The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I don't understand how Nightmare Before Christmas has got this high already, I hope that shows up next.
You don't understand how a well loved and extremely popular film (even now more than 20 years since its release) got this high? Huh?

pretty much on the shoulders of the Sorcerer's Apprentice and Night on Bald Mountain sequences, Fantasia climbed to #5 on my entry. The Rite of Spring piece is pretty cool to watch too, covering a visual history of earth from the planet's formation, to the first living creatures, to the dinosaurs. I like the imagery in Night on Bald Mountain, especially. Such as these ghosts, the village, & chernabog

You don't understand how a well loved and extremely popular film (even now more than 20 years since its release) got this high? Huh?
I thought I understood it's popularity, but I didn't figure it was loved this much. I figured the 25-50 range.

I thought I understood it's popularity, but I didn't figure it was loved this much. I figured the 25-50 range.
Really? Personally I'd have been shocked if it hadn't at least made #20.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Fantasia was #2 on my list. I love the visuals, the music, and everything else about it. I've never been a big fan of Mickey Mouse, but The Sorcerer's Apprentice is one of the reasons why I love Fantasia.

I'm glad to see it made the list, but I'm surprised it didn't make the top five, or at least the top ten.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
My list so far:

3. Mary and Max
4. Persepolis
6. Waking Life
7. Corpse Bride
12. Vincent
15. Shrek
19. Bambi
23. Howl’s Moving Castle
24. Pinocchio
25. Barnyard

19. How To Train Your Dragon - Voting Stats

Total Points: 353
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
27 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 2nd Place (24 pts.), 3rd Place (23 pts.) Three 4th Place (22 pts. each), 7th Place (19 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), Two 9th Place (17 pts. each), 10th Place (16 pts.), 12th Place (14 pts.), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each), 14th Place (12 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), Two 17th Place (9 pts. each), Two 18th Place (8 pts. each), Three 23rd Place (3 pts. each)

When I first saw the ads for How To Train Your Dragon, I didn't think it looked good and had no intention of seeing it. Dreamworks Animation has a spotty record in terms of the quality of their work and after the dismal Bee Movie and the mediocre Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar 2 and Monsters Vs. Aliens, I was none too keen on seeing another movie from them. I was also bothered by the striking similarity between the facial features of the dragon and those of Disney's Stitch.

After hearing much praise about the film, I ended up blind buying the DVD. My misgivings about the film were unfounded. I loved it. I still think Toothless is a little too Stitch-esque but his endearing personality and the wonderful story won me over. I was, unfortunately, much less enamored with the sequel, but the original is very much deserving of a place on this countdown. I had it at #23.

My List
3. Mary and Max. (#23)
4. Wreck-It Ralph (#27)
6. Surf's Up (#99)
8. Over the Hedge (Near Miss)
9. Chicken Run (#51)
10. Charlotte's Web (#57)
11. Despicable Me (#61)
12. Waltz With Bashir (#26)
16. The Emporer's New Groove (#80)
21. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#42)
22. Lilo & Stitch (#83)
23. How to Train Your Dragon (#19)
24. Bambi (#50)

Missed yesterday's until just now.

Fantasia was my #20.

How To Train Your Dragon is fun, but is another I don't see the "greatness" of.

05. Dumbo (1941) - 49th
07. Coraline (2009) - 36th
08. Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) - 66th
13. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937) - 31st
14. Shrek (2001) - 21st
16. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - 51st
17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th
20. Fantasia (1940) - 20th
21. A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 47th
22. Akira (1988) - 29th
25. Alice In Wonderland (1951) - 33rd

A system of cells interlinked
I had Fantasia at number SEVENTEEN. A childhood classic, but some sections didn't age well for me.

Considering that I'm not big into fantasy, How to Train Your Dragon was a huge surprise for me. I loved it enough for me to have it at #4. I'm disappointed that part 2 won't show up, maybe it's too new.

My list-

3. Rango
4. How to Train Your Dragon
5. Persepolis
7. Animal Farm
8. Wreck-It Ralph
10. Waltz with Bashir
11. The Plague Dogs
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
14. Mary and Max
16. The Wind Rises
17. Pinocchio
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
How to Train Your Dragon was my #22. It gets rated so high for being a real old-fashioned "movie-movie". It's a big-hearted, funny, action-packed adventure which should appeal to both adults and kids (and I should know since I'm both). Besides that, it's an underdog story, and the flying scenes are exhilarating.

I thought the first HTTYD was pretty good and all, but I really prefer How to Train Your Dragon 2. I thought it was quite superior. Also, ask yourself, WHICH GOT THE GOLDEN GLOBE, huh!?

not that it matters at all though, but...

I had How to Train Your Dragon at #4 on my list. Love this movie and I'm glad it's in the top 20. Haven't seen the sequel but plan to rectify that as soon as possible.

How to Train Your Dragon was my number 23, Mark sums it up by well by saying it's a 'movie-movie', lots of action and fun, and an irresistible and touching underdog story too. I thought the sequel was decent, but I thought it was darker and less fun.

How to Train Your Dragon Was My 13. One of the first films that I have seen that made me start to appreciate the medium. (But Psycho was the film that MADE me love movies and made me realize there are so many out there because before, I only watched a movie a month. Now I try to watch one or two a week.)