Just finished round two...

My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Porco Rosso (1992) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Princess Mononoke (1997) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Spirited Away (2001) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

The Hole in the Ground

Rick and Morty: M. Night Shaym-Aliens! (TV, 2014) 6/10

Decent, but a little boring during the Jerry sections for me, though still some laughs to be had. The uses of "My man!" tickled me, probably because Denzel Washington says he got that a lot after being in American Gangster .
  • This show replicates the kick I got from Doctor Who for many years, and it's so inventive and complex that it's a worthy derivation. I'm often reminded of specific stories. Here, Jerry's total acceptance of the fakery – especially the compliant Beth – is a bit like the title character of Rose (2005) being oblivious that her boyfriend has obviously been replaced by a living plastic replica (with excellent, subtle makeup design); also the insectoid Zigerions and their attempts to find out Rick's formula took me back to the audio story The Creed of the Kromon (2004).

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

Powerful take down of the American Dream with assorted (desperate) real estate salesmen. They are all vying to save their sorry @sses. Genuinely touching in parts, in others quite stagey in a Mamet way. The casting is impeccable. Really enjoyed it and seeing the actors bounce off each other.

Moonlight (2016)

Second watching. The tale still holds it poignancy. A gutsy movie.

Rick and Morty: Meeseeks and Destroy (TV, 2014) 8/10

I love the way this one escalates .

The Meeseeks are a great creation – I like their shrill voices and speech patterns, which aren't that far off from standout, individual characters like Mr Poopybutthole or Noob Noob . Nice that the concurrent happenings in this one are equally good, with the dark undertones in Rick and Morty's adventure just edging it.

Would rather have been watching season 5 of Better Call Saul.
I can't wait for the release. It's so underrated. Goodman is the most interesting character IMO.
I'm also dying for Cobra Kai. They made the series look childish but that's the nostalgia of it all.

El Camino (2019)

OK, bit unnecessary but still a good catch up with Jesse. Just like an extended episode really.

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie 2019 Directed by Vince Gilligan
+
85/100

The film itself was good quality, and was well directed and photographed, although I was never a fan of Aaron Paul's character, "Jesse", who became the featured story in the film. He did a great job, but perhaps it could be the casting for my taste. Contrast him with Jonathan Banks' "Mike" who dominates every scene he's in. We also slightly labored under the handicap of not having seen the full last Breaking Bad season. So to me "El Camino" does not hold up real well as a stand-alone feature, unless one has closely followed the series. Still, we did enjoy it.

I note the title is phrased "A" Breaking Bad Movie, not "The" Breaking bad movie. Consequently it makes me wonder if there might be another one.

~Doc