Thief's Monthly Movie Loot - 2022 Edition

Tools    

Honestly can't remember anything of any substance about the sequel but I do remember thinking the urban setting was simply far less appealing than in the original where for me the jungle was really suited as a setting for an alien creature that could 'cloak' itself. In my head (rightly or wrongly) the sequel was just a far less interesting retread.
I'm torn because, generally speaking, I'm usually drawn to films set in jungles. Don't ask me why, but I do, so obviously that's part of why I'm drawn to the original. However, I do appreciate the attempt to not repeat the same setting and try to set the sequel not in a literal jungle, but in a metaphorical one that's also fraught in conflict just like we saw in the original. Like I said in my review, I thought that was clever on paper.

I'm torn because, generally speaking, I'm usually drawn to films set in jungles. Don't ask me why, but I do, so obviously that's part of why I'm drawn to the original. However, I do appreciate the attempt to not repeat the same setting and try to set the sequel not in a literal jungle, but in a metaphorical one that's also fraught in conflict just like we saw in the original. Like I said in my review, I thought that was clever on paper.
It might not make sense as their technology is far more advanced than ours but to me they just feel like a far more primeval species so, as clever as it may have sounded on paper to move from a natural jungle to a man-made one, the primeval setting just felt far more natural and fitting for a predator movie to me. Maybe the sequel played on the 'fish out of water' aspect, I don't remember, but if it did then it clearly didn't work well for me.

THE ROUGH HOUSE
(1917, Arbuckle & Keaton)
The first film from any director you like • A film from before 1920

"A new cook in the kitchen"

The Rough House is a 20 minute short written, directed, and starred by Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle and Buster Keaton. It follows a series of shenanigans that occur at the house of Mr. Rough (Arbuckle) as he wakes up, has breakfast, and handles two quarreling lovers and a pair of thieves.

This is pretty much a Roscoe Arbuckle vehicle. He was an already established comedic actor with a 10-year career at the moment. Arbuckle is credited as a mentor to Charlie Chaplin, and as the discoverer of Bob Hope and Buster Keaton, who plays three different roles here within the three different segments of the film.

The film has a simple premise and works mostly as a series of sketches loosely tied, but they all work fairly well together. Most of the physical comedy is on point, and I really laughed at some of the gags they pulled. Keaton's roles are fairly small, but Arbuckle has a nice comedic timing and a funny aloof persona.

This was actually Keaton's second short film, and his first directing job, so considering the turns their careers took in the next years, one could see it as an involuntary passing of the torch. There's a new cook in the kitchen indeed.

Grade:

I've seen the Predator films exactly once each, but I remember being annoyed that the second film was much "jokier", if that's a word. Would that be an accurate assessment?

That was a common problem for 80s sequels, in my experience.

I mean, the original wasn't exactly Schindler's List, obviously. I just remember the attempts at humor in part 2 exceeded my cheesy joke limit. Like were the aliens giving people the finger or something?

I mean, the original wasn't exactly Schindler's List, obviously. I just remember the attempts at humor in part 2 exceeded my cheesy joke limit. Like were the aliens giving people the finger or something?
I... don't remember that at all. You do have Bill Paxton's shenanigans, but I don't see it as being much different than the soldiers ribbing in the first part.

I... don't remember that at all.
Maybe my imaginary version would've been better, come to think of it.

Does the Predator learn English and say a naughty word? I know I'm not making this up. Or maybe it was a later film.

BEN-HUR
(1907, Olcott & Oakes Rose)
A film with a title that starts with the letters A or B • A film from before 1920

"A wonderfully realistic and pleasing presentation of Lew Wallace's famous story and a triumph of the kinetoscopic art."

That's how a "Western newspaper" described a local showing of this 1907 silent short film. Based on Wallace's 1880's novel, the film skims over most of the events briefly as it shows the titular hero imprisoned and competing in the famous chariot race.

Unfortunately, most of the versions I could find of these short were of very poor quality, so it's hard to see it as the grandiose experience that was described on that newspaper. The version that I saw also lacked any accompanying score, which makes the whole experience feel a bit flat.

Still, it's really interesting to catch up with these old classics and transport ourselves to those theaters and think of that wonderful experience at the time.

Grade: N/A

Maybe my imaginary version would've been better, come to think of it.

Does the Predator learn English and say a naughty word? I know I'm not making this up. Or maybe it was a later film.
LOL, it does imitate several words and sentences that characters say, but that's something we see in the original when it repeats some of the words said by the soldiers.

Unfortunately, most of the versions I could find of these short were of very poor quality, so it's hard to see it as the grandiose experience that was described on that newspaper. The version that I saw also lacked any accompanying score, which makes the whole experience feel a bit flat.
You should've asked this forum's movie pirate for help

All the versions I came across were of the same video quality, but here's a version with an accompanying score:

SALLIE GARDNER AT A GALLOP
(1878, Muybridge)
A film from before 1920

I would've loved to be in the room when the guy started flipping pictures and went "HOLY S-HIIIIT!!!"

ROUNDHAY GARDEN SCENE
(1888, Augustin Le Prince)
A film from before 1920

"Here we go around, (round, round, round)"

WORKERS LEAVING THE LUMIÈRE FACTORY
(1895, Lumière)
A film from before 1920

It's good to know that bolting out of work like a speed demon is a centuries long tradition.

A bunch of really old short films from the 19th Century I saw in preparation for the next episode of my podcast. Really interesting to see those first steps of film technology and cinema, and people trying to figure out what they can do with this. It's amazing.

ROUNDHAY GARDEN SCENE
(1888, Augustin Le Prince)
A film from before 1920

"Here we go around, (round, round, round)"
I had to give up on that one. It went on for way too long.

I had to give up on that one. It went on for way too long.
Sorry, man. Here's the 3 second version.

Back in the day, the original Predator was known for doing a rather clever genre shift halfway through.
It sure was: