The Aviator (d. Martin Scorsese, 2004)

Tools    

"Ladies and Gentlemen; Howard Hughes."

Yes, that's right: the trailer's now ONLINE.

It doesn't really look like a Scorsese picture though, does it?

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
It doesn't really look like a Scorsese picture though, does it?
No, it looks nothing like a Scorsese picture. To be honest, I didn't really like the trailer, but, I will still be seeing the film just because Mr. Scorsese is the director.

I must become Caligari..!
From the trailer the film doesn't look the best, But you can never judge a film by its trailer.

Now the whole "Teen-Idol" thing around Leo has died he is really been able to shine. He is a fantstic actor.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

There are pictures of him in this film that remind me of Ray Liotta in GoodFellas.

Let's hope that his future will shine more brightly.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Bug Planet Proximus
I am really really afraid that Leonardo Di Caprio is becoming Scorsese's new De Niro. Has anyone got any fresh information on The Departed?

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
Has anyone got any fresh information on The Departed?
I haven't heard anything new. I've seen the Infernal Affairs trilogy, and I'm glad it will be an adaptation of all three combined. I like the original movies and don't see immediately why they need to be remade, but of course I'm sure Scorsese sees something in there for him that he can make his own. DiCaprio and Damon have been the only two cast members attached, but it's really a four character piece. Two older male leads are needed as well. Hopefully he can finally match up with DeNiro again, and I'd rather see Bobby as the policeman rather than the criminal. And as for his counterpart? I dunno. Could be anybody, really. Having DeNiro square-off against Keitel again could be fun. I've always liked Ed Harris a lot, and would love to see what he could do in a Scorsese film. We'll see.

This would be a big crime epic, akin to Heat in length and scope more like The Godfathers in structure.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hey Holden

I went to my local library and borrowed New York, New York and on the back of the VHS version it says "Acclaimed director Martin Scorsese (The Godfather) teams Academy Award winners Liza Minnelli and Reberto De Niro in this splashy, flashy musical spectacle celebrating the glorious days of The Big Band Era in The Big Apple."

Why does it say The Godfather?

from the looks of the trailer the movie looks promising.

l8r

Originally Posted by Zzat
Because whoever wrote that summary is a whacko.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I haven't heard anything new. I've seen the Infernal Affairs trilogy, and I'm glad it will be an adaptation of all three combined. I like the original movies and don't see immediately why they need to be remade, but of course I'm sure Scorsese sees something in there for him that he can make his own.
What rock have I been hiding under? I didn't know Scorsese was remaking Infernal Affairs.

Originally Posted by Zzat
Hey Holden

I went to my local library and borrowed New York, New York and on the back of the VHS version it says "Acclaimed director Martin Scorsese (The Godfather) teams Academy Award winners Liza Minnelli and Reberto De Niro in this splashy, flashy musical spectacle celebrating the glorious days of The Big Band Era in The Big Apple."

Morons afoot, I expect.

Remaking the Infernal Affairs series – a series that simply doesn't need to be remade – is, for me, a sign that the terrible Miramax-ization of Scorsese is almost complete.

I love him and I'll continue to love him, but why he ever got tangled up with Harvey Weinstein is beyond me.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
I love him and I'll continue to love him, but why he ever got tangled up with Harvey Weinstein is beyond me.
Going back to the old "one for them, one for myself" way of doing things, I expect. Gangs of New York was an extremely ambitious project he'd wanted to do for years (since the '70s), but the massive cost was always prohibitive. Because Mirimax made that and now The Aviator happen (also an expensive period-piece), I think he feels he'll do a more obviously commercial project to esseantially pay them back for his faith in him. Cape Fear is still his most successful film in box office-to-cost terms, and his working a genre potboiler there that was "beneath" his talents in many ways actually payed-off both artistically and very much as far as getting in good with the studio's moneymen. The Color of Money begat The Last Temptation of Christ, Cape Fear begat The Age of Innocence, and in a similar way (though in reverse) Gangs and The Aviator are responsible for Infernal Affairs.

Considering Infernal Affairs is the first such project he's taken since Cape Fear in 1991, I hardly see it as a bad sign of anything. Besides, he's frippin' Martin Scorsese. I'll be interested to see how he adapts the trilogy into a single film, and what he brings to it of his own. I seriously doubt he'll do a re-make like the recent Insomnia or Vanilla Sky, where so very little was changed at all in the Americanization. Looking at how different the two Cape Fears are, and how different The Color of Money is from The Hustler, I'm sure he'll find his own way into the Infernal material.

Or, you can doubt him. I'll see how it shakes out, and I doubt it'll be a waste of time.

A system of cells interlinked
Anyone see The Aviator yet? Got a review?

i didnt know it came out already. well im definitly going to see it when it comes out

Put me in your pocket...
There was an interesting interview with Scorsese and Cate Blanchett last night on the Charlie Rose Show (PBS). Scorsese and Cate made me even more interested in seeing Aviator.

we just saw this one...excellennt acting, especially by di caprio as howard hughes...great direction by scorsese as well...

covers hughes' early life.... up until the flight of the spruce goose,..from 1927 to 1947..

film is 3 hours but doesn't bog down

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Have seen The Aviator .

Good movie, not great.

I thought the acting was excellent.

The CGI effects looked cartoonish.

Sorry Gwen, you're no Jean Harlow...

...should have used Charlize Theron.