The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

OK, trying to catch up on some of these eligibility questions.

No Country for Old Men was the last one we had officially up for debate. By my count there were six MoFos who thought it shouldn't count and four that believed it should (or at least didn't strenuously object).

We can keep batting it around, but for anything that close I'd err on the side of caution and simply exclude it. Unless somebody wants to make an impassioned plea why Joel & Ethan Coen's No Country for Old Men absolutely must be included I'm going to add it to the no-no side of the list. I feel like an NFL ref unpholding a call. Had the IMDb already listed it as a Western I don't think I would kick it off, but since it wasn't included by them and the vote is split pretty evenly we'll keep it ineligible.

As for some of the others that were mentioned in passing over the past several pages, these are the obvious ones I don't think warrant serious discussion. YES, The Revenant, The Frisco Kid, City Slickers, Hud, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and Back to the Future Part III are Westerns for the purposes of this exercise. NO, there is no chance How Green Was My Valley is a Western and I'm not even sure why somebody would ask unless they are confusing it with another title?

Some of the others we can look at more closely. Starting with two of these Civil War set titles...

Eligibility Debates
The Beguiled

Film set during the Civil War would by in large be ineligible. Movies such as Gone with the Wind and Glory are clearly not Westerns. There are certainly Westerns set at the end of the war, impacted by the lasting spectre of the war, or even during the Civil War, including The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Dances with Wolves though all of those titles clearly move their narratives away from the East coast and to the frontier. Whether we are looking at Don Siegel's The Beguiled (1971) starring Clint Eastwood and Geraldine Page or Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled (2017) starring Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman, neither are set on the frontier. The 1971 version is set in Mississippi while the 2017 remake in Virginia. Most obviously the story is a Southern Gothic piece. Had the wounded soldier found a secluded girl's school in Missouri or Montana I could see arguing for sneaking it in as a Western. As is I don't think it qualifies.

If anybody can lay out their reasoning for why it should be included, other than Clint Eastwood has an old-timey revolver in it, please do. My instinct would be to disallow both versions of The Beguiled.

The IMDb lists the genres as Drama, Thriller, and War for the 1971 version, Drama and Thriller for the 2017 version.

The General

As for Buster Keaton's 1925 classic The General, again we have a movie set during the Civil War. Right at the outbreak of the War, actually, in Georgia. Keaton's locomotive engineer must steal his train and save his fiancée, based loosely on an actual event known as The Great Locomotive Chase. It is an undisputed masterpiece, funny and thrilling, placing all the way at number two on the recent MoFo Top 50 Pre-'30s list. But other than having a choo-choo train speeding through wilderness and a little gunplay and canon fire I'm not sure why it should qualify as a Western? It was filmed in Oregon but is set in Georgia, which is not the American West.

Again, unless somebody can clearly explain why it belongs to the Western genre I would probably lean towards excluding it.

The IMDb lists its many genres as Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, War, and Western.

What thinkest thou, MoFos?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Unfortunately I’d agree that the General probably isn’t a Western. It certainly has the “feel” of a Western, though.

The Beguiled I would say is a period for me.

I would argue though that No Country For Old Men is a western. Just one set in the modern day.

NO, there is no chance How Green Was My Valley is a Western and I'm not even sure why somebody would ask unless they are confusing it with another title?
Yes, I was confusing it with My Darling Clementine. Both great movies but no debate here.

The Beguiled

Film set during the Civil War would by in large be ineligible. Movies such as Gone with the Wind and Glory are clearly not Westerns. There are certainly Westerns set at the end of the war, impacted by the lasting specter of the war, or even during the Civil War, including The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Dances with Wolves though all of those titles clearly move their narratives away from the East coast and to the frontier. Whether we are looking at Don Siegel's The Beguiled (1971) starring Clint Eastwood and Geraldine Page or Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled (2017) starring Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman, neither are set on the frontier. The 1971 version is set in Mississippi while the 2017 remake in Virginia. Most obviously the story is a Southern Gothic piece. Had the wounded soldier found a secluded girl's school in Missouri or Montana I could see arguing for sneaking it in as a Western. As is I don't think it qualifies.

If anybody can lay out their reasoning for why it should be included, other than Clint Eastwood has an old timely revolver in it, please do. My instinct would be to disallow both versions of The Beguiled.
I love it, the Eastwood version, but I don't see it as a western. I only asked because it's on the current westerns list for whatever reason.

I vote a strong no on The General.

While we're on the subject of "unconventional" Westerns, I feel I should remind people that Bubba Ho-Tep counts as a Western according to IMDb.

Another title for the "is this a Western" pile would be Logan. It's not tagged as Western on IMDb, but it's drawn enough comparisons to the genre with its use of tropes and settings (to say nothing of how the film and its characters openly invoke Shane as an influence) that it may merit consideration.
I guess I could see why someone might consider Logan a western (I don't) but doing that to Bubba Ho-Tep is surely one of the great mysteries of life (and IMDb). I don't see anything western-like in it.

The National Film Registry does not bother to label films by genre. That was just me looking at their list and reconciling it with what the IMDb lists as Westerns.

We have already accepted Treasure of the Sierra Madre as a Western for the purposes of this MoFo list/ballot. Bad Day at Black Rock hasn't been specifically addressed yet but the IMDb (and other sources) cite it is a modern Western.

If Madre and Black Rock are eligible that doesn't mean you have to consider them for YOUR ballot. If they don't meet your personal definition leave them off, even if you love them.
Alright, that makes sense. 'Preciate the explanation.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Holden Pike,
What about movies like The Adventures of the Wilderness Family (1975) and The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974)? I haven't seen these movies since I was a kid, so I may be remembering them wrong, but I think I remember them having western elements. (Or at least they felt like westerns when I was a kid.)

If you think that I'm way off base on these movies, feel free to just say "no" without having any discussion about their eligibility. I haven't seen them in over 40 years, so there's no guarantee that I'd even want them on my list if I rewatch them now.

As I have said, let's try to avoid debating eligibility for the sake of debate.

The IMDb lists The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams as a Western. But instead of playing, 'Hey, is something I sort of remember from my childhood maybe eligible?' why not watch some Westerns over the next six months? In April if this is still on your short list, let's address it then. If after Ford and Peckinpah and Hawks and Eastwood you still think Grizzly Adams is one of the best twenty-five Westerns you have ever seen, more power to ya.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
As I have said, let's try to avoid debating eligibility for the sake of debate.

The IMDb lists The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams as a Western. But instead of playing, 'Hey, is something I sort of remember from my childhood maybe eligible?' why not watch some Westerns over the next six months? In April if this is still on your short list, let's address it then. If after Ford and Peckinpah and Hawks and Eastwood you still think Grizzly Adams is one of the best twenty-five Westerns you have ever seen, more power to ya.

I was only asking because I remembered liking these movies when I watched them years ago, so I was considering adding them to my watchlist. I just didn't want to waste time watching movies that might not even be eligible.

I'm planning to watch a lot of actual westerns too, even though it's not a genre that I normally watch. I've already added about 30-40 actual westerns to my watchlist, and I already watched 4 of them. (True Grit (1969), Shane (1953), The Quick and The Dead (1995), and The Wild Bunch (1969)). I even found out that the Starz Movie Channels has a Westerns channel that plays a lot of classic westerns, and I have DVRed a bunch of them.

Has anybody here seen Victor Sjöström's The Outlaw And His Wife [Berg-Ejvind och hans hustru] from 1918?

Was one I was hoping to get around to for the pre-30 countdown but sadly never did ..... anyway it's not flagged as a Western on IMDb but the plot does sound rather Western-like and wondering whether or not I should try to bring forward when I plan to watch it if it would in fact qualify for this countdown.

Never seen it. Doesn't look much like it to me. But If you find it, watch it, and like it enough that you think there's a chance it is one of the best 25 Westerns you have ever seen we'll figure it out.

You can't go wrong with these Gregory Peck westerns and they are westerns!

Yellow Sky (1948)

The Gunfighter (1950)

The Bravados (1958)

The Big Country (1958)
Just watched the Gunfighter and actually loved it!

Ok, curiosity killed the cat or more accurately, The Outlaw And His Wife. Glad I finally got round to watching it but nothing in it classifies it as a Western.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
You can't go wrong with these Gregory Peck westerns and they are westerns!

Yellow Sky (1948)

The Gunfighter (1950)

The Bravados (1958)

The Big Country (1958)
Yellow Sky is a great film and the other three are on my watchlist. Especially Big Country.