Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I loved this book Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy.
I have never read his works but I highly enjoy films based of him and other classic writers from that time period.

I loved this book Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy.
I do like the book as well. It’s so shockingly dark for its time (he got a lot of flack for that). I’m opposite, I have read all Hardy works but tend to dislike the film versions.

Quite keen on this.

I was going to call it excellent, but then the last ten minutes happened. It’s a bit of an overload with too much going on, but I still think it’s mostly very good and has clearly taken notes from all the failures of the last twenty years.
I still think horror as a genre is evolving like perhaps little else. It’s a pretty accomplished piece, though I do see how such things both stigmatise mental health issues and give therapists a bad rap. I suppose I’m one of those weird ****ed-up people who don’t believe in “concern”. I can understand people messing with others’ plans and business as a plot device, although even that is quite lazy, but generally I feel like the human brain will soon evolve to not share one’s struggles with anyone, for any reason, because the response is never helpful and usually a nuisance.
It does have more jump scares than a lot of the things I’ve seen recently.

I do like the book as well. It’s so shockingly dark for its time (he got a lot of flack for that). I’m opposite, I have read all Hardy works but tend to dislike the film versions.
You didn’t like the original Far From the Madding Crowd? One of my fave movies.

Polanski’s Tess was also good.

You didn’t like the original Far From the Madding Crowd? One of my fave movies.

Polanski’s Tess was also good.
Actually, you got me there - yes, I did like Tess. I can’t really say about Far From the Madding Crowd - it’s a timeless classic and I see the skill, but I can’t say I personally liked it that much. Jude the Obscure is a novel I love and one I think was way, way ahead of its time, but it never seemed very adaptation-friendly to me. I think it’s genuinely dark, a Dostoyevsky-level horror-psychodrama, incest, killer/suicidal children and all (that’s honestly my assessment), and it never feels like anyone wants to go in that direction with Hardy.

Actually, you got me there - yes, I did like Tess. I can’t really say about Far From the Madding Crowd - it’s a timeless classic and I see the skill, but I can’t say I personally liked it that much. Jude the Obscure is a novel I love and one I think was way, way ahead of its time, but it never seemed very adaptation-friendly to me. I think it’s genuinely dark, a Dostoyevsky-level horror-psychodrama, incest, killer/suicidal children and all (that’s honestly my assessment), and it never feels like anyone wants to go in that direction with Hardy.
I’ve read Jude. Fairly sure I haven’t seen the movie for some reason.

I’m a huge Julie Christie & Terence Stamp fan & they made the movie for me. Hated the remake.

I’ve read Jude. Fairly sure I haven’t seen the movie for some reason.

I’m a huge Julie Christie & Terence Stamp fan & they made the movie for me. Hated the remake.
I assumed you would have read it, yes! I was just trying to illustrate that to me it’s because it’s so dark that it’s hard to adapt. But then with all novels we like, we have a version in our mind which is hard for any adaptation to match, I think.

I assumed you would have read it, yes! I was just trying to illustrate that to me it’s because it’s so dark that it’s hard to adapt. But then with all novels we like, we have a version in our mind which is hard for any adaptation to match, I think.
There was a Jude mini-series in 1971 starring Robert Powell. I’ve read it was very acclaimed.

There was a Jude mini-series in 1971 starring Robert Powell. I’ve read it was very acclaimed.
I need to watch that. Don’t think I’ve seen it.

Am going to an Andrea Bocelli concert tonight. Trying to disconnect.

The Virgin Suicides. A so called rewatch. i have the intro on pause now. I hope to see one more movie later tonight.

Lost in Translation is 20 years in 2023.

I need to watch that. Don’t think I’ve seen it.

Am going to an Andrea Bocelli concert tonight. Trying to disconnect.
I’m sure it would seem very clunky by our standards today. Is Robert Powell still alive? Must check.

Nothing would make me go to a Bocelli concert, but enjoy!

The Virgin Suicides. A so called rewatch. i have the intro on pause now. I hope to see one more movie later tonight.

Lost in Translation is 20 years in 2023.
Two terrific movies.

I’m sure it would seem very clunky by our standards today. Is Robert Powell still alive? Must check.

Nothing would make me go to a Bocelli concert, but enjoy!
Some bits were good. The presence of Nicole Scherzinger… was not.