Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Believer (Henry Bean, 2001)

This is a highly-complex and provocative film looking at Neo-Naziism, anti-semitism and orthodox Judaism in ways which few films have ever attempted, and as far as I know, none have ever succeeded as well. It's loosely based on a true case from the 1960s where a KKK member turned out to be a Jew who wanted to kill Jews for racial reasons and how he was exposed by a New York Times reporter. The Believer seems to be brought up to date, but the central character, Danny (Ryan Gosling in a breakthrough performance), is full of contradictions and internal strife. He truly hates and wants to kill Jews, even though (or more correctly, because) he was raised as a devout orthodox Jew. However, now he's a skinhead and spends his time with fascists who have no idea of his background. He's the most violent person in the film and he does have self-loathing, but whether it's for himself or only his people is something the film portrays expertly.

Part of what makes this film so good is that it doesn't tread familiar territory. Sure, there are violent skinhead outbursts, but they're followed by philosophical discussions on fascism, Judaism and the possibility that they may be more related than you could imagine. This film is not afraid to dig deep into something it seems to know more about than anyone who is not a devout orthodox Jew. In fact, it's difficult to tell if Gosling is great because of his inner presence or because of all the complexities his character is given in a truly first-rate screenplay. I tend to believe both reasons contribute to his strong performance. He's almost matched by the youngest member of the acting Phoenix family, Summer. She plays the daughter of a neo-fascist mother (Theresa Russell), but once she learns that Danny is a Jew and has a copy of a Torah, she becomes obsessed with the words written by the hand of God and even gets Danny to teach her Hebrew. She tries to get Danny to become a better Jew because she wants to find out if it's better than all the things she's been raised on because she needs to find something better than fascist catch phrases and free-and-not-so-easy sex. I liked The Believer the first time I watched it, but it took a second viewing for me to realize just how powerful and thought-provoking it truly is.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Hatari! (Howard Hawks, 1962)

Full Moon in Paris (Éric Rohmer, 1984)

Bedlam (Mark Robson, 1946)

The Nice Guys (Shane Black, 2016)
-

During a shootout, Ryan Gosling tries to share his weapon with fellow shamus Russell Crowe.
Now You See Me 2 (Jon M. Chu, 2016)

The Marquise of O (Éric Rohmer, 1976)
+
Public Hero #1 (J. Walter Ruben, 1935)

Bob Roberts (Tim Robbins, 1992)

Mockumentary about singing conservative senatorial candidate Bob Roberts (Tim Robbins) who keeps plenty of secrets from the public while recreating popular music videos – here it’s Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues” crossed with the Robert Palmer oeuvre.
30 Days of Night (David Slade, 2007)
+
Independence Day: Resurgence (Roland Emmerich, 2016)
+
Mahogany (Berry Gordy, 1975)

The Taming of the Shrew (Franco Zefferelli, 1967)

Shrewish Kate (Elizabeth Taylor) wants to do her usual bitching but her new husband Petruchio (Richard Burton) just wants her to kiss him.
Mr. Accident (Yahoo Serious, 2000)

Wiener-Dog (Todd Solondz, 2016)

A Foreign Affair (Billy Wilder, 1948)

Stray Cat Rock: Delinquent Girl Boss (Yasuharu Hasebe, 1970)

Tall biker girl Akiko Wada joins forces with the leader (Meiko Kaji) of a girl gang to defeat their rivals.
The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye (Marie Losier, 2011)

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford (Stephen Roberts, 1936)

Slaughter (Jack Starrett, 1972)

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (Pete Hewitt, 1991)
-

Incompetent superheroes Bill (Alex Winter) & Ted (Keanu Reeves) must battle evil android assassins of themselves, but when the heroes are killed, they’re met by Death (William Sadler) who they easily defeat at several board games and who becomes their slave, helping them to return to Earth

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Stray Cat Rock: Delinquent Girl Boss (Yasuharu Hasebe, 1970)
Pretty high rating for you. I saw all parts. All
for me.

Attack! (1956) -

I was getting into it thinking it's an anti-war film, but it really wasn't one, even though the middle sequence works pretty well as one. Generally, it would've been perfect (5 stars) if not for the ending. I wish they kept the ending of the play.

Kameradschaft [Comradeship] (1931) -

One year after his striking anti-war drama Westfront 1918 Pabst decides to make another film screaming for peace and reconciliation and succeeds completely.

I vitelloni (1953) -

Well, it was pretty good. Mighty disjointed and all over the place at the beginning, the main plotline emerges a good hour in, but the rest is nothing less of good. I especially loved the part with Moraldo and the little kid. Seemingly irrelevant three scenes packed quite an emotional punch at the end of the film.

La Strada (1954) -
- REWATCH

I had a problem with Masina's character looking and behaving like a retard till I found out the truth. For some reason this fact didn't allow me to really get emotionally engaged with her character. Still, when I (and Quinn) found out what happened, I saddened. The famous beach scene was a nice conclusion, but even though very good, I can't say this is one of the best movies ever like my friends. Well, I still can't understand why I hated this movie in 2012.

Maniac Cop 2 (1990) -

Not as good as part one, but still a lot of fun and quality entertainment! On to part 3. PS: Kinky GIF!

Жизнь, осень [Life, Autumn] (1999) -

Decent documentary from Loznitsa (one of his first), but he done better after this.

EDIT: Just realized there was a spoiler in my post. Fixed.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

August lowlights ... try to balance things out a little as opposed to just posting the good stuff for a change...

Kuroyuri danchi [The complex] (2013)
+
Family Business (1989)
+
Deathwatch (2002)

Passchendaele (2008)
+
47 Ronin (2013)
+
Vi är bäst! [We Are The Best] (2013)
+
Odd Thomas (2013)
+

Vi är bäst! [We Are The Best] (2013)
+
That's surprising. I've been thinking about watching this after seeing Lilya since it is on Netflix and has gotten really good reviews.

That's surprising. I've been thinking about watching this after seeing Lilya since it is on Netflix and has gotten really good reviews.
Give it a go - simply didn't do much for me at all but I know it's been relatively well received in general so it would appear I'm the deformed gummy-bear in the packet on this one

Care for some gopher?
Tropa de elite 2 Elite Squad 2 (José Padilha, 2010) -
+
Tootsie (Sydney Pollack, 1982) -

Le notti di Cabiria [Nights of Cabiria] (1957) -

Best Fellini! I loved it more than La Strada and that says something (I'm thinking about bumping La Strada's rating to 4.5 anyway, though). Masina is wonderful here. Well, she was already wonderful in La Strada with those Chaplinesque mimicks, but I think that here she went even further giving an incredible performance. The illusionist scene is so poignant. Apparently, this is half-drama and half-comedy, but I didn't find anything funny here, but I don't worry about it, because that's a common thing for me. Wonderful bittersweet ending with Masina breaking the fourth wall.

(1963) -
- REWATCH

Well, here I can at least see why I hated it the first time. The movie is incredibly chaotic, even for a Fellini film. There's almost too much happening and the film is very personal to the director, so it requires a lot of empathy to connect with it. The cornucopia of symbols is probably impossible to get just after one watch, but what really stands out here is the ravishing cinematography, beautiful women (Claudia Cardinale!!!) and badass Marcello Mastroianni. I still prefer Pastoral: To Die In the Country (arguably inspired by Eight and a Half) when it comes to movies like this, but I can't see why 8 1/2 shouldn't be considered a masterpiece.

Ladri di biciclette [Bicycle Thieves] (1948) -
- REWATCH

Incredibly simple even for an Italian Neorealism movie. Still, the movie has a lot to say and does it perfectly. It's genuinely touching and very honest. I still prefer Umberto D, but this is a masterpiece, anyway. My guess is that the first time I watched this I didn't really understand what De Sica was trying to achieve here and was therefore let down. I can still see many people complaining about the lack of ending, obviously clearly missing the point. My guess is I missed it in 2013, too. Or maybe I just had shi*ty taste back then.

Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014) -

Well, I, of course, hated the first one and went into this one with 100% certainty I will hate it, too. It's just that after I've seen three total masterpieces today I was very close to Stendhal syndrome, so I had to watch something terrible to get the ying-yang balanced again, if I may say so myself. Well, this is terrible, but I'm pretty sure there's a group of people that loves movies like this. The problem for me is that this is a new film. And mind you, I don't hate it only for being new. It's just that I love old, bad B-movies, because they had some class to them, or by today's standards are more quaint, obsolete and therefore abstract and in result more enjoyable. Not sure if I'm making any sense right now. In case I'm not, then let me remind you of my abstinence and loneliness.

Земля [Earth] (1930) -

Арсенал [Arsenal] (1929) -

<Guap mode on>
Tarkovsky loved these movies, so it's natural these are masterpieces.
<Guap mode off>

Now that Tarkovsky loved Earth actually does mean something to me and helps to understand the visible bounds between cinematical inspirations. Dovzhenko is a Soviet cinema pioneer and obviously his films were supposed to be and were propaganda, but I'd rather compare him to avangard Dziga Vertov than arguably the most known Sergei Eisenstein. Under the propaganda flare there's a whole new world of poetic maestry full of symbolism and visual majesty.

It shouldn't be anything new that Tarkovsky loved Dovzhenko as their films are very alike. Earth and Arsenal abandon the idea of linear easy-to-follow plot to show ostensibly incoherent events thanks to the montage build on juxtaposition and extreme face close-ups. The result resembles a more poetic Vertov.

Both Earth and Arsenal were made as propaganda films to encourage Ukrainian peasants to collectivize their land and join Ukraine to USSR, but thanks to Dovzhenko's skills became something more. The unstoppable turn of events occurs as when a man dies, child is born and when the cruel man flogs a horse, shortly after that the peasant collapses. The Earth ends with the image of apples in the rain. One of the most visually striking and spoiler-free endings of all time!

魔法少女まどか☆マギカ [Puella Magi Madoka Magica] (2011) -

Now that's what I call a titillating rifle!

I wanted to write fake impressions and rate it one star to see Guap's reaction, but then thought of possible consequences of him writing the longest post MoFo ever seen and creating the biggest pean in the name of anime and little magical girls the world has ever witnessed. Naturally, it would be fun to see him trolled, but at the same time it would bring a lot of confusion and anger to other users of these forums. So. thinking about their, and also Guap's, mental health I abandoned the idea.

Guaporense is a weird dude. His favourite anime have little girls in them and he glorifies PMMM whenever possible, which led me and some MoFos into thinking that he works as the advertiser for PMMM's publisher. After seeing the twelve episode TV series version of the anime I sort of got why he is so excited, but there's a thin line between excitement and zeal to scream out loudly: "This is the best movie ever!!!".

Hump you very much!

Needless to say, I eventually fell for Guaporense's charm and watched the thing. The length allows it to create a really good story and interesting world (worlds?) of ordinary girls turning into magical witch-fighters. Don't let the cute visuals deceive you. PMMM is dark, heavy, even sinister psychological drama. It's got amazing twists, great sub-plots, lesbian references, Faustian theme and a lot of moral dilammas protagonists have to face. The idea of a world within a world and therefore different animation style for the 'other' world is really beautiful and creates a trippy atmosphere. The mind-tuggling time episode is really nice, but I felt like the ending, although really good, is too much. It's like trying to be metaphysical too much.

And in that final hour of revelation, when the universe is being recreated, the very spirit of anime magic ejaculates from the screen and metaphysical power should embrace my cinephile heart I'm staring at Madoka's boobies and wondering why doesn't she have nipples on them. DAFUQ.

Yeah, the protagonist even wanted to design her costume and made a drawing of it in her notebook. xD
Browsing through some of my old (2014) posts in this thread. Wow, I used to be much funnier and inventive!

August, 2016 movies watched-

A good month for me with several movies I loved.

The Lower Depths (1957)
My least favorite out of all the Kurosawa/Mifune collaborations I've seen.

The Bridge (1959)
- A different kind of war film featuring not so ready teens.

Fires on the Plain (1959)
+ Another unique and solid war film, but very slow.

Deadpool (2016)
A mixed bag.

Ivan the Terrible Part I (1945)
+*For me, this was a good deal above average for historical/costume drama.

Ivan the Terrible Part II (1958)
Still not my normal taste, but this was a pretty good continuation.

Early Summer (1951)
Beautifully done, with a great performance from Setsuko Hara.

Brink of Life (1958)
Simple and effective Bergman film.

My Man Godfrey (1936)
Extremely well done classic rom-com.

Pieces (1982)
A good bad movie, and a must see for slasher fans.

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
One of those rare magical movies that gave me a special feeling.

Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh and Blood
There's really no reason for this movie to exist other than to disgust. It does that.

Everybody Wants Some (2016)
Great music and great times.

Oklahoma! (1955)
Too many musical numbers for me, but otherwise pretty good.

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
This had me very entertained and I loved the direction it went in at the end.

Some Came Running (1958)
+ Great cast and characters, and a memorable ending.

The Crowd (1928)
- Deeply moving silent film about ordinary people.

Amour (2012)
+ Not enjoyable, but it is very effective.

Star Wars (1977) Repeat viewing
A great movie combined with my fond memories.

The Empire Strikes Back (1980) Repeat viewing
- Probably as good as the first, but missing the nostalgia I feel for Star Wars.

Interstellar (2014)
The last third let me down just a little bit. Otherwise, it was awesome.

Tokyo Twilight (1957)
+ Easily the darkest and heaviest Ozu movie I've seen.

Scarlet Street (1945)
- Darkly hilarious noir that takes a not so funny dark turn.

Bereavement (2010)
+ Ok horror movie saved by the crazy last 20 minutes.

Death Weekend aka The House By the Lake (1976)
- Very nice grindhouse style.

Demolition (2015)
This was good, but I thought it had American Beauty type of potential.

Diary of a Lost Girl (1929)
- I'm pretty new with silent films, and the heavy content has surprised me.

Gone with the Wind (1939)
+ I didn't love every minute of it's 4 hours, but there's still plenty to love.

This is England (2006)
- Gritty British movie that's sort of a coming of age tale.

Total August viewings-29
Total 2016 viewings-230

I forgot to tab the movies I watched in July, so here's
Everything I watched In July and August
(Thoughts posted in my Movie Log)

July

The Big Short (Adam McKay, 2015)
-
Mower Minions (Short) (2016)
-
The Secret Life of Pets (Yarrow Cheney and Chris Renaud, 2016)
+
Wild Strawberries (Smultronstället) (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)

Written On the Wind (Douglas Sirk, 1956)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Don Siegel,1956)

Androcles and the Lion (Chester Erskin and Nicholas Ray, 1952)

The Seventh Seal (Det sjunde inseglet) (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)

Seven Samurai (Shichinin no samurai) (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
-

August

12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)

Rebel Without A Cause (Nicholas Ray, 1955)
-
Smiles of a Summer Night (Sommarnattens leende) (Ingmar Bergman, 1955)
+
Brink Of Life (Nära livet) (Ingmar Bergman, 1958)

Room At the Top (Jack Clayton, 1959)
-
Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder, 1957)

Throne of Blood (Kumonosu-jô) (Akira Kurosawa, 1957)
+
East of Eden (Elia Kazan, 1955)

On the Waterfront (Elia Kazan, 1954)
-
Mary and Max. (Adam Elliot, 2009) (Rewatch)

The Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le pacte des loups) (Christophe Gans, 2001) (Rewatch)
+
Rocky (John J. Alvidsend, 1976)
+
The Blob (Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr. and Russell S. Doughten Jr., 1958)
-
Lifted (Gary Rydstrom, 2006) (Rewatch)
+
Ratatouille (Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava, 2007) (Rewatch)

August 2016 Watches:

Amour -

Best of Enemies -
+
Ali: Fear Eats The Soul -
+
Sicario -

Army of Darkness -

Searching For Sugar Man -
+
Star Trek: Generations -

Hedwig And The Angry Inch -
+
Dick Tracy -

Finding Dory -

You're Next
+
The Big Combo -

House of Wax -
+
The Cranes Are Flying -
+
The Blob -

Listen To Me Marlon -
+
The Producers -
+
Harvey -
-
Maniac -
+
Tootsie -

Missing -
-
Horror Of Dracula -
+
Isle of Flowers -
+
East of Eden -

Inside Llewyn Davis
+
The Heat

Dark Victory
-
A Prophet -
+
Airplane -
-
Bull Durham -

Roman Holiday -

Think me and gbg swapped accounts on that one. It just feels wrong that she likes it more than me haha.

Well i'm watching a Hammer Film today. Not a monster one, well i don't think it is anyway. The Nanny, Citizen nominated it for me in the movie challenge.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
August

The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

A History of Violence (2005)

Ugetsu Monogatari (1953)

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

A Face in the Crowd (1957)
+
A Man Escaped (1956)

Behemoth (2015)
+
Andre’s Eyes (2015)

Brothers (2015)
+
Volta à Terra (2014)

Deadpool (2016)
-
Sorority Boys (2002)

16 and Missing (2015)

Zombieland (2009)
-
Dead Man’s Shoes (2004)

Lilja 4-ever (2002)

My Man Godfrey (1936)
-
In a World (2013)

Cul-de-Sac (1966)

Deuce Bigalow: American Gigolo (1999)

Blade Runner (1982)
-
Ice Age: Collision Course (2016)
-
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

Moonraker (1979)
-
Unforgiven (1992)
+
Asterix & Obelix: God Save Britannia (2012)

Diana (2013)

Adieu au Langage (2014)

Lost in Translation (2003)
+
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)

The Tree of Life (2011)
+

Women in Sink (2015)
-
Selfie from Hell (2015)
+

Month count: 31/2
Year count: 144/8

What did you think of it, Minio?
I find Godard's search for new cinema language incredibly fascinating. One can say his whole career as a director is looking for new means, but it's really apparent from the 80's onwards.