YELLOWSTONE (Paramount Network)

Tools    

LOL. My bro Nigel says there’s no plot whatsoever!!

Tell me your plot hole in spoiler parens please.
I see his point!
WARNING: spoilers below
My impression is that Jamie Dutton’s girlfriend Cristina was supposedly pregnant in season 2, but there’s been no mention whatsoever of it since
. I tried reading around and it seems I’m not the only one to notice it, though perhaps he’s simply forgotten himself

Or I could have just missed it. Need to rewatch the whole thing before I can say for sure.

I see his point!
My impression is that Jamie Dutton’s girlfriend Cristina was supposedly pregnant in season 2, but there’s been no mention whatsoever of it since
. I tried reading around and it seems I’m not the only one to notice it, though perhaps he’s simply forgotten himself
Beware: there’s a spoiler in the spoiler!

It’s not a plot hole. That’s all I’ll say.

Nigel is being facetious. He hasn’t even gotten to some of the really nutty arcs yet.

Beware: there’s a spoiler in the spoiler!

It’s not a plot hole. That’s all I’ll say.

Nigel is being facetious. He hasn’t even gotten to some of the really nutty arcs yet.
Funnily enough, in the last hour I’ve seen mentions of his
son
online, so I guess not a plot hole after all.

Funnily enough, in the last hour I’ve seen mentions of his
son
online, so I guess not a plot hole after all.
Right. And not even a new one.

Never said it was a new one. Season 5 seems fine, but way too much shit happens to Monica, it’s a bit much and loses its impact.
This sounds like a spoiler, but, luckily, I can’t remember who Monica is.

I have season 5, part 1, pre-ordered on dvd.

This sounds like a spoiler, but, luckily, I can’t remember who Monica is.

I have season 5, part 1, pre-ordered on dvd.
I need to do that. So far I’m being drip-fed it via Amazon Prime/Paramount+ and too lazy to do anything about it.

Hey everyone. I like "Yellowstone." I think 1883 is actually a better show though. It has a poignancy that I think Yellowstone lacks, the acting is in my opinion better, as its much more real and much less over the top, I think the writing is better, the story is more stripped down, and I love the voice over narration! Does anyone else agree with me, or do you prefer Yellowstone?

I'm also wondering, what does everyone think about the ideology the show centers around? A lot of people consider it more of a conservatively themed show, or at least one that has respect and reverence for traditionally conservative ideas, and I'd have to agree. The whole plot about wealthy people having things and others in the society being a threat and wanting to take away what they have, especially when they haven't worked for it, and having to constantly battle to keep what is yours, is a very conservative idea. The show also seems to have a focus on protecting family traditions and the cowboy way of life, and contrasts that life with modernity, and the pitfalls that engenders, which is another conservative theme. The liberal ethic would be to take John Dutton and his family down to improve income inequality. Also, the show clearly has a respect for living off the land, farming, making your livelihood from the Earth, and not relying on the government or others to support you, which, to me, is another conservative theme. It also seems to be centered around the mistrust of institutions and value the individuals ability to, through self-reliance and hard work, and sometimes the application of violence, take care of themselves and leaves people to their own devices and remedies to solve their problems without outside interference from institutions.

On the other hand, John Dutton is clearly also someone who wants to preserve the land the way it is, and be a good steward of it, which you might argue is more of a liberal value, focusing on the beauty of nature and wanting to protect it from those who might do it harm. For what is worth, Taylor Sheridan, the creator, disagreed with that characterization of the show and does not view it as conservative. What does everyone else think?

Also, I think next season will likely be the last. By making John Dutton have the role that he currently does, I think they are driving towards a particular end game for the show, Kevin Costner doesn't seem that interested in remaining in the role for very much longer, and I think thematically, at some point soon, the Dutton family is going to either lose their property, or succeed in beating back the developers, and at that point, I think the story arc that really is the foundation of Yellowstone will likely be over. Do others agree the show is likely to wind down soon?

What does everyone think of John Dutton becoming governor? To me, it doesn't fit his character and I'm not quite sure why they are going in that direction for the show. He also appears to be almost entirely motivated by his desire to save his own land, which, I think, isn't really the right reason to run for governor. He doesn't, at least so far, seem to be interested in doing the job or really serving the people of the state.

So ive watched all the new Yellowstone episodes this season eccept for the finale, and just finished the first 2 episodes of 1923. I like Yellowstone but feel 1888 was better than any one season, and 1923 seems to be following the pattern. I dont know if its because of too many unrealistic elements in Yellowstone or im just not historically educated enough to see the same flaws in the prequels, but either way theyre all my favorites now.

A system of cells interlinked
My wife and I started this show a couple of nights ago. The pilot was pretty good - good enough that we decided to watch a couple more last night. Alas, while the pilot was fairly grounded, with character reactions making sense as the events unfolded, the following two episodes had some extremely contrived chains of events popping off. 90s soap opera levels of contrived. Not sure how much longer i will keep watching, although my wife seems less bothered by the silliness, so I may get stuck watching.

You ready? You look ready.
I watched a lot of soap operas as a kid, and I can't think of anything in Yellowstone that made me say "this reminds me of a soap opera". So could you be more specific?

@Sedai
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

My wife and I started this show a couple of nights ago. The pilot was pretty good - good enough that we decided to watch a couple more last night. Alas, while the pilot was fairly grounded, with character reactions making sense as the events unfolded, the following two episodes had some extremely contrived chains of events popping off. 90s soap opera levels of contrived. Not sure how much longer i will keep watching, although my wife seems less bothered by the silliness, so I may get stuck watching.
I’ve watched at least 3 seasons. It’s good, but I may bail out for a while. Some of the plot lines are nutty as hell & Beth is barking mad.

I watched a lot of soap operas as a kid, and I can't think of anything in Yellowstone that made me say "this reminds me of a soap opera". So could you be more specific?

@Sedai
Maybe I am being a little harsh, but I was thinking of stuff like early/mid 90s DooL, where bad things would just keep randomly happening to characters in rapid succession.

Case in point with Yellowstone:

In the pilot, the escalation of the cattle dispute was believable and made sense. So when Lee got shot by a hothead ex-military native with a chip on his shoulder, it made sense, as did Casey's response, as he is ex-mil also. Now let's look at the chain of events surrounding Casey in the days that follow:

A medical examiner determines that Lee couldn't have fired in self defense, and that there must have been a third shooter. Because of Casey's ex-mil status, he is the first guy the Res Police target as a possible shooter. This makes sense, but isn't water tight, as the area is populated by ranchers and cowboys who are armed to the teeth, with I am sure plenty of firearm skill. Still, it makes sense he would come up and be a person of interest. What follows borders on the absurd.

Casey and his wife and driving in his pickup. They drive by a trailer that just at that very moment, happens to explode. Turns out it was a meth lab, so Casey jumps out of the truck to investigate, and soon finds a horribly burnt meth cook on the ground about 50 feet away. His wife runs over, and after a short convo about the ambulance not arriving for 45 minutes, they decide it's best to put the guy out of his misery by shooting him in the head. I would think at this point they would have got the hell out of dodge, but no, they wait around for the Tribal police.

When the police arrive, they assess the situation and then state that shooting the guy was probably for the best (!!!), and that it would probably be best if Casey takes the slide off his Glock and exchanges it with one of the police officers so the shooting can't get traced back to Casey, you know, by the police. The only reason I could think of that they would do this is to gain possession of the gun slide in an effort to do a ballistics match on the bullets they pulled out of the first shooting victim so they could pin the shooting on Casey, even though Casey had just admitted to shooting someone else, and the police offered to conspire to cover it up instead. This is a bizarre and contrived chain of events. But that's not all re: Casey.

Soon after, Casey is now driving along with his son in the truck after taking him out for target practice (even though they live on remote property where it is apparently OK to detonate explosives but not practice shooting jugs of water), when they just so happen to spot a suspicious white van parked a bit off the road. Casey says that because the van is parked on the reservation, it must be criminals, and he has to stop to intervene. He gets out of the truck and approaches the van when suddenly a man in a gas mask and white coveralls bursts out of the back of the van. Casey immediately puts two rounds in him, killing him. This guy can't go a day without shooting someone, apparently, and not once during any of these instances does it seem like a big deal to him. Suddenly, he decides it's time to take his son out of his vehicle, and stuff him in a drain pipe in a culvert next to the road. My wife and I looked at each other and started laughing when this happened. What the?? No parent would do this. Ever. Your kid is in a vehicle with doors that can lock, but you stuff your kid into a drain pipe in the scrublands?

Casey then gives chase and whoops! There is a rattlesnake in the drain pipe...because of course there is. The van driver gets in a car accident, flops out of the van and starts running while wildly firing a pistol behind him. Casey catches him and shoots him dead, but not before lassoing him and making him fall and hit his head on a rock. He opens the van. saves a kidnapping victim, who instantly states they need to cover up the crime and never tell anyone about it (???), and please take me home. They go back to the truck, picking up the 8 year old from the drain pipe, who has of course killed the 5 ft prairie rattler with his bare hands or a rock or something, Casey drops of his kid, takes the girl home, and is greeted by a very large man who, although he is a complete stranger, immediately hatches a plan with Casey to dispose of the bodies. When it gets dark, they go out into the middle of nowhere to burn and then bury the bodies. Well at least no one will ever find the bodies...

Until the very next day when a construction crew go out to the exact location in the middle of nowhere to go quantity surveying, and happen across the burial site immediately.

I am trying to think how this episode could be any more contrived... maybe have the crazy angry girl in the show suddenly strip nude while arguing with her brother (ewww), and then climb into a horse trough with two bottles of champagne? That works!

(Don't forget the medical examiner I mentioned before being secretly addicted to smoking embalming fluid, and therefore making authorities wonder if he in fact committed suicide or was the victim of a murder/arson cover up.

Actually, you are right - nothing in 90s soaps was anywhere near this contrived!

You ready? You look ready.
That’s a long post. I skimmed it real quick but i’ll look at it better once i get home. i’m scramming out the work door rn

but it sounds like your problem with how things are going is the believability of police corruption. i dunno. cops being corrupt seems pretty believable to me.

edit: i also suggest to keep watching because corruption kinda becomes the driving force for that first season

@Sedai

Maybe I am being a little harsh, but I was thinking of stuff like early/mid 90s DooL, where bad things would just keep randomly happening to characters in rapid succession.

Case in point with Yellowstone:

In the pilot, the escalation of the cattle dispute was believable and made sense. So when Lee got shot by a hothead ex-military native with a chip on his shoulder, it made sense, as did Casey's response, as he is ex-mil also. Now let's look at the chain of events surrounding Casey in the days that follow:

A medical examiner determines that Lee couldn't have fired in self defense, and that there must have been a third shooter. Because of Casey's ex-mil status, he is the first guy the Res Police target as a possible shooter. This makes sense, but isn't water tight, as the area is populated by ranchers and cowboys who are armed to the teeth, with I am sure plenty of firearm skill. Still, it makes sense he would come up and be a person of interest. What follows borders on the absurd.

Casey and his wife and driving in his pickup. They drive by a trailer that just at that very moment, happens to explode. Turns out it was a meth lab, so Casey jumps out of the truck to investigate, and soon finds a horribly burnt meth cook on the ground about 50 feet away. His wife runs over, and after a short convo about the ambulance not arriving for 45 minutes, they decide it's best to put the guy out of his misery by shooting him in the head. I would think at this point they would have got the hell out of dodge, but no, they wait around for the Tribal police.

When the police arrive, they assess the situation and then state that shooting the guy was probably for the best (!!!), and that it would probably be best if Casey takes the slide off his Glock and exchanges it with one of the police officers so the shooting can't get traced back to Casey, you know, by the police. The only reason I could think of that they would do this is to gain possession of the gun slide in an effort to do a ballistics match on the bullets they pulled out of the first shooting victim so they could pin the shooting on Casey, even though Casey had just admitted to shooting someone else, and the police offered to conspire to cover it up instead. This is a bizarre and contrived chain of events. But that's not all re: Casey.

Soon after, Casey is now driving along with his son in the truck after taking him out for target practice (even though they live on remote property where it is apparently OK to detonate explosives but not practice shooting jugs of water), when they just so happen to spot a suspicious white van parked a bit off the road. Casey says that because the van is parked on the reservation, it must be criminals, and he has to stop to intervene. He gets out of the truck and approaches the van when suddenly a man in a gas mask and white coveralls bursts out of the back of the van. Casey immediately puts two rounds in him, killing him. This guy can't go a day without shooting someone, apparently, and not once during any of these instances does it seem like a big deal to him. Suddenly, he decides it's time to take his son out of his vehicle, and stuff him in a drain pipe in a culvert next to the road. My wife and I looked at each other and started laughing when this happened. What the?? No parent would do this. Ever. Your kid is in a vehicle with doors that can lock, but you stuff your kid into a drain pipe in the scrublands?

Casey then gives chase and whoops! There is a rattlesnake in the drain pipe...because of course there is. The van driver gets in a car accident, flops out of the van and starts running while wildly firing a pistol behind him. Casey catches him and shoots him dead, but not before lassoing him and making him fall and hit his head on a rock. He opens the van. saves a kidnapping victim, who instantly states they need to cover up the crime and never tell anyone about it (???), and please take me home. They go back to the truck, picking up the 8 year old from the drain pipe, who has of course killed the 5 ft prairie rattler with his bare hands or a rock or something, Casey drops of his kid, takes the girl home, and is greeted by a very large man who, although he is a complete stranger, immediately hatches a plan with Casey to dispose of the bodies. When it gets dark, they go out into the middle of nowhere to burn and then bury the bodies. Well at least no one will ever find the bodies...

Until the very next day when a construction crew go out to the exact location in the middle of nowhere to go quantity surveying, and happen across the burial site immediately.

I am trying to think how this episode could be any more contrived... maybe have the crazy angry girl in the show suddenly strip nude while arguing with her brother (ewww), and then climb into a horse trough with two bottles of champagne? That works!

(Don't forget the medical examiner I mentioned before being secretly addicted to smoking embalming fluid, and therefore making authorities wonder if he in fact committed suicide or was the victim of a murder/arson cover up.

Actually, you are right - nothing in 90s soaps was anywhere near this contrived!
I completely agree. Still like it, though.

I went way over the top for humor about a show that is basically the modern version of Dallas. hopefully you got the joke! You make fair points in your video, my favorite part of which is how happy you seem to be today, which makes me happy!

Just quickly, the main thrust of my argument isn't about the corruption, but the crazy chain of events that happen to Casey in such a sort period of time etc.

Lastly, I hope your fingers are weak from practicing the guitar!