right now. I currently feel like I'm watching a staged event like WWF.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

A system of cells interlinked
I live in the Boston area, so it's all about the Red Sox folks

Oh, I think we have some decent pitching this year

Originally Posted by Sedai
I live in the Boston area, so it's all about the Red Sox folks

Oh, I think we have some decent pitching this year

I'm with ya' there. Bucco fan here, but I follow the A's and Red Sox as well. Love those stathead GMs.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Nope just Football (american,as in not soccer) and Hockey for me. I find that the game of baseball progresses too slow <----- opinion

any comments?

Just thought I’d let you guys know that the White Sox won their home opener Tuesday afternoon! They hammered the Kansas City Royals, 12-5! Yesterday afternoon they played the Royals once again and managed to beat them... but barely! It doesn’t matter because a win is a win

Here’s yesterday’s scoreboard

American League

Tampa Bay 1
Ny Yankees 5

Kansas City 9
Chi White Sox 10

Postponed: Rain
Baltimore
Boston

Minnesota 10
Cleveland 6

Toronto 3
Detroit 5

Oakland 9
Texas 4

Seattle 5
Anaheim 6

National League

Houston 11
St. Louis 1

Pittsburgh 3
Chi. Cubs 8

Postponed: Rain
Cincinnati
Philadelphia

Milwaukee 3
San Francisco 0

Florida 9
Montreal 0

Atlanta 6
NY Mets 1

Arizona 4
Colorado 14

Los Angeles 11
San Diego 4

I'm a cleveland fan. I've lived around there all my life and grew up watching the Indians suck and then do good for a few years and now suck again.
"What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you." -Charles Frazier

"I would kill someone in front of their own mama for a ten speed. And if anyone testifies against me I'll gouge their eyes out."

Originally Posted by Sedai
Ya, pouring buckets up here this week, typical Fenway rain delay

_S

I heard the Red Sox are playing the Yankees tonight? That’s a game to see.

Originally Posted by Fall-from-Grace
I'm a cleveland fan. I've lived around there all my life and grew up watching the Indians suck and then do good for a few years and now suck again.
Trust me. The Indians have never been good

As for my Sox... they managed to get their very first sweep of the year, which took place at home.

Yesterday’s scoreboard

American League

Toronto 11
Detroit 0

Kansas City 5
Chi White Sox 6

Oakland 2
Texas 7

Baltimore 12
Boston 7

Minnesota 3
Cleveland 0

Seattle 6
Anaheim 2

National League

Cincinnati 4
Philadelphia 6

Pittsburgh 5
Chi Cubs 10

Florida 3
Montreal 0

Arizona 11
Colorado 10

Atlanta 0
NY Mets 4

Milwaukee 6
Houston 2

Los Angeles 7
San Diego 5

A system of cells interlinked
Wakefield seems to have the Yank's number, as he mystified them again this go-round to bring the Sox to a nice 6-2 victory They can't hit off this guy. Schilling soon....

Bonds Bonds Bonds Bonds Bonds

• Ranks 2nd in NL in BA (.500)
• Ranks 1st in NL in HR (7)
• Ranks 3rd in NL in RBI (16)
• Ranks 10th in NL in R (11)
• Ranks 2nd in NL in BB (13)
• Ranks 1st in NL in OBP (.638)
• Ranks 1st in NL in SLG (1.265)
• Ranks 1st in NL in OPS (1.903)

Rodriguez

Ranks nowhere to be seen in absolutely anything, well, his Onbase plus Slugging is almost as high as Bonds OBP.