Reading Tab

Tools    

Borrowing a page (no pun intended ) from MV, here's a thread to keep a running tab on things you read...be it books, magazines, articles, or anything else like that.

For me:

An article Peter sent to me about the Segway scooter thing:
http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...6660-1,00.html

...and, a book called "The American Leadership Tradition." I've been reading it for too long really...stopped for awhile and started back up, etc. I'm getting close to the end now, which is great, because I get such a great rush of satisfaction then I finish a book like that. I feel like it's in the vault...no one can take it away from me now! I've got that knowledge in me, and I'll retain most of it until the day I die. Great feeling.

i used to read a book every week .....mysteries and psychological thrillers........having a child kinda takes over and there just isn't much time or mental energy left for the focus needed to delve into a good book.....i still read when i do the stair gauntlet at the gym ( believe it or not)......but i miss my old freedom to read terribly!!!..........i miss wandering in bookstores for hours........alas.....i still keep a list of books i want to get (from book reviews), but i wait for them to come out in paperback. i usually order them at a bookstore while still in hardcover and the store will notifiy me when it's available in paperback..........works great with my nasty memory.

i'm reading "Beneath the Skin" by Nicci French right now......psycho thriller.....likin' it.

Dean Koontz's "False Memory" was a great read...and it would make a terrific movie. i'd recommend it!

My problem with reading is that I have to read the entire book in one sitting or else I rarely finish. That means that Tom Clancy books are out for me, obviously.

Most recently, I read a couple of books I enjoyed. They were "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor" by Bruce Campbell, "Ronald Rabbit is a Dirty Old Man" by Lawrence Block (I had read this one a couple of times before, so it wasn't so much new to me) and "Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese" by Michael J. Nelson of MST3K fame (which is more like a series of articles/reviews than a "book" per se, even though it is in book form).

I was going to reread "Fletch Won", but I know that if I read it, I'll just be wanting Kevin Smith's movie version to hurry up and get made. It's best I not think of Fletch at all again until 2003.

I just read the first three pages of an untitled literary work, code-named: hotarsecookie.

Basically, thus far it's about a young boy called Oscar whose family was killed in a car crash, and he was the only survivor and he blames the rest of his family. Which is interesting because their is a secret in his family which ultimately he wouldn't be able to uncover if his family hadn't been killed and he hadn't moved to his Auntie's. It's a catch 22.

I'll keep you posted.

Can we also make this thread a WRITING TAB?

Today I wrote the eigth, ninth and ten pages of my colaborative work, "Oblivion". I've done it on a very small font, and I am nearing the end of the first act. I have said to my partner that I should be completed the entire thing by the 11th or 12th of this month, so I'm going to write a heap more tonight.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by ryanpaige
My problem with reading is that I have to read the entire book in one sitting or else I rarely finish. That means that Tom Clancy books are out for me, obviously.

Well you might not finish it in one sitting, but I took Clear and Present Danger with me on a vacation, and finished it in three days.

Right now I'm refreshing my memory with Lord of the Rings...read The Hobbit, not too long ago.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've been trying to get through a Dean Koontz book, Fear Nothing. So far, it really has me pulled in. It's finding time to read it that's the trouble.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I read Antigone twice in the past week.

Now With Moveable Parts
OG- you read it for enjoyment...or for school?

School. I'd never read that thing for my own enjoyment again!!!

I even had to write 12 pages off stuff about it. Well I wrote 16, but still!

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah..it's pretty slow going, but it has some great insight into family dynamics and relationships between siblings...

Pssh, thats not what it was about at all!! It was teaching the life lesson that "**** happens". The whole siblings story was just the forum in which it was told.

Was it a work of fiction with some real-world theme underneath? I've never heard of the book, so I'm sort of clueless. If it's meant to teach you about the effects of siblings and families on each other, though, I imagine there are more specialized books you can look into.

I read Antigone too....And it's a greek play, TWT, although we read the French version from the 1940's, sort of re-written by Jean Anouilh. I have to say I prefer the French to the Sophocles version. Also, I took another look at Our Town after talking about it at school, and I absolutely love it. It's a great, great play.

ryan, how did you like Bruce Cambell's book.....tell me more!

and finding time to read is a challenge....especially when there's nothing better than having hours on end to just lose yourself between the pages.....spud, once you start, as long as you can read a good enough chunk at a time......you'll find the time...dontcha' think?...but the book has to be good enough to lure you back.......check out the Koontz book False Memory if you can.

and one of my alltime favorite authors, Paul Auster, wrote a trilogy called New York Trilogy...three short stories.....all terrific......you could easily read a whole story in one sitting.

and Silver....congratulations on writing........on actually writing.......for the longest time i felt i'd be a writer one day......built it up so much that i think it has actually prevented me from writing seriously.......afraid of failing i guess......at one point i burned all my writings...in a huge barrel outside..........who know's what i was thinking.......

Our Town is a remarkable play - so uplifting and beautiful and poetic. I think you missed the boat on it, Peter. I'll argue Our Town to the death. Anybody else read it, its by Thornton Wilder?

Originally posted by patti
ryan, how did you like Bruce Cambell's book.....tell me more!
I liked it a lot. It was funny, inspirational and informational all at the same time. I recommend it highly.

I started Paul Johnson's "Modern Times" today. Got a few pages in. Good stuff, although I find I don't REALLY take a fair amount of it in unless I either A) read it with a significant amount of focused attention, or B) read certain parts more than once. I'll be glad to have read it in the end, though...it'll give me a nice, solid handle on the happenings of the world, starting with 1920 or so.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
I started Paul Johnson's "Modern Times" today. Got a few pages in. Good stuff, although I find I don't REALLY take a fair amount of it in unless I either A) read it with a significant amount of focused attention, or B) read certain parts more than once. I'll be glad to have read it in the end, though...it'll give me a nice, solid handle on the happenings of the world, starting with 1920 or so.
Yes, it's always good to get a nice, solid, BIASED handle on the happenings of the world.

BTW, was your interest in Johnson piqued by our discussion on MV?

I'm reading Ibsen's A Doll's House; next will be Hedda Gabler.

From what I've heard, Johnson isn't particularly biased. He's British, for one, so I'm not getting an Americanized version of things. You're not going to completely avoid bias no matter what you read, however. And no, I'd read a bit of Johnson before the discussion, but it was mildly renewed by that.